Session 21

Esme stays behind to help with cleanup, and Jack to pull Sandy out of the floor. (There has been a volume of poetry written on the perils of having a sharp, quilly back. It is unclear whether the author was human or pokemon.)
The rest of the party, with Fran and Sensor, make their way up front, where a blushing Luther stands near Sam.
Rep is leaning against a column, arms crossed, both as if to reuse stock animation and this time to tell Luther, "You're on your own this time."
Anna Tommize: "Hello Brother."
Sam Spade: "Hey, Anna…"
Luther: "Hello, Anna." He sighs. "It looks like it's time to come clean."
Max Thorn picks a nearby wall to hold up.
Sam Spade: "Not like you have a whole lot of choice there."
Luther: "It had to be sooner or later. At least right now my little sister's around."
Luther: "So…yeah, Officer Jenny and I have been…dating."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, cuz that's gonna make this so much less awkward."
Sam Spade: "Heh…dating…"
Luther: "…ACTIVELY dating."
Fran: "You know I have not approved any such activity, young man."
Luther: "Yeees, mother, I know. That's why we've been forced to force your approval."
Fran: "What do you…"
Fran pales. "You. Wouldn't. DARE."
Sam Spade: "And what a relief it was to find that one of my suspicions actually turned out correct."
Anna Tommize: "what"
Max Thorn: "Isn't really any of your business who your children decide to spend the rest of their lives with."
Max Thorn: "Although I can understand wanting to keep them safe."
Anna Tommize gulps and looks between Fran and Luther.
Sensor's screen pops up. "LOOKING FORWARD TO HATCHING RESULT. WILL GLADLY CARRY LUTHERTWO EGG TO ENHANCE PROCESS."
Fran: "You…knew?!?"
Sam Spade drops her notebook.
Sensor: "DEDUCED. WILL IF PERMITTED RAISE LUTHERTWO TO HIGHEST ABILITY. HUMANS ARE TYPELESS, SO NO GYM DISADVANTAGE. PERHAPS ENTER CHAMPIONSHIP IF THAT EXISTS AGAIN BY THAT TIME."
Anna Tommize sweats like buckets.
Sam Spade: "Um."
Sam Spade: "I…human biology doesn't work like that."
Tim sidesteps to Max. "What are they talking about?"
Anna Tommize: "U-umm, Mother…"
Anna Tommize tugs gently on Fran's sleeve.
Fran just stands there, left eyelid twitching.
Max Thorn: "…Officer Jenny's pregnant, so Luther's insisting on marrying her. I think."
Tim: "Oh."
Anna Tommize: "P-P-P-Perhaps it may be wise to a-allow Brother to continue? A-an alliance with the police c-could…"
Luther: "She's not pregnant yet, but we've been trying."
Anna Tommize: "I-I-It may prove useful…"
Anna Tommize is staring at the floor while saying this.
Luther: "Aheh…Sam's pokemon kinda, spied on us."
Max Thorn: "That tends to happen when people get sneaky, yes."
Fran gives Malta an evil eye, for a moment.
Malta shakes her tailfeathers and cheeps merrily.
Sensor: "WAS JOKING. HUMAN MORE LIKELY TO RISE TO OVERTHROW TEAM JAEGER AND-"
Tim stomps on Sensor's foot. "I'm right here, you know!"
Sensor glares down at Tim. Tim and Sands stare back up, defiantly.
Sensor: "MOVING ON."
Tim: "THANK you. Sheesh."
Sam Spade: "Indeed."
Sam Spade: "Now-"
Fran blinks at this. "…Anna, why are we not swarmed with Jaegers seeking our arrest?"
Max Thorn whispers to Sam, "Do we want to blackmail her into treating the porygons better, or…?"
Anna Tommize: "…I-I have no idea, Ma'am."
Anna Tommize: "Maybe b-because we have Tim…?"
Fran: "Please acquire one, dear. This seems highly irregular."
Anna Tommize gulps and straightens out.
Anna Tommize: "Yes Ma'am Sorry Ma'am."
Sam Spade whispers to Max, "With what?"
