Session 14

[OOC] WC GM: Since Anna's player isn't here this time, modified plan with her approval.
It is a few hours later - getting toward dinner time. Anna tried sensing shard use; at first she could not get a firm signal, but when she took off her "mears" and opened her senses…at least she was able to get a rough corner of the city before the intense feedback caused her to faint.
She is in the hospital now, and expected to fully recover after a long rest. Psychic sensitivity overload is rare, but common enough that there are recorded medical procedures for dealing with it, mostly resting somewhere isolated from the signal. The party is with her, in her room.
In the mean time, it seems the shard foundry is somewhere in the southern corner - ironically, the part of Foundry Town that the party first arrived at, nearest to both the beach and the mines.
Esme is looking over said "mears" , still trying to figure out just /how/ Anna does that in the first place.
Sam Spade: "The worst part is, I think, that now Anna will be on record as having had a psychic sensitivity overload."
The hospital nurse looms over Esme as she inspects, making sure that the patient's isolation gear remains firmly in place.
Sam Spade: "…I think we'll need to get out of town before the Jaegers get here."
Max Thorn: "Going to have to step twice as fast to avoid the Jaegers from here on out, if they manage to force a violation of the doctor/patient privilege."
Nurse Emily: "Oh, don't worry. We've kept those records QUITE confidential. And they have tried."
Esme: "…they're basically just tin foil, I don't even get it."
Sam Spade: "Good."
Esme perks, looking to the Nurse. "How recently?"
Nurse Emily: "I heard there was an attempt just a couple months ago. We…mostly don't keep those kinds of records any more, not where they can find them."
Nurse Emily: "Or at least coded."
Esme smiles. "Good."
Esme: "In any case, before Anna here pooped out, where she pointed to makes the most sense."
The nurse nods at Anna. "Her file will record her isolation gear as 'medically necessary equipment'. Any doctor who sees the file, sees where they are, and sees no further explanation will know their purpose."
Jack Layfield: "Weiiiiiird."
Sam Spade: "Alright, then…"
Nurse Emily: "So when the Jaegers ask for files identifying anyone as psychic, for the most part we don't have them."
Emily smiles a strained smile. "That doesn't always work. Sandbar Harbor, as you can imagine, needs more extensive measures, and…well. But they're on the far side of Amoda."
Esme: "…Harbor?"
Nurse Emily: "You know. Where…" She almost instinctively looks around the room and lowers her voice. "…those types gather."
Jack Layfield: "It's a place where they dock boats. but that's not important right now."
Max Thorn: "Sandbar Harbor's the one with the unnavigable-without-'help' maze you have to deal with if you're going there by sea."
Emily nods. "And most of the 'help' is currently unavailable, thanks to the Jaegers."
Max Thorn nods, in turn.
Jack Layfield: "And what 'help' there is isn't too likely to help Jaegers."
Esme stares very sternly at the Nurse for a moment, then letting loose a sigh. "Well that's an unfortunately helpful lead on that, thanks." She taps a note into her wristband.
Nurse Emily: "Speaking of which, I wonder what's keeping your minder. There's only a single page, simple form we needed him to fill out."
Sam Spade: "…Um."
Jack Layfield: "Uh oh."
Sam Spade: "That's something that's been bothering me for a bit."
Esme: "It used to bother me, but then I noticed he's been quite /good/ with his timing."
Esme: "Good for us, anyway."
Max Thorn: "I'll…be right back." Max heads out of the hospital and tools around town for a bit, very obviously Looking For Someone™.
Sam Spade: "Near as I can tell, he knows there's more to what's going on here than a lot of the other Jaggies are."
[OOC] WC GM: Looking for Tim? If so, he's in the hospital's lobby.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yup.
Max Thorn manages to walk past Tim on the way out, but pauses and walks back in. "Hey, Tim. The hospital needs you to fill out a form real quick…"
Tim looks up, holding a clipboard with one sheet of paper, as Max approaches. "Hi Max. Can you believe ALL this PAPERWORK they have me filling out? Boy oh boy, I guess I won't be able to join you until you're about to leave."
Esme: "True! But he has also conveniently avoided overhearing many of our little plans so far."
[OOC] WC GM: Does Max look over the sheet?
Sam Spade: "Very conveniently."
Sam Spade: "And I've started to wonder…"
Max Thorn glances it over.
Most of the information Tim filled out is correct, but the cause is listed as a concussion while touring the Steelworks Gym. And the sheet does seem to be filled out; Tim makes motions with a pen as if filling it out further, but the pen does not quite make contact with the paper.
Tim: "Are they almost done in there?"
Jack Layfield: "Name your parent or guardian. Hmmm, I can see how that's tricky." Jack comments as he peers over both Max's and Tim's shoulders.
