Session 20

Sam takes one look at the nursery and walks out, muttering about checking out Luther's place.
Meanwhile, Lucrece appears to be being kept from the other porygons by holographic screens playing simple patterns of bright primary colors.
Max Thorn taps a note into his pokedex to Madame Tommize. "Found the nursery."
Esme snaps a shot of Nursery in-place. "Huh."
Jack Layfield: "So uh. Now what?"
Sure enough, Sensor is coming down from upstairs. She looks up partway down, then hops on the rail and slides the rest of the way down, doing a simple hop to dismount.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Luther's middle name had better not be Lex. Nor Lux. :p
Sensor jabs an arm at Lucrece while glaring at Esme, its holographic screen with text popping up overhead. "PLEASE KEEP THAT AWAY FROM THE SOURCE. PRODUCTION CEASED MOMENTARILY."
[OOC] WC GM: Since this is a coastal city, would Lox be acceptable? :P
[OOC] Max Thorn: No. :P
Jack Layfield: "Woah! Hey, robobro voice pokemon? How'd you copy me."
Esme: "Hey now, was simply inquiring since this thing is supposedly missing." She points her thumb back towards the Nursery. "Come here, Luc-y."
The porygon eagerly obliges, hovering away from the shiny screens and back to its trainer.
Sensor: "THANK YOU." She switches to favoring Jack with a smile. "I USE WHAT IS EFFICIENT. THERE HAS BEEN AMPLE DATA OF YOU AVAILABLE FOR TRAINING."
Jack Layfield: "How?"
Max Thorn: "Dude, you're a Layfield. You've been on TV."
Sensor: "RECORDINGS. WITNESSING YOU IN ACTION PERSONALLY. YOUR PERFORMANCE IN THE CONTEST IMPROVED 45% OVER PREVIOUS REFERENCE POINT."
Jack Layfield: "I don't know if that's totally wack or flattering."
Sensor: "FRAN HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT I AM HANDLING NURSERY REINSTALLATION. THERE WILL BE A DELAY IN BADGE RECEIPT, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE THEM."
Esme: "Where did you retrieve it from, though?"
Sensor smiles, the screens displaying her speech flickering out for a moment. As she pauses, the party realizes she has not made a single sound since entering. Then the light of one screen attracts attention from inside the nursery room. "FROM HERE TO HERE."
Max Thorn: "So…why'd Luther try to hide it?"
Sensor: "INEFFICIENCY TOLERATED IN TRADE FOR DEEPER UNDERSTANDING: YOU ALREADY KNOW, AND YOU ADVOCATE THE SAME."
Jack Layfield: "Say what now?"
Sensor: "WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS TO THE SOURCE AS THE ONLY SOURCE?"
Jack Layfield: "Serious annoyance brah."
Max Thorn scratches his head. "So he's upset by Madame Tommize's attitude toward the porygons too?"
Sensor: "NO. HE IS UPSET BY SINGLE SOURCE RELIANCE."
Esme: "The whole lack of a backup thing, oui."
Max Thorn: "Ah. Right. So this was an attempt to force the issue for consideration?"
Sensor: "SINGLE SOURCE CAN BE OPTIMIZED IF NOTHING GOES WRONG. HOW OFTEN HAVE THINGS GONE WRONG IN YOUR JOURNEY?"
Max Thorn: "Entirely too many."
[OOC] Max Thorn: brb
Sensor: "EXACTLY."
Sensor: "GREATER EFFICIENCY IN PRACTICE WITH MULTIPLE SOURCES, AT LOSS OF THEORETICAL EFFICIENCY OF MONOSOURCE. REQUEST ASSISTANCE WITH RUSE TO CONTINUE SCENARIO AS PLANNED."
Esme: "So the plan is to just convince her to use more than one?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Back.
Jack Layfield: "Good luck convincing that woman of anything."
Max Thorn: "What would this assistance require?"
Sensor: "MERE ERROR OF OMISSION. YOU ARE HERE. NURSERY IS HERE, WHOLE, AND WORKING. SHE NEED NOT KNOW WHERE IT WAS RECOVERED FROM."
Jack Layfield: "Woohoo, more lying."
Sensor frowns. "NOT SAYING != LYING"
Max Thorn: "Omitting or telling only some of the truth isn't technically lying."
Sensor: "LIES INEFFICIENT. OMISSIO"
Sensor suddenly looks up and frowns.
Max Thorn looks where Sensor is.