Fran nods. "It is alright not to know yet. No one knows everything. But do know what you need to find out, and do it."
Sam Spade: "What would the Jaegers be coming here for? The possibility that a kid might rise in rebellion, yet?"
Max Thorn: "Not swarmed by Jaegers because I lied to lawful authorities, on several occasions."
Tim folds his arms. "Disrespect. And I'll let it slide…this time."
Sam Spade: "Ah. From…Sensor?"
Max Thorn: "Please don't put me in a position where I would need to come clean."
Sensor: "MOVING ON. ESTIMATED CHANCES OF PREGNANCY WITH NO FURTHER INTERACTION 65%."
Max Thorn: "For instance, the custody of the porygons. This Gym must be registered as a natural habitat for them, as soon as you can arrange it."
Sensor: "ESTIMATED CHANCES OF NO FURTHER INTERACTION WITHIN NEXT 48 HOURS 1%."
Luther blushes.
Fran: "Why would we do that? We have gone for centuries with no such registration."
Max Thorn: "Because otherwise Team Jaeger will be extremely angry to learn that an accredited gym is in violation of the custodial limit."
Max Thorn: "Which, I have perjured myself to ensure they *don't* learn that, at least from myself or this group."
Sam Spade: "That said, a member of Team Jaeger is right here, right now, so registering the Gym as a natural habitat is probably pretty urgent."
Anna Tommize blushes and hides her face.
Fran: "I…suppose, it might do no harm."
Sensor: "REGISTRATION SUBMITTED."
Sam Spade: "Thank you, Sensor, excellently done."
Fran actually smiles, for once. It is akin to a fracture appearing in a glacier. "Ah. Once again, you are my most reliable."
Anna Tommize peeks out at the smile and slowly lowers her hands.
Anna Tommize: "I-I'm sorry for not submitting it…"
Sensor: "ANTICIPATED. PREPARED. WAS ONLY AWAITING PERMISSION."
Anna Tommize: "I should have anticipated the need and-"
Anna Tommize: "…Y-yeah…"
Sam Spade: "Anna. You're not part of the Gym structure."
Sensor: "NO SHAME. YOU ARE NOT WIRED TO CITY'S CENTRAL DATABANKS."
Sam Spade: "If Fran expects you to do something on behalf of the Gym, it's because she's a-"
Sam Spade: "Anyway."
Luther blinks. "…uh, Sensor, neither are you."
Sensor looks at Luther and smiles.
Luther: "…Anna…did you teach Sensor to HACK?!?"
Anna Tommize: "N-noooo?"
Max Thorn: "Could've been one of the porygons."
Anna Tommize gulps and looks at the floor.
Luther: "Oh boy."
Fran: "Sensor, I know what we have discussed, but there are limits."
Sensor: "YET NO OBJECTIONS: ONLY SUBMITTED REGISTRATION. DID NOT ALTER RECORDS TO APPROVE. DESIRE TO BE LIKE ENGINE: ORDERED, EFFICIENT WITHIN SELF."
Fran: "Yes, that is what I have taught you."
Sensor: "BUT EXIST WITHIN CHAOTIC WORLD. ENGINE'S OUTPUT ONLY GIVEN MEANING BY WORLD. THUS STUDY OF LAYFIELDS, AND OF SISTER." She looks right at Anna.
Anna Tommize squeaks and shrinks under the gaze.
Sensor: "IF"
Anna Tommize: "I-if…?"
Sensor gulps, her screen's text coming out slower than usual. "if could please consider as such"
Anna Tommize: "O-OK…sis…"
Sam Spade: "Awww."
Sensor nearly teleports, dashing over to hug Anna. "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU"
Sam Spade: "…Meeps, watch it."
Sam Spade glares warningly at Meeps.
Meeps ineffectually rams into Sensor's legs.
Anna Tommize: "Wawawwawawawawa"
Anna Tommize is hugged
Fluff meets fluff!
Anna Tommize: "O-ooh…"
Anna Tommize: "Fluffy…"
Anna Tommize slowly relaxes into the hug. Meeps goes ballistic and starts baahing loudly at different people.