Max Thorn: "…That's the diagnosis, all right. They'll probably keep Anna overnight for observation, but we should otherwise be good to go."
Tim: "No, that's Anna's, right? I know who her parents are. And so do you."
Tim: "Juuust my luck, I suppose, getting the five of you." Tim grins the grin of someone who is not even trying to hide a lie.
Sam Spade puts a hand on Anna's arm.
Sam Spade: "Sorry to get you involved in this, Anna. Don't worry, we'll shut them down."
Esme: "Well, fun subterfuge aside," She turns to Sam. "As far as finding where Anna was pointing to, I could maaaaybe rig something up with my dowsing equipment to help steer us?"
Esme snorts. "Don't worry, from what I can tell, her little wav ears are going to get us caught up in much more."
Sam Spade: "That would probably work. I imagine in a place where they're working with shards, they'll have a lot of shards."
Sam Spade: "…Plus with Jack and I walking around in their area, we should have a better idea of where to find Team Derp than we'll know what to do with."
Esme: "Oui! I could probably just tune them up to ignore smaller signatures. Probably."
Sam Spade: "And Malta's a bit tougher than she was the last time we ran into each other. You're ready for this, aren't you?"
Jack Layfield: "Greaaaaat. Plan stupid not-radical use ourselves as bait is a go."
Malta cheeps aggressively.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Wait.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Is Jack with Max or with Esme and Sam and Anna?
[OOC] Sam Spade: …Or is he just That Fast?
[OOC] WC GM: ^
[OOC] Esme: Gotta speed keed
[OOC] Max Thorn: Just that fast, I presume?
[OOC] WC GM: It is not that far from room to lobby and back.
[OOC] Sam Spade: He's the Flash. He's constantly running from the one conversation to the other waiting to drop quick one-liners.
[OOC] WC GM: We'll just say Jack went back and forth, then?
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Sure
Tim sighs, puts the clipboard on the counter, and looks up at Max. "Max, can I talk to you outside for a moment? There's something that's been bothering me."
Max Thorn: "Sure thing."
Tim leads the way out the front door, to a nearby alley.
Max Thorn follows Tim out and into the alley chosen.
Tim takes a moment to collect himself, facing away into the gloom of the alley. "…am…I doing the right thing, Max?"
Tim: "And am I doing it right?"
[OOC] Sam Spade: …I agree with Tim. Max is absolutely the person I'd ask questions like that of.
[OOC] WC GM: It was Max or Esme, and Max was on hand.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sam might ask Esme, but I don't know if Tim would. Given the supposed Jaggie animosity towards the arcane, Esme might be a little too much of 'the enemy.'
[OOC] Sam Spade: And Sam's…yeah.
Max Thorn: "…I'd say so, on both counts. It's working out fairly well, so far, anyway."
[OOC] WC GM: Oh, wait for it. :3
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Patience. How long will that take? =p
Tim: "It's worked, but…I don't know. That one was kind of blatant, wasn't it?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: To a true student of Tae Kwan Leep, a year is as a day…
[OOC] Sam Spade: A YEAR!? I WANNA BEAT PEOPLE UP RIGHT NOW!
Sam Spade: "…So how long would it take for you to set up your dowsing gear?"
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Why is Jack not the role model?
Max Thorn: "…Yeah, it kinda was. On the other hand, subterfuge is something you learn by practice. Perhaps drop by the library sometime and see if you can find books on being sneaky?"
Tim leans his back on an alley wall, turning but not fully facing Max, though Max can see a single tear rolling down Tim's face. "Practice, huh? Max…you're the academic. How much have you figured out already?"
Max Thorn: "That I want very much for Amoda to become a model of harmony between humans and pokémon. Period."
Sam Spade: "Cuz I'm gonna be honest. I have nobody that I can trail back to their warehouse."
That breaks Tim's gloom, bringing a smile to his lips. "Heh. That's what your profile said. But that's not what I asked."
Sam Spade: "And there's a reason Plan B is not Plan A."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Tim wants an in-character plot recap with spoilers
Esme: "…good question! Prolly shouldn't work in here though." she eyes the nurse. "Lobby should, though. Can't imagine it'd be that much." She scoots on out to get to work.
Sam Spade pats Anna's hand again, then follows Esme.
Jack tags along with Sam and Esme, roller blading indoors like a terrible person.
Nurse Emily nods approvingly as Esme, Sam, and Jack exit the room. She glances at Jack's roller blades but bites her lip.
Sam Spade whispers softly to Malta now that she is back in a public area with Jack. "Keep an eye out, Malta. Especially for Joltik…"
Max Thorn pauses, giving it some serious thought with a finger raised to forestall any interruptions.
Tim bides his time, not seeming to want to interrupt Max.