Esme: "Only technically."
Sensor: "PHAROS. SITUATION. PLEASE FOLLOW, ESPECIALLY ESME." She runs back upstairs.
Max Thorn: "Besides, it's not like we haven't done that already."
The party gets the distinct impression they just saw a swear word.
Esme: "Especially? What now?" She quickly follows upstairs.
Max Thorn follows Sensor.
Jack Layfield: "Oh come on." Jack vaults a railing and sprints upstairs, Sandy following, wrench still clenched in her mouth.
Upstairs, the previously-empty common room now sports a few rows of chairs, dimmed lights, and a projector projecting a large square of white light onto one wall. Anna's father is setting up a podium near the square.
Max Thorn: "…Ah. Right. Lecture."
Jack Layfield: "Wait seriously? An actual lecture?"
Max Thorn: "Esme was asked by Tim to discuss certain matters. This is the arena in which she'll be doing so, yes."
Mr. Tommize looks up as the group approaches. "Heyo. I was just about to go looking for you. Apparently someone moved up the schedule."
Esme groans. "Right, that."
Tim blinks, then checks his pokedex, then facepalms. Sands looks over his shoulder and mimics his pose.
Max Thorn picks a seat along one edge of the audience, toward the back.
Jack Layfield: "To be honest, I thought this was one of those 'we're not mad, Jack, just disappointed, and yes you have to clean up the wreckage' lectures. Not like, a real one."
Jack grabs two seats, feet up on one, Sandy sitting down on his legs.
Anna's father finishes adjusting the podium and walks over. He is at least better dressed now - still casually, but he has thrown on an army jacket and pants, with a few medals on the jacket though it does not close all the way due to his belly.
Tim: "The scientists will be here in a few minutes. We should have had more warning!"
Esme: "I'm still not sure what exactly you're expecting me to tell them!"
Mr Tommize: "Yeah, well, things happen. You've just gotta roll with it. Esme, it sounds like they want to hear about how shards grown underground."
[OOC] Anna Tommize: Insomnia
[OOC] Anna Tommize: Woke up 4 minutes ago
[OOC] WC GM: Heyo. It's plausible that Anna could have been in completely stunned reaction to what Sensor revealed, if you wish.
[OOC] WC GM: And is just now recovering - or does once you've finished reading the logs.
Mr Tommize: "I mean, I can sympathize with their curiosity. Heck, my partner and I drove a tank in the war. Tanks aren't supposed to feed and breed like they're apparently doing in Dojji."
Anna Tommize drops her jaw.
Anna Tommize: "S-sensor, you're…t-tricking mother…?"
Esme squints. "I mean, I don't know about the tanks or anything though."
Sensor frowns at Anna. "NOT TO BE DISCUSSED UP HERE, PLEASE."
Anna Tommize shrinks under Sensor's frown.
Anna Tommize: "I-I'm sorry…"
Esme: "Shards in the ground is as the ocean being made of water though…" she pauses. "Hum. Good opening line, I guess."
Mr Tommize: "Oh, trust me, they've studied the tanks. But the shards, though…"
Jack Layfield: "It's kind of amazing what Jaeger doesn't know."
Tim frowns, but Sensor's screens light up before he can speak. "LIMITED EXPERIENCE. VERY LIMITED CAPABILITY. TEAM JAEGER SEEKS SURVIVAL."
Esme: "It seems most people don't know. It is sort of a niche 'science'."
Sensor: "THUS MY AGREEMENT TO HOLD LECTURE HERE."
Mr Tommize: "Hey, now. I know Fran says you'll be running this gym one day, but…"
Anna Tommize: "W-well, that's only because the secret p-p-psychic cabal organizes to hide them…"
Sensor: "DO YOU BELIEVE SHE WOULD OBJECT?"
Mr Tommize: "Well, no, but…"
Anna Tommize: "I-if people really knew we could end droughts and famines by using to control the weather by petitioning rayquaza…"
Sensor: "THEN WE PROCEED."
Tim perks up. "End droughts?"
Anna Tommize: "B-but the psychics who own the farm lobby tries to hide them…"
Anna Tommize tilts her head.
Esme takes notes. "That seems more a Kyogre thing…"
Anna Tommize: "I-I think…"
Esme coughs. "As far as legends go, anyway."
Jack Layfield: "Telling legends what to do is usually a bad idea."
Tim: "There's one drought we'd really like to end."
