Session 24

The party soon enough finds their way out of Pillar Field, to the outskirts of Dojoholm proper.
There do not seem to be streets in the ordinary sense. Just buildings - one here, one there, some with yards fenced off (always by wooden pillars, never chain-link or picket), some just standing there.
Max Thorn looks 'round. Any obvious pokémarts?
Serious-looking men, women, and pokemon travel from point to point, each with a focused expression.
Sam Spade does not have her game face on, and so is looking from man to woman to pokemon, naked curiosity on her face.
It takes a moment to identify the pokemart, and then only by the iconic blue roof. Likewise, there is a pokemon center in the distance, with two humans and two machokes standing in front guarding it.
Esme snaps photos with her dex, then looks up some local info.
Jack Layfield: "Well this place seems okay if a bit lametastic."
Jack Layfield: "Where's the excitement?"
[OOC] WC GM: Perception checks
Max Thorn checks out the supplies available at the 'mart, with particular focus on pokéball availability.
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d6: 8 (8) (perc)
Max Thorn rolled up 3d6: 9 (9) (perception)
Sam Spade rolled up 4d6: 9 (9) (Perception)
In the reflection in the pokemart's door, Max and Sam see a machamp that has been hurtled through the air - apparently, tackled by a rattata - flying right at Jack.
Max Thorn: "Jack! Look out!"
Jack Layfield: "Such a boring- AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Jack dives out of the way
Sam Spade blinks and surveys the situation.
The machamp rolls upon contact with the ground, clutching its assailant to its center of mass, then belly-flops upon the rattata. A nearby pidgey unleases gust after gust at the machamp, but the machamp just shrugs it off.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Why am I the one always targeted by dramatic irony?
[OOC] WC GM: Because it's ironic.
Two trainers - brothers, by the look of them, one older and laconic, one younger and full of energy - run up.
YoungerBro: "Awesome! Do it again! Tackle his legs and ankles!"
[OOC] Jack Layfield: It's like RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN on your wedding day
The older brother yawns. "Just keep gusting and keep your altitude. He can't hit you from down there."
Sam Spade: "Hey, Malta? Get into a quick response position, will ya?"
Malta cheeps, then takes off from Sam's shoulder, circling well above the pidgey for now.
The machamp looks up, then grabs the nearly-fainted rattata by a leg and hurls it at the pidgey, scoring a direct hit. Rattata and pidgey are fainted by the time they hit the ground.
BrothersInUnison: "Awww." They recall their pokemon.
Esme: "That's not how you use Rock Throw, but a Rat is fine too, I guess."
Jack gets up, wiping the dirt off his face. "Awesome machamp there."
???: "I'm glad you think so." A man dressed in what looks like a gi made of red velvet with gold trimmings walks past Jack from behind.
Malta flutters down to Sam's shoulder again.
???: "I apologize that our match nearly hit bystanders. Now then." He walks up to the brothers.
OlderBro: "Okay, so you can hit that far. Just need to fly higher."
YoungerBro: "I…don't understand. I was giving it all we had…?"
The man kneels in front of the younger brother, bringing him to eye level. "Some fights you can not win. But that doesn't mean you don't try. Well done." He hands over a bit of carved metal.
OlderBro: "Hmph. So we win by losing?"
Sam Spade: "Ah. One of those."
Sam Spade sighs.
???: "No." He stands and glares at the older brother. "And you did not demonstrate spirit. No badge for you." He turns and walks off.
Jack Layfield: "Wicked!"
Jack Layfield: "I like this gym leader already."
Sam Spade: "Interesting."
Sam Spade: "Excuse me, sir?"
Sam Spade hurries after the man.
Sam Spade: "Um. What's your name?"
The man pauses and turns. "My name?"
Sam Spade: "Yes, sir."
???: "Hmph. You look like trainers…" He frowns at Tim, who shrinks away almost instinctively. "You may call me Diablo."
[OOC] Jack Layfield: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HIS NAME IS! /rock
Sam Spade: "I…assume you're the gym leader here?"
Sam Spade: "Thank you. And yes, we're trainers."
Diablo nods. "That I am, for what it matters."
Jack Layfield: "Diablo? He's got a sweet name too? Freakin' rad."
Sam Spade: "But…it's been a long day, so I think our pokemon would be happier if we gave them a chance to rest…"
Diablo waves a hand. "Indeed. I am not taking any more challenges today. Not after that…disappointment."
Sam Spade: "I quite understand, sir. Have a good night."
Sam Spade trots back to the group. Maybe Max is right, and there's something good in the pokemart?
Diablo: "Before you rest, though, there is a man in Pillar Field who looks like your companion." He points at Tim. "You may wish to meet him…or was that the surge I felt earlier?"