[OOC] Max Thorn: How much *does* Max know about the whole affair? Academics tend to be fairly insulated from politics, particularly when their work is in an apolitical field.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Shall I roll General Ed or so?
[OOC] WC GM: In this case? Max knows what you know.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Perhaps, but also consider what Max has heard in character conversations and some out of character conversations.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Okay. I'm kinda blanking, unfortunately.
[OOC] Sam Spade: MewTwo wars: Dojji had one, Amoda did not, Amoda used overwhelming conventional force (among other things).
[OOC] Sam Spade: Tim may be a clone of a kid paired with a MewTwo but we don't know for sure.
[OOC] WC GM: Actually, Amoda vs. Dojji was one of the Mewtwo Wars. A war requires at least two sides.
Max Thorn relates, quietly, what he's heard and seen, making sure it's obvious where he's conjecturing or has no first-hand knowledge.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Dojji had a MewTwo, or so we believe.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Amoda did not.
Tim: "Yeah, you remember the MewTwo Wars. Ah, sorry, I should have been clearer."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Amodans were told that Dojji was completely destroyed in the war; the Raider Tanks contributed to this and are apparently still very active.
Tim finally turns to look Max in the eyes.
Tim: "What have you figured out about this group? About you. Me. And the other trainers."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Oh.
Tim: "You KNOW who you are. You know who Jack is. Surely by now you know who Anna is. Esme and Sam are…likewise, important. And…" Tim breaks eye contact. "…you know…what I am."
Max Thorn: "…Well."
Max Thorn: "…I would say…that this group is a solution to a problem, as yet nebulously defined. And that we're to represent Amoda in the course of working toward that solution."
Tim smirks. "Not…that nebulous. And you're not representing anyone but yourselves."
Tim: "You don't have to."
Max Thorn: "And if I elect to?"
Tim shrugs. "Your choice. But don't hold yourself to it. Any more than I represent Dojji."
Max Thorn also shrugs. "You know my aspirations…and I'm fairly certain you know what my thoughts are. If I have to sacrifice myself for our future, then so be it."
Tim: "Rrh." Tim tenses and looks at Max again. "Please don't sacrifice yourself. You ARE the future." With that, he walks back to the hospital.
Esme considered hitting her dowsing equipment with a wrench til it worked-but wait, no, she's actually good at this stuff! Just take the panel off one of the handles with a screwdriver, mess with the wiring a bit…
Jack Layfield: "From what I've seen my parents do, you need to curse more."
Tim walks into the lobby a bit stiff, seemingly annoyed for a moment but shaking it off to smile at Esme, Jack, and Sam. "He-ey! Anna's alright?"
Jack Layfield: "It's not real engineering until you've dropped a hammer on your foot and started swearing."
Jack Layfield: "Looks like."
Sam Spade: "She'll be alright."
Tim: "Good. What's this?"
Sam Spade: "Esme works with some of the same materials as Team Derp does."
Jack Layfield: "I have no idea. I'm not the tech head my parents are."
Sam Spade: "She's tweaking her detectors to work less well so that they'll miss the resources she normally looks for and will only find larger signals - like the warehouse where Team Derp is presumably working on their equipment."
Esme: "'Cursing' in my case would probably have the opposite effect. I prefer the title of Technothurgy! Cuz y'know." She waggles her fingers.
[OOC] Esme: Tech roll to finagle a thingybopper?
[OOC] WC GM: Sure!
Esme rolled up 5d6: 12 (12) (SCIENCE)
Max Thorn trails after Tim, a bit lost in thought but clearly 'there' enough to avoid walking into anyone or anything.
Tim: "Oooh!" He tilts his head. "What's…'thurgy'?"
Sam Spade: "Religion, kinda?"
Tim blinks. "Oh."
Max Thorn: "That's 'theurgy'."
Sam Spade: "Oh, right."
Sam Spade: "So thurgy…"
Jack Layfield: "It's a suffix I think."
Sam Spade: "Thanks, Jack. So helpful."
Tim nods. "Let's go with that!"
Esme: "Well theurgy in general means rituals, often magical in nature, etc, etc."
Esme: "The point is, new and exciting things! Hopefully."
Tim: "So is this gonna find the bad guys?"
Esme snaps the panels back into place with a smirk. "If it works, it'll at the very least find a truckload of shards, so a win for me in any case. But more than likely."
Sam Spade: "Well, we've got a district, a homer, and…bait."
Sam Spade: "Let's go on a hunt."
Tim: "Are shards really that unusual? I mean…" Tim casts a glance at Max, then looks back at Esme. "…it's not like you're almost kinda sorta the only person, or one of the few, in all Amoda who truly works with them, riiight?"
Sam Spade: "Are they common in Dojji?"
[OOC] Sam Spade: If you want me to roll Guile to turn that around on him, I'd love to.