Anna Tommize: "E-erm, I think my p-partner is…"
Sensor releases Anna. "UNDERSTOOD. MEEPS VERY PROTECTIVE."
Anna Tommize crouches down and gives Meeps a headrub to start calming it down.
Max Thorn: "Don't bleat at *me*, Meeps. *I* have no control over what Sensor does."
Anna Tommize: "W-well, you guys are sister and…"
Anna Tommize pauses and looks down at Meeps.
Anna Tommize: "What *is* Meeps?"
Sensor: "YOUR FRIEND."
Sensor: "YOUR PARTNER."
Sensor: "YOUR POKEMON."
Meeps proceeds to chomp Anna's nose.
Anna Tommize: "Waaagh!"
Max Thorn snickers.
Sensor: "YOUR SELF-APPOINTED GUARDIAN AND MENTOR."
Anna Tommize sniffs.
Anna Tommize: "O-OK…
Max Thorn: "I think she meant in terms of gender, Sensor."
Sensor: "UNCERTAIN ABOUT QUALIFICATIONS FOR LAST ONE."
[OOC] Anna Tommize: "Oh I have no idea."
Meeps stands proud atop Anna's leg. It conquers.
Sam Spade: "Meeps is more assertive and wants Anna to learn to be more assertive."
Sam Spade: "So that's Meeps' 'qualifications.'"
Sensor: "IS MALE. IF SUGGESTING LIKE LUTHER AND JENNY, NEGATIVE."
Sam Spade: "No, no, definitely not."
Max Thorn: "Perish the thought."
Max Thorn: "Rapidly."
Anna Tommize: "Huh."
Anna Tommize proceeds to blush and then stand up.
Anna Tommize: "N-no!"
Sensor: "CARES ABOUT ANNA. ABUNDANTLY CLEAR FROM ALL HAS SAID."
Fran: "Anyway. I am informed the nursery is back in place and in working order, thanks to you."
Anna Tommize: "U-uh, yeah…"
Anna Tommize: "I-I hope this can make up for failing to secure the tank…"
Fran: "I'll present to your friends inside in a moment, but since you are here…" She digs in her pocket and proceeds to hand out badges and coins. "It is my pleasure to present you with your well-earned Wire Badges, and four thousand pokeyen each."
Sam Spade: "Thank you…"
Anna Tommize: "Thanks, Mom…"
The Wire Badge proves to be wires in a circuit, twisted repeatedly into a cloverleaf pattern and then further into a mandala.
Max Thorn accepts graciously, then pops it into his badge case.
It almost looks as if it is live, but none of them hold any charge - except the one she gives to Anna, which has just a bit of a spark briefly. As the spark comes out, an uncharacteristic gleam of mischief briefly colors the corner of Fran's eyes, or perhaps that's just the light.
Anna Tommize accepts it and rolls it over a few times.
Anna Tommize: "This one feels…"
Anna Tommize: "…Erm, Max, can we trade?"
The wire is stiffer than it looks, though about as sturdy as one would expect a badge to be.
Fran: "Now, now. That one is for you, dear."
Anna Tommize bites her tongue.
Anna Tommize: "O-oh, it's…"
Anna Tommize frowns.
Anna Tommize: "Oh…"
Anna Tommize: "O-OK, Mother…"
Fran: "When you hold it, I hope you will feel my 'wavs'."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Anna Tommize: "I-I will see…"
Fran winks. "And let it remind you to call home when you have news."
Anna Tommize: "O-OK…"
Fran: "Really. I was worried I'd be digging your body out of that engine."
Anna Tommize slumps down slightly.
Anna Tommize: "Which engine?"
Anna Tommize: "T-the tank?"
Max Thorn: "The one in the airship, presumably."
Fran: "The airship's."
Anna Tommize: "O-Oh. Well, I was erm…"
Anna Tommize: "I…MAY…have been in hospital during that incident…"
Anna Tommize: "D-due to, erm, well the doctors said it was psychic sensitivity overload…"
Fran: "…ah. And here I'd thought you'd proven tougher than a crashing airship, once more."