Anna Tommize: "K-Kyogre just does what Rayquaza asks. They had a medium sit out in a lighthouse for years meditating to try and talk to it…"
Sensor: "INEFFICIENT. FIND LEGENDARY AND GO TO IT. THEN ASK."
Esme nods at Jack and motions to Sensor. "Tell, no. Ask, worth a shot."
Anna Tommize starts fiddling on her pokedex before pulling up an article from the Amodan inquirer.
Anna Tommize: "S-see?"
The article is total garbage.
Anna Tommize: "They have all the evid….Ow! Meeps!"
Meeps glares at Anna.
Sensor: "ASK SUCCESS RATE NONZERO. DEMAND SUCCESS RATE PRACTICALLY ZERO. THEREFORE, ASK MORE EFFICIENT."
Tim frowns but says nothing in response.
Jack Layfield: "That's…kind of logical."
Sensor: "YOU WOULD KNOW. I HAVE FOUND YOUR STYLE OF LOGIC A USEFUL FACTOR."
Anna Tommize: "B-but what if they say no…"
[OOC] WC GM: …yes. Sensor just accused Jack of being logical.
Anna Tommize: "If you need it to help you, you'd have to start fighting it to compel it…"
Anna Tommize: "…B-but that'd be bad…"
Anna Tommize: "But it helps people…uuuh…"
Sensor: "NEGOTIATE. DISCOVER AND ADDRESS REASON FOR OBJECTION. IN MANY CASES, LACK OF RESPECT IS CAUSE; COMBAT IS CURE."
Jack Layfield: "You've learned logic from me? So do you know my cardinal rule? If it's awesome, do it."
Sensor: "NEGATIVE. OBSERVED CARDINAL RULE IS, IF IT WORKS, DO IT."
Anna Tommize gulps and looks up at Sensor.
Mr Tommize: "'If it works'? I think you don't know Jack."
Anna Tommize: "W-what's my cardinal rule…?"
Anna Tommize looks nervous.
Sensor looks at Anna, slowly smiling.
Anna Tommize shrinks.
Sensor: "DO WHAT'S RIGHT."
Anna Tommize glances back at the door
Sensor gives Anna a brief hug.
Anna Tommize: "Myeep!"
Meeps baaahs aggressively at Sensor. "She's mine!" it seems to say.
Anna Tommize very, very slowly puts an arm around sensor, quaking.
Anna Tommize: "P-please d-don't…."
Sensor looks down at Meeps, letting out a brief "amp" , as if to say, "mine too."
Anna Tommize: "Please d-don't hurt anyone…"
Meeps half-closes its eyes, as if in disapproval.
It is about that time that a small lab-coated flood of people walk in, taking seats. Not all of them look like Jaegers; Max recognizes one of the professors from Scale Mount, albeit from a department he did not frequent much.
Max Thorn: "…Fancy seeing Dr Watson here. Didn't think Physics would be interested."
Esme perks. "Someone you know?"
Dr. Watson looks up at that. "Oh, hey! Max Thorn, was it? I heard you'd picked up some interesting company."
Max Thorn waves to Dr Watson. "Hey, professor. It's been a while. How've you been?"
Dr Watson: "Keeping busy. Aaand…you must be our guest lecturer Esme, yes?"
Anna Tommize slowly wriggles her way out of Sensor's fluff.
Anna Tommize: "H-hello…"
Max Thorn: "Esmé, this is Doctor Emilio Watson, one of the lecturers in the Physics department."
Jack Layfield: "Hey Doc!"
Max Thorn points to each of his own compatriots and introduces them.
Sensor lets Anna go and heads off to the gym/engine analysis room.
Emilio nods. "Nice to meet you all. You have one of our more talented students helping you out."
Esme: "Ah! Oui! Esme Duval, sir."
Mr Tommize: "Alright, since everyone's here - Esme, start when you're ready." He trundles over toward Anna and sits, gesturing for Anna to take the seat next to him.
The projector's blank white shifts to an image of a desert, a squadron of rotom-possessed RT tanks improvising their bodies to shoot and shovel sand and scoop out shards.
Emilio looks forward. "That's the clearest picture you have?"
Mr Tommize: "I heard the people who took that photo nearly paid for it with their lives. They haven't dared get any closer."
Mr Tommize: "It was only thanks to their sandslashes they were able to get away and get the image to us."