[OOC] WC GM: No need. This is the kind of hint Sam would pick up on in a heartbeat.
Esme: "Well…they're honestly common enough that I find it strange that most people don't! But most people find it strange that I understand them at all."
Tim shrugs. "Dunno. They're probably as common there as here, but…altered. Obviously."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Oh, I meant to throw him on the relative defensive.
Sam Spade: "Altered?"
Tim: "Well yeah. Most of Dojji didn't used to be a desert. Now it is. That'd change them, right?"
[OOC] WC GM: Not sure what defensive there is to throw him on here…?
Esme: "…In theory. It'd certainly make them more abundant, and plenty of previous elemental affinities might be overridden entirely."
Esme packs up her stuff. She's good to go.
Tim frowns. "More abundant? I wonder…"
Tim: "You mean…destroying the ground…can MAKE shards?"
Esme shrugs. "Well, easier to find at least. Shards tend to sift through sand."
Tim's eyes widen as he stares at Esme.
Tim: "…we thought they were just being cruel…"
Tim: "…is that how…"
Esme: "Maaaaybe? Shards are everywhere!" She points outside. "I could just as easily find shards in an alley over there as I could in a deep cave. Just a teensy bit more likely to run into them-Huh?"
Tim: "'Scusemegottamakeacall!" Tim RUNS out of the hospital.
Sam Spade: "I…"
Max Thorn: "…"
Sam Spade: "Interesting."
Sam Spade looks at Malta.
Max Thorn: "…/Do/ you know where those shards come from?"
Sam Spade: "I gotta get you wired."
Jack Layfield: "The ground?"
Esme: "Natural occurrence."
Max Thorn: "As in, what causes their formation."
Max Thorn: "Get a chatot, no need for a wire. Assuming you can train it to not talk while on stakeout."
[OOC] WC GM: So, proceeding to comb for shards?
Esme: "Mmm. Typically a coalescing of elemental energy, which can occur from all sorts of things! In /theory/ is not uncommon to find say, a red one, and then a green one even in the same area. Though most places I've been only have one."
[OOC] Esme: Verily
[OOC] Sam Spade: Piles of shards, rather.
Esme: "Though some also say they're ancient tools, like artifacts, or something of the sort. But there's no doubt as to their elemental affinity, so like with anything, if you had the resources and time you could probably make them artificially…"
Sam Spade is letting a part of herself listen to Esme - she can't not collate facts. But most of her is on the lookout for anyone who might be on the lookout for her.
There is definitely a signal coming from south. The sun has set, and the party's stomachs rumble a bit. The lit city streets do not quite form pockets of visibility between inky blackness, but it is difficult to see between the lit areas.
Max Thorn: "…"
Max Thorn: "I wonder."
Max Thorn pauses by a store to fetch a few meal-bars and beverages, and distributes them.
Esme scratches her head, but keeps her rods focused. "I am not sure where you'd get your baseline energy, though."
Max Thorn: "…I wonder if that's tied up in the Mewtwo wars."
Max Thorn: "Because I think the answer to that starts with P and ends with N."
[OOC] WC GM: Speaking of which, Perception checks, all.
Sam Spade: "…And has 'okemo' in the middle?"
Sam Spade rolled up 3d6: 7 (7) (Novice Perception)
Esme: "Well, yes, but…" She bites her lip. "That isn't the only possible soource."
Esme rolled up 2d6: 7 (7) (What is Spot)
Jack Layfield rolled up Error: 1:6:undefined variable 'novice'
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d6: 8 (8) (untrained perception)
Max Thorn rolled up 2d6: 9 (9) (what even is a perception)
[OOC] WC GM: What is spot? Oh eyes please don't hurt me… :P
[OOC] Sam Spade: Let's be clear here: Sam's the best Perciever in the group and you all did as well or better than her, so~
Max Thorn: "…I presume the other one starts with H, then."
The night is quiet as the group plods on, getting a stronger signal until eventually finding the southmost factory block.
Esme speaks more softly as they make progress. "Kind of? Sometimes? It wouldn't be completely out of line with my research." She waggles her gloved hand.
Finally there group comes across someones else - just a small group, clad in mottled grey, wandering the beach, checking equipment.
WC GM rolled up 2d6: 4 (4)
[OOC] WC GM: Yyyep. Count on Chessa.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Fortunately they rolled worse than we did!
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Chessa hates us all, not just the PCs but the GM too
As they pass, the other group's equipment beeps. One of them kneels, digs, and picks up something that glints in the moonlight…a shard. They wander along.
Sam Spade whispers. "Team Derp, I'd assume."
Max Thorn: "Could give 'em a taste of Ice Cove," Max whispers.
Jack Layfield: "Or we could punch them."