Fran: "You're as tough as your father in his prime."
Anna Tommize: "I'm sorry to let you down again…"
Anna Tommize: "T-tough…?"
Anna Tommize: "Well, I did lick a power line…"
Anna Tommize: "That voltorb made it look so tasty…"
Fran rolls her eyes. "Tough of body. Between you and Meeps, you could probably take a tank shell and survive without major injury."
Anna Tommize: "O-oh. Err, well, m-maybe.."
Tim: "U-umm…actually, she did, when we first got to Foundry Town."
Anna Tommize: "Meeps did, but I've never really been…"
Anna Tommize: "Tim!"
Fran: "Not. Surprised."
Fran looks at Anna, not fully facing her. "But please do not wrestle tanks too much, dear."
Anna Tommize: "Y-yes mother."
Anna Tommize straightens up.
Anna Tommize gulps.
Fran: "And…" Fran eyes Sensor and Luther. "I get the distinct impression, that certain hijinks will continue until I agree to a backup power source."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Fran looks at the party. "Without getting into specifics, would you agree with that assessment?"
Sam Spade: "It seems…probable."
Max Thorn: "You should have a backup anyhow. Having a single point of failure is pretty much *begging* for hijinks."
Anna Tommize: "I-I-I'm still loyal, mother…"
Sensor and Luther sweatdop in unison.
Fran: "Indeed, but you have a pokemon journey just now."
Max Thorn: "If it helps, the Egg Scouts have a motto. 'Be prepared.'"
Anna Tommize: "O-Oh, yeah…"
Fran: "Speaking of which, I hope you are prepared to pay respects in the Pillar Field, my daughter. I hear word that you may have to." She glances at Tim.
Fran's eyes spy Max and Sam. "Have the two of you ever been to Dojoholm before?"
Sam Spade: "I…no."
Fran: "Sensor?"
Max Thorn: "Nope."
Sensor's holo-screen pops up an image of a vast field of stone pillars, barely-carved tree trunks, and rusting iron beams planted like markers.
Max Thorn: "The xatu I spoke to showed me that, yes."
Max Thorn: "Told me I should try to avoid the place. Gave me advice on how to proceed upon encountering it, if I couldn't."
Fran: "It is a graveyard of honor. For centuries, timburrs, gurdurrs, and conkeldurrs have paid respects to the fallen, who died in this or that noble service."
Fran: "…it is smaller than Elysium Valley, for obvious reasons."
The picture spans at least half a mile across.
Fran sniffs. "I will not have my daughter pass it by without at least paying respects."
Fran: "My husband's squadron, save for him and his partner, are buried there."
Sam Spade: "Ah…"
Sam Spade bows her head respectfully.
Fran: "So she shall be visiting it, as part of Dojoholm. With that, our business is concluded. Luther, DO make sure they have accommodations." Fran turns and sweeps back into the gym, followed by Sensor.
Tim cocks his head and looks at Max. "So, that's what it's like to have a mother?"
Sam Spade: "What. A. B-oh, yeah, Luther."
Sam Spade: "Where are we gonna be staying?"
Rep detaches himself from the pillar and tosses Sam a set of hotel keys.
Sam Spade catches them. "Thanks?"
Luther: "I got you a suite at the best hotel in town. It's right where the routes meet!"
Luther: "Room service included."
Sam Spade: "That…"
Anna Tommize: "Pillars…"
Anna Tommize leans back and thinks.
Sam Spade: "…Huh. Fran REALLY wants you to anticipate, doesn't she?"
Luther: "Now if you'll 'scuse me, I think Fran wanted to talk to me AND her 'mon."
Max Thorn: "Hm."
Luther walks inside. Rep shakes his head and follows.
Max Thorn: "Just smile and nod. And then do your own thing."
Luther calls out just as he walks in, "I always do!"
Max Thorn: "To answer your question, Tim…that's what it's like to have a flaming control freak for a parent."
Sam Spade: "Agreed."
Tim: "Uh…huh." He frowns.