Esme hesitantly makes her way to the podium. "Ah. Bonjour. Esme Duval, lecturing today on shards, I suppose…" she adjusts herself, clearing her throat. "Well, to start, shards are simply naturally occurring deposits of elemental energy." She places a handful of 4 orange shards on the front of the podium.
The senior Tommize shuts up as Esme begins.
Esme: "With the proper equipment and training, it is as easy to find a shard in one's front lawn as it would be to pick up a leaf off the ground! They are exceedingly common. That said, they are typically more easily found in caves, beaches, or other areas with loose soil." She looks behind her. "Which potentially has something to do with the image as shown."
Esme: "Ah… what else… By themselves, their natural essence is fairly mutable and doesn't amount to much. These orange shards in front of me are most commonly associated with the Normal, Fighting, and Dragon elemental types all at once, with no strong leaning to any of them. Though with outside influence…" She picks them up, repeating the demonstration from Foundry Town with a loud CRACK.
Esme: "They can be readjusted, in this case forming a single Shiny Stone."
Esme: "…and in general create other elemental affinitied items, such as Type Boosters, Bracers, etc."
Esme cracks the stone back apart.
Esme: "That's mostly it! Questions?"
Many of the scientists are taking note.
Emilio: "Are there means of encouraging their natural production, or synthesizing them?"
Esme scratches the back of her head. "None that I am personally aware of, though you are more likely to find shards of a particular leaning depending on its location. Blue shards in a snowbank, red shards in a volcano, if you get my meaning."
Esme: "So in theory you could perhaps terraform an area such that it is more predisposed to certain wavelengths of elemental essence, and so increase your chances of finding the color you want…"
Max Thorn mutters, "…which probably explains Dojji…"
Mr Tommize: "How large equipment are we talking? And would much larger be more sensitive?"
Esme: "Ah! I personally just use a set of handheld dowsing rods. So, not large at all. Personal-level, really."
One of Sensor's holoscreens pops up. "INDUSTRIAL HARVESTING = MINING?"
Mr Tommize: "Ah! Aheh, that's just one of our remote participants, everyone!"
Tim: "There weren't supposed to be any remote…"
Mr. Tommize glares at Tim. Tim stops.
Esme: "With more you could cover a wider area, but in experience there is typically a limit to detection, that varies from user to user… My current limitation is about 20 minutes a day, tops. After that, detection accuracy falls off wildly. Though…" She warily glances back at the tanks again. "Possible exceptions?"
The scientists begin murmuring among themselves.
Mr Tommize: "If there are no more questions, let's thank Esme for her information."
The murmuring dies down to light applause.
Esme hastily bows, and quickly makes her way off-stage at the first opportunity.
Emilio leans over to Max. "Very interesting. But if this goes where I think it is going, your expertise will be necessary to guide it."
The lights come up, and the projector blinks off. The scientists begin to file out.
Max Thorn: "That has occurred to me, yes."
Max Thorn: "The implications are, however, taking some time to be processed. Mostly because I can't always predict how these affairs we've been involved in are going to turn out."
Mr Tommize: "Hoo boy. Anna, what have you gotten yourself involved in?"
Esme faux-dusts her hands off with a sigh as she returns to the others. "Well that's done."
Emilio: "Indeed. I myself have been tasked with seeing if these shards can be used for rocket propulsion."
Emilio: "So far, I know that if it is practical at all, it will need a large quantity."
Max Thorn: "Depends on whether you can convince the shards to adopt a propulsive form or not."
Tim nods to Esme. "Thanks. There will be more, I'm sure, but that should satisfy them for now."
Emilio: "Yes, well, that's the trick. What Esme demonstrated up there? What if there were a machine to do it on a much larger scale?"
Emilio: "Alternately…Esme, what could you do with a gem as big as you were? Hypothetically, of course."
Anna Tommize: "Uuh…."
Anna Tommize: "I-I think maybe…"
Anna Tommize: "We should have mentioned that they also tend to be created in places with strong w-wavs…"
Esme: "Me, personally? A number of things, but I've already attuned my essence and am familiar with a number of arcane rites…" She pauses. "Ignore that. But most people? Probably just blow it up, since if it gets too large it may become unstable."
Jack has nodded off in his seat.
Emilio: "Right, of course. Fortunately, 'just blow up' is exactly what rocket fuel does."
Anna Tommize: "E-erm…"
Anna Tommize waves at Esme.
Mr Tommize: "Strong wavs, hmm? So, places that matter to people and pokemon?"