Sam Spade: "Hey, Malta, you ready to remind them who's boss?"
Max Thorn: "Since when were you a ninja, Jack?"
Malta hops off Sam's shoulder and flutters to the ground. She throws a look back at Sam and puffs her feathers up.
Jack Layfield: "Ninja? I was just gonna run up and punch one."
Esme: "/IF/ the plan is to take them out, I could probably confuse them all before you attempt that."
Esme: "Or, we could follow them to wherever they go next."
Sam Spade: "I'd rather take them out all at once. And tailing is standard PI tactics."
Sam Spade: "So let's go with that."
Sam Spade: "Sorry, Malta, but there'll be more to fight when we're ready."
On second glance - yep, Sam and Jack have seen those uniforms before. Team Stormcloud, and they do not seem to have noticed the party.
[OOC] WC GM: So, just following them?
[OOC] Esme: Word
[OOC] WC GM: Then Stealth checks.
Esme rolled up 2d6: 8 (8) (Metal Gear)
Sam Spade rolled up 2d6: 6 (6) (I can hide in a box, right+)
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d6: 8 (8) (not stealthy at all)
[OOC] WC GM: Max?
[OOC] WC GM: Hmm…someone roll for him? 2d6 again.
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d6: 7 (7) (sorry max)
The party manages to avoid alerting the Stormcloud trio, who remain focused on combing for shards. They seem to be picking up more per stretch of beach than Esme did…
Sam Spade throws a quiet but curious look at Esme.
Esme narrows her eyes. "Gotta make sure to check out their equipment. Though I guess that was the plan anyway."
…it takes an hour before Jack and Esme finally spot motion against the sky. Pokeplanes - quiet, but seeming to glide - hover over certain spots, apparently detecting shards in advance; the trio just confirm the exact location.
Sam Spade bites her lip.
Esme: "…That'd do it."
Sam Spade: "I guess they were able to duplicate the plans."
Eventually, one of the Stormcloud grunts speaks loud enough to hear. "…still don't know why we don't just send a beachcomber."
StormcloudGrunt2: "You mean like that tank? Yeah, if we built one of those and it was seen, this town would FLIP."
Jack Layfield: "Stands to reason, but I wonder how effective they really are."
StormcloudGrunt3: "Yeah. But nobody looks up; nobody's gonna see the planes this time of night."
StormcloudGrunt1: "I suppose. And they're keeping a lookout for cops, right?"
Max Thorn growls, low and quiet.
StormcloudGrunt2: "Err…"
Max Thorn: "End them."
StormcloudGrunt1: "You DID tell them, right?"
Max Thorn quietly lets Nootaikok out and points out the poképlanes. "Ice 'em up."
StormcloudGrunt2: "Uhh…a moment." The grunt whips out a radio. "Hey, so, could you also keep a lookout for police?"
Jack Layfield: "Aaaaaaand I guess it's go time."
Jack Layfield: "Sandy, come on out."
Max Thorn rolled up 1d20 2d6+19: 10 (10), 25 (25)
[OOC] Max Thorn: AC 2
Sam Spade: "Malta, block anything that tries to shoot at us."
Esme frowns, pulling out a pester ball.
Only one pokeplane is in the air at the moment, a pichu at the controls. It is unable to dodge the sudden snow, and crashes down in front of the grunts, who turn around.
StormcloudGrunt3: "Hey! Rude!"
StormcloudGrunt2: "Yeah, man, we're just-"
The lead grunt cuts the other two off with a sudden arm. "It's THEM! THOSE TWO!"
Sam Spade: "Go for that one, Malta!"
StormcloudGrunt2: "Uh?"
Jack Layfield: "Hi guys, how's team Borecloud going?"
StormcloudGrunt3: "Wh-oh. HERE?!?"
Jack Layfield: "Dude this is my home town."
Max Thorn: "Antheia, give 'em some light." Shortly afterward, some Fairy Lights pop into being and lazily float near the Stormcloud goons.
Esme hurls the ball at the cluster of Stormcloud Grunts!
StormcloudGrunt3: "How did you-"
StormcloudGrunt1: "Nevermind that. RUUUN!"
The trio of grunts break into a sprint, heading into the city.
Jack Layfield: "Go for the legs, sandy!"
Sam Spade: "Jack! We gotta find out where they're going!"
[OOC] Esme: Roll, Y/N?
One of them picks up the frozen pokeplane before leaving.
Jack Layfield: "I got em."
[OOC] WC GM: Sure, roll it.
Esme rolled up 1d20: 15 (15) (AC 6)
An explosion of orange smoke! [Confusion]
The trio flee…but not very effectively. It is not hard to overtake them.
[OOC] Esme: Blast 2, assuming they're close enough tog-ok sweet.