Sam Spade: "It was."
Sam Spade: "He left."
Sam Spade: "…Thankfully for everyone."
Diablo nods. "I see you have some sense. Good night, then. Should you wish to challenge me tomorrow, seek out the tournament."
The pokemart seems very well stocked with healing items. Pokeballs, not so much, though basic and great balls are available.
Esme looks for assorted pokemon keepsakes…specifically an UpGrade disc.
Sam Spade browses the accessories.
What electronics are available tend toward the robust. Sapphire and diamond coatings, solid state - no upgrade disc here.
Jack looks for something awesome.
Clerk: "Though…" The clerk leans to Esme and whispers, "Don't tell anyone, but I think there might still be some in the Fort Blaston depots, if you can get past the guards."
Esme: "Oh ho~! Merci, good sir."
The clerk blushes. "Actually I'm a lady, honest." She pats her androgynous, completely flat chest. "They'll come in any day now, I'm sure!"
Sam finds the accessories are not labeled as such, though handheld and wearable items have their own section. Jack spies the "shiny things" section of the store. Both of them simultaneously find…
Esme: "A-ah.. my pardon then, mademoiselle!"
…those are swords. In a pokemart.
Some sized for humans, others for smaller pokemon.
Sam Spade: "Um. Well, Dojoholm, I suppose."
The clerk smiles. "Oh, no worries. Thanks, though." She bites her lip. "Umm…your friends over there…" She points to Jack and Sam. "They have trainers' licenses, right?"
Esme: "We all do! 4 badges and counting."
Clerk: "There's a lot of stuff here we can't sell unless you have some sort of Jaeger license. Good thing they include trainers' licenses."
The clerk relaxes. "Oh! Phew, I…" She blinks. "FOUR?!?"
Max Thorn holds up his (open) badge case as he peruses items next to the checkout.
Esme motions to said badge case.
The clerk examines them. "Huh. S-sorry, it's just…it's been months since I saw someone with more than one."
Clerk: "I was starting to think Team Jaeger had suspended the journeys."
Jack Layfield: "Yeah people don't travel enough these days."
Tim: "Huuuh? The journeys are still going."
Max Thorn returns the case to his pocket. "Mmm. Probably has more to do with Pillar Field."
Clerk: "What about it? Err…I used to help tend the markers there, but I got chased out by…you're never going to believe it, but I swear, I saw a mewtwo in there!"
Sam Spade: "I…"
Sam Spade: "…Hum."
Max Thorn: "I'd believe it."
Sam Spade: "I wonder what they were doing…?"
Clerk: "The mewtwo? Chasing away visitors, from what I could tell."
Clerk: "It's like it was searching for something, trying to break through." She waves a hand. "Pff, psychic stuff, I doubt you'll find an expert on THAT in this town."
Sam Spade: "…Yeah…"
Max Thorn: "Mmm. It's safe now, I think."
The clerk's eyes light up. "It is? You think the mewtwo might be gone?"
Max Thorn: "Less 'think', more 'know', but yes."
Esme nods. "Should be fine now, oui. Oh!" she notices the swords. "Are these made nearby, or do you have them shipped in?"
Clerk: "Those?" She blushes. "Well, err…I make them."
Sam Spade: "Hard to say, really. It went to the Pillar Fields, but it may have gone back to Fort Blaston…though I kind of doubt it?"
Clerk: "Not a lot of demand. Which is weird - you'd think, martial arts, that includes weapons, doesn't it?"
Clerk: "But no, everyone just wants to use their fists."
Max Thorn: "Mmm. I'd think a warrior would be prepared for any battle, however unlikely."
Esme claps her hands together excitedly. "Fantastique! You wouldn't happen to have any spare materials I could purchase, would you?"
Clerk: "That's what I think! Oh. Name's Monica, by the way. Umm….could…could I ask a favor?"
Esme: "A favor?"
Monica: "And sure." She pulls out a drawer and sets it on the counter. Most of the contents are various grades of steel, though Esme sees a few shards within.
Jack Layfield: "Niiiiiiiice."
Monica: "W-well…if you think that mewtwo might be g-gone…could you come with me while I make sure? Please?"
Max Thorn: "Be happy to."
Monica: "Everyone's been chased out of there for weeks so nobody's blaming me for being out of there, but if it IS clear then it's kind of still technically my job to check."
Sam Spade spins to face Monica, then settles her working face on.
Sam Spade: "Quite understandable."
Sam Spade: "We would be glad to help."
Monica: "Thank you. Umm. I'll have to close up shop while I check, so make any purchases before we head out."
Max Thorn hmms. "Any pokéball