Anna Tommize: "Y-yes, but also in the presence o-of l-legendarily powerful pokemon…"
Esme: "Ah. Wavs aren't really my specialty Anna, so I don't know about that, much. Though in fairness, shards aren't either, just… closely related."
Anna Tommize: "W-when L-Lugers b-busted up that tank on the beach, for instance."
Anna Tommize: "W-we found lots of b-blue shards…"
The senior Tommize strokes his chin. "I think…hmm. There's this friend of mine in Rustle Fields who's been talking about…"
Max Thorn sneaks up on Jack and pokes him from behind.
Mr Tommize: "Anna…do you think it is possible this lecture could have been foreseen? Like, months ago?"
Esme: "Eh? The only blue shards I have are from back in Metro Beach."
Esme: "And the cove, too…"
Esme: "Hmm."
Jack Layfield: "AAAGH!" Jack falls off the chairs he's sprawled on, sending both himself and Sandy flailing into the ground with a clatter as sandy finally drops the wrench she'd been carrying.
Mr. Tommize looks over. "Oh! Hey, you found the wrench that work crew lost. Thanks!"
Sandy: "Saaaaaaaandile." Oh no, not friend wrench.
Emilio joins the departing scientists, leaving the party and gym residents alone.
Anna Tommize: "F-forseen…?"
Max Thorn attempts to stifle a snicker. He does not wholly succeed.
Mr. Tommize gives Anna a serious look. "Anna. I think…look, could you promise me something? When you get to Rustle Fields, find Di and talk about all this. I think you've been wrapped up into somethiing much bigger than either of us."
Mr Tommize: "Just mention that you're looking for Di. You'll be found."
Jack picks himself off the ground as Sandile scrambles up him and climbs onto his shoulder.
Max Thorn: "It's not polite to fall asleep at a friend's lecture, y'know."
Anna Tommize: "Y-yeh, sure thing pa…"
Mr Tommize: "Thanks, kiddo! And stay safe! I want to see you again once you're the new Champion!" He hugs Anna again.
Anna Tommize: "E-er…"
Anna Tommize: "W-who's Di…?"
Mr Tommize: "Hmm? Oh, Di is…" He looks around, as if suddenly remembering there are others present. "…sssomeone you'll meet in Rustle Fields."
Tim eyerolls. "You mean the alleged leader of the resistance cell in Rustle Fields?"
Mr. Tommize blinks. "Aheh. You heard that?"
Mr Tommize: "I don't know nothin' about no resistance cell, honest! You probably mean a totally different Di!"
Tim: "Sure, sure. Different Di. Whatever; I'm sure we're just Di-ing to meet him." Tim winks.
Sands facepaws.
Max Thorn winces. "That was bad, Tim, and you should feel bad."
Anna Tommize frowns. Meeps chomps down on Tim's ankle.
Anna Tommize flinches
Anna Tommize: "Meeps!"
Anna Tommize starts tugging on her Mareep to pull it away from Tim.
Tim tries to keep a stoic face. Sands pries Meeps off.
Tim: "Iiiii thinkIneedafirstaidkitOW!" He limps off, assisted by Sands.
Sandy sees pokemon roughhousing and decides to leap off Jack's shoulder onto Meeps and Sands.
Sands is away quickly, but Meeps is still there to be leaped onto.
Sandy: "SAND SAND SANDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE!"
Meeps beliggerently stands its ground and baahs. "Back off, bitch. I'm mean," it seems to imply.
Mr. Tommize blinks. "Huh. Y'know, I think it's been a while since we've had a pokemon fight in here. Hey, help me get them some space." He begins picking up and packing away the chairs.
Max Thorn helps with that effort.
Sandy belly flops onto Meeps, only to bounce off the fluff and go sprawling.
Sandy: "Saaaaaaaaaand!"
[OOC] WC GM: Let me know when you're ready to wrap session, and I'll set up the segue.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Ready whenever.
[OOC] Esme: verily
Meeps bellows. It comes out as a cute squeaking sound.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: I am ready
[OOC] Anna Tommize: same
Just then, Fran pokes her head in, face livid. "A-HEM!" She points to Anna and her husband. "You two, out front with me now! It seems that Luther has something to confess to."
Sensor walks on by, scurrying to the front. "PROMPTNESS SUGGESTED. INEFFICIENT TO DELAY. ALSO, AMUSEMENT ANTICIPATED."
Fran raises an eyebrow. "I'm glad one of us thinks this will be funny."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License