[OOC] WC GM: Going for capture?
Max Thorn follows. "Nootaikok, with me. Antheia, keep 'em lit." The pokémon chirp their assent as he follows the goons.
Esme rushes ahead, attempting to tackle the Pokeplane carrier. [Grapple?]
[OOC] WC GM: Roll it.
Esme rolled up 3d6: 8 (8) (Athletics)
WC GM rolled up 4d6: 10 (10) (Combat)
The carrier stumbles past Esme's grip, as if drunk.
Max Thorn: "Antheia, Vine Whip his legs!"
Max Thorn rolled up 1d20: 10 (10) (AC 2)
[OOC] WC GM: Improvised grapple rather than for damage?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yes.
Sam Spade: "Hey, Team Derp! Don't have much forethought, do ya?!"
[OOC] WC GM: Athletics or Combat check, then.
[OOC] WC GM: From Antheia.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Maneuver: Bon Mot on StormcloudGrunt1.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Uhh..okay…
Max Thorn rolled up 1d6: 5 (5) (they're both the same stat so here goes nothin')
WC GM rolled up 4d6: 12 (12)
The grunt is tripped up a bit, but not stopped.
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20 5d6: 12 (12), 14 (14) (Former is AC2, latter is Guile opposed by Guile or Focus. Result: Enraged.)
WC GM rolled up 2d6: 5 (5)
Max Thorn: "…Come 'round and tackle him, Nootaikok!"
Max Thorn rolled up 3d6+1: 14 (14) (Nootaikok's Athletics)
Grunt 1 stops and whirls. "Hey! We put a lot of thought into this!"
WC GM rolled up 4d6: 14 (14)
Sam Spade: "Psh!"
Sam Spade: "Let's attack every boyfriend and girlfriend in Amoda! We'll find the ones who screwed up our op at Sky City sooner or later!"
The other two grunts stop and try to pull their teammate along.
Max Thorn: "If you were thinkin', you wouldn't have used the poképlane technology. Now I'm going to have to report your stupid arses to the Jaegers."
StormcloudGrunt1: "It's not OUR fault they can't tell you apart!"
Max Thorn: "Speaking of which…TIM!"
Tim is nowhere in sight. But you can call him.
Max Thorn does so, after perhaps 15 seconds.
Tim: "Oh, hey Max! Good timing. Is Esme there? I need her to give a lecture."
Max Thorn: "Hey, Tim. Can the lecture wait? We've got a situation where a rival Team seems to have put poképlane tech into action."
Jack Layfield: "Not now! We have jerks to fight!"
Tim: "You mean Team Stormcloud? You found them? Where are you? I'll have the police come find you."
Max Thorn: "We found 'em, yes. We're near the beach…"
Jack isn't on the phone, just shouting at it
Tim: "I've got your coordinates. Keep them there, help's on the way!"
Tim hangs up.
Max Thorn: "Right. Max out."
Max Thorn: "All right, folks. Keep 'em occupied, Tim and the police are on the way."
Barely half a minute passes before sirens sound from north, west, and east, and police lights flash in the darkness. They are a few blocks away, though.
StormcloudGrunt2: "Err…"
StormcloudGrunt3: "Well THIS is awkward."
The party has, by now, surrounded the grunts.
Sam Spade: "Yeah. Might as well give up now."
Esme: "Oui."
Max Thorn: "I can still have Nootaikok ice up your legs, if you'd like to be difficult about this."
StormcloudGrunt1: "Okay, okay, we surrender. Just let our friend go." The lead grunt grabs the pichu out of the pokeplane and sets it on the ground.
Sam Spade eyes the Pichu. Anything unusual about it?
The pichu is…a pichu. Not even shiny.
Max Thorn: "…Nope. Unconditional surrender."
Max Thorn has a look at the pichu, though.
Max Thorn rolled up 5d6: 17 (17) (pokémon ed)
Sam Spade takes a look with her Pokedex.
The lead grunt nudges the pichu, who takes a nervous look at its apparent trainer then tries to walk past the party.
Nootaikok blocks the way. "Vul."
|Sleep is now known as Icecylee
Pokedex: "Pichu. It plays with others by touching tails and setting off sparks. This appears to be a test of courage."
Esme: "Woah there, mon petit chérie!" She kneels down next to the Pichu. "You need to stay here for a sec. We won't do anything bad, though."
StormcloudGrunt1: "C'mon, it's us you're after. Let my pichu go!"
Jack Layfield: "I don't really want to turn these idiots over to Jaeger."
The pichu cowers under Nootaikok.
Esme eyes the grunt. "Sure, after we make sure it's not carrying anything important."
Sam Spade: "What are you afraid they'll do to your pichu?"
Max Thorn: "Unlike some people, we don't mistreat pokémon. So I have to assume you want your pichu away for some other reason."