Anna Tommize: "Max…"
Anna Tommize: "Can you take a look at something for me?"
Max Thorn: "Sure. What would I be looking at?"
Sam Spade spies unabashedly.
Anna Tommize: "The badge my Mom gave me is…weird."
Anna Tommize presents it for inspection.
Anna Tommize: "See the battery?"
Anna Tommize: "It's all…squiggly…"
Max Thorn inspects it thoroughly… ((Technology Ed?))
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah. Sam too.
Sam Spade rolled up 2d6: 9 (9)
[OOC] WC GM: Medicine Ed would work too.
[OOC] Sam Spade: 'sokay, Sam doesn't have that, either. I figured she was gonna have no luck with this.
Max Thorn rolled up 4d6: 13 (13)
Sam can see at a glance that there is a battery attached to Anna's Wire Badge, unlike Sam's or Max's.
To Max, the battery is obviously not mass-manufactured.
It is an easy guess that Fran personally manufactured this one.
Max Thorn: "…"
Max Thorn: "I don't think I've ever encountered a blood-powered battery before."
Max Thorn: "And, to be quite honest, I don't want to ever do so again."
Esme is there, when she was not there before. There is a strange glint in her eye. "Blood battery?"
Max Thorn: "Yup. Almost certainly using Fran's blood, too."
Anna Tommize: "E-eww…"
Anna Tommize recoils.
Esme: "Huh. Odd, but seems doable. I miss anything? I got my badge after cleanup, but they seem kind of…pre-occupied when I left."
Sam Spade: "Uh…huh…"
Sam Spade: "Ah, yeah."
Max Thorn: "Kinda how I feel about it, too, Anna."
Sam Spade: "We didn't say anything, but Fran figured out that Sensor and Luther were working together to stage the theft of the Nursery."
Anna Tommize clearly doesn't want to be near the badge.
Sam Spade: "She's agreed to try to work on a backup."
Sam Spade: "Also Fran doesn't approve of Luther spending time with Officer Jenny."
Anna Tommize: "W-what's it powering…"
Esme: "Ah. That'd explain all that then." She shrugs. "On his own, with that."
Max Thorn: "That…is an excellent question. Esme, you want to have a look?"
[OOC] WC GM: Tech Ed if you want
Esme: "Sure! Blood's a pretty common reagent, it'd be easy enough to make a battery if you were electric or poison-affinitied…" She peers over at Anna's badge.
Esme rolled up 5d6+1: 15 (15) (Tech Ed What is Blood)
Esme: "…Huh."
Esme: "Did someone get zapped?"
Tim: "Anna did."
Esme: "Ah! Then yeah, it was that. All out, now."
Esme: "Neat, if short-lived. Gives me some ideas, though."
Tim: "…so…you can use people as batteries?"
Esme glances over hers. No battery. "Guess Anna got the lucky buzzer."
Tim: "Just electricity, or…other power sources?"
Esme: "You can use a bunch of things as batteries. …Just usually not very long."
Anna Tommize: "E-erm…"
Sands steps in front of Tim, makes eye contact, and waggles one claw as if to say, "I know what you're thinking, and no."
Anna Tommize: "I dun w-wanna be zapped by blood…"
Anna Tommize: "Esme? Am I OK?"
Anna Tommize quakes slightly.
Esme: "You won't be! Or at least shouldn't be, anym-wah."
Tim sighs and walks along, toward where Luther said the hotel is.
Esme blinks.
Esme: "Why wouldn't you be?"
Anna Tommize: "H-her blood thing zapped me…"
Anna Tommize: "W-what's it for?"
Anna Tommize: "Mom doesn't make u-useless things…"
Esme: "Well, it certainly wasn't to actually cause any damage," she rubs her glove. "You'd need more effort for that. Looks like it was just…" She twists her face, thinking. "Out of character, but it seems just a joke, oui?"
Max Thorn: "I'd probably put it away and forget about it, at least for now. It may be relevant at some future point, though."
Sam Spade: "Quite."
Sam Spade: "I…don't see her lightening up enough for a prank. But I do see her setting up a gambit well in advance."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License