StormcloudGrunt1: "Search if you want, he's not carrying anything."
Indeed, the pichu does not appear to have any items on him.
The police lights grow closer. They will arrive in a minute or two.
Sam Spade frowns for a moment.
Sam Spade: "…Alright. If you're that worried about it…"
Sam Spade: "Max, let the pichu go."
Max Thorn kneels and whispers into Nootaikok's ear, who nods and steps back…but follows the pichu cautiously.
Sam Spade: "Malta, stalk it. Find out where it's going…"
The pichu runs into the night!
[OOC] WC GM: Perception checks for Nootaikok and Malta.
Sam Spade rolled up 3d6+2: 14 (14) (Perception for Malta)
WC GM rolled up 3d6+2: 13 (13) (Pichu Stealth)
Jack Layfield: "What, are we afraid the Pichu is the real brains here?"
Max Thorn rolled up 2d6+1: 9 (9) (Perception)
[OOC] Jack Layfield: brb
[OOC] Max Thorn: I presume Malta will chirp at Nootaikok if needed.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yeah, prolly.
Max Thorn: "It's a genuine pichu, but that doesn't mean it can't communicate with someone we'd rather it didn't."
On the one hand, the pichu has the cover of night. On the other, he does not seem to be taking much advantage, just fleeing as fast as possible. Malta traces the pichu to the southernmost factory block, where the pichu talks up a storm until he is let inside.
Sam Spade: "Yeah, but I'm pretty sure even Team Derp has the guts not to tell us where their secret base is."
Sam Spade: "Now they don't have to."
About the same time, a small swarm of police cars pull up and reinforce the party's encirclement. Police hop out, hands near their guns but not drawing yet. "HANDS IN THE AIR!"
Nootaikok perches unobtrusively, watching the building to see if the pichu comes back out.
The grunts quickly put their hands in the air.
The grunts are separated, one to a car. Officer Jenny smiles at the party. "Nice work! We'll interrogate them to see what's going on."
Officer Jenny: "But just in case, I'm going to have to insist you stay in town until morning."
Officer Jenny: "This might not be all of them."
Esme: "Probably not."
The pichu does not soon emerge from the factory. However, the factory does soon seem more active, judging by the sounds.
Max Thorn: "…I rather doubt it's all of them."
Nootaikok chirrups up at Malta, something to the effect of "You watch, I fetch."
Malta cheeps back.
Sam Spade: "They sent a pichu to warn their comrades. We sent a vulpix and a fletchling to tail them. Hopefully we'll know where their base is, soon…"
Nootaikok quietly sneaks away from the factory, then scurries back to the party.
Max Thorn: "…And there he is. Lead on, Nootaikok."
Sam Spade: "Officer Jenny? If you'd care to accompany us?"
Officer Jenny: "Hmm?" She nods to her comrades. "Get them back to the station; I'll go with these trainers."
It is a short walk to the factory - which, on inspection, seems more solidly built than most blocks. There are no windows, not even on the doors, though occasional bursts of smoke from the smokestack chimneys, along with sounds of welding, betrays activity inside.
Esme: "Hmm."
Esme brandishes her rods, and points them towards the factory.
Yep. This is the place. Esme has never seen such a strong signal before.
Esme: "Oh ho~"
A spark suddenly flares up along the perimeter of the nearest door, and slowly starts moving around the edge.
Sam Spade: "They're welding the door shut!"
Sam Spade: "…Oh, no."
Sam Spade: "They actually BUILT that tank they were talking about, didn't they?"
Sam Spade: "The 'Beachcomber?'"
Officer Jenny: "What tank?"
Sam Spade: "They called it a 'beachcomber,' and a ground tank, and said that it would attract too much attention, but I thought they'd just come up with designs for when they had their own territory."
Sam Spade: "…And now I'm worried that I was wrong and they just haven't deployed it yet."
Max Thorn: "Wait."
Max Thorn: "Wait a minute."
Max Thorn: "I bet it's whatever's in /there/ that has the Jaegers worked up."
Sam Spade: "I don't think so, but I agree that it's a definite possibility."
Sam Spade: "The Beachcomber was made to challenge their position, but it's also a secret."
Sam Spade: "The RT - well, we know what Tim has to say about them."
Sam Spade: "And it's not so much a secret."
Max Thorn: "On the other hand, we've ensured that the RT is gone."
Sam Spade: "But the Jaegers didn't know that when they left Ice Cove, since we hadn't left Ice Cove eather."
Jack Layfield: "Also Team Somecloud are kind of losers. Dangerous, but losers."
Officer Jenny frowns. "What do you know about this Team?"
Max Thorn: "It's possible Tim was allowed to hear about the Layfields' RT."
Sam Spade: "They want to weaponize pokemon to use them against Team Jaeger and take control of Amoda for themselves."
Jack Layfield: "They're also lame as all hell."
Max Thorn: "That'd jive with what I'd overheard back in Ice Cove…"
Sam Spade: "And we still don't know how they managed to weaponize joltik."
Officer Jenny: "Actually, our medical expert looked into that."
Esme: "I just know they're getting involved with some typically uncommon materials, and whatever they're doing involves a large supply of elemental shards."
Officer Jenny: "The joltik were…" Jenny looks ill for a moment.
Officer Jenny: "…well…you know how joltik can drink electricity from taps?"
Sam Spade: "…Draining electricity from brains?"
Officer Jenny nods. "Fortunately they were not able to convince the joltik to drink all the way, but that may have been just a matter of time."
Sam Spade holds out her hands. Malta flutters down into them, and Sam begins to stroke feathers into place.
Sam Spade: "…Oh, dear. Oh…" *bites back a curse* "…dear."
Officer Jenny: "As it is, temporary unconsciousness and short-term memory loss are the only effects."
Jack Layfield: "Yikes. That's inventive and lame."
Officer Jenny: "They were also trying to narrow target selection." She frowns. "Those joltik were meant as assassins."
Officer Jenny: "For you, I'm guessing. What exactly did you do to them?"
Sam Spade: "Stole the plans to their planes."
Esme: "Seriously, they really don't seem to like you two."
Esme: "Oh! That'd do it."
Sam Spade: "…Your officers should have the one we nabbed."
Officer Jenny: "Planes?"
Sam Spade: "Pokeplanes, small pokemon-controlled planes."
Sam Spade: "Their plan was pokemon bombing runs."
Max Thorn: "They had one in service tonight. Think your fellow officers have it now."
Officer Jenny peers at the factory. "…and planes need a base…"
Jack Layfield: "Or a carrier."
Officer Jenny: "Or a…"
Max Thorn: "Which is a base in motion."
The factory rumbles suddenly, its ceiling tilting to and fro.
Sam Spade: "Carrier it is…"
Soon the ceiling crumbles, and as if emerging from a cocoon, an airship the size of the factory block inflates and rises.
Officer Jenny: "…carrier."
Jack Layfield: "Oh boy."
Sam Spade: "Let's go!"
Sam Spade runs towards the airship, looking for some way she can hang onto it.
Max Thorn: "…You're the only one with a pokémon with wings."
Jack Layfield: "That's actually kinda cool. Fair play team Stormlouts, fair play."
Officer Jenny brings up her radio. "Code 500! Code 500! City about to be under attack!"
Jack Layfield: "Man why does this keep happening to Foundry Town? Do we just attract mad engineers?"
Air raid style sirens soon begin blaring throughout the city. Spotlights light up and focus on the airship.
Esme: "I don't know any scenario in which an airship counts as 'fair'."
Max Thorn: "…Esmé, you wouldn't happen to be able to project force with that arm-brace of yours, would you?"
The airship quickly rises above the rubble. To get up to it would require flight.
Jack Layfield: "In the scenario of being awesome or not."
The new Stormcloud ship turns, drifting quickly and quietly overhead.
Sam Spade draws to a halt.
Officer Jenny: "It's heading for the police station!"
Sam Spade: "Well, we have something to throw the Jaggies at…"
Esme: "Uh. Maaaaybe? I did tune it up, but probably not too far."
Jack Layfield: "You know, I think we could ramp onto it."
Officer Jenny: "Ramp?"
Jack Layfield: "We'd just need to jump off a building with our go-karts."
Officer Jenny blinks. "…you're crazy."
Sam Spade: "…Yeah…crazy, alright…"
Sam Spade looks at how high the airship is. Does it seem possible?
It does indeed seem possible, if only there was a ra…and just as Sam thinks it, she spies such a ramp on the airship's path.
Jack Layfield: "Please Jenny, you know me, I'm awesome."
Sam Spade: "Crazy awesome, with equal shares between the two."
Officer Jenny: "Tomayto, tomahto. You said something about the Jaegers?"
Sam Spade: "I think we can do it, though…"
Sam Spade: "They're coming here with a lot of guns."
Sam Spade: "Now we have someone to point those guns at."
Esme: "Not guns, rocket launchers."
Officer Jenny: "Do you know where they are?"
Sam Spade: "Tomayto, tomahto."
Officer Jenny: "Right now?"
Sam Spade: "They were walking up from Ice Cove, so…no."
Jack Layfield: "No idea, come on guys, let's do this." Jack takes off sprinting for his parent's gym.
Officer Jenny: "Walking here from Ice Cove? They'll be somewhere on Route 2. That's good enough; I'll have some cars sent to fetch them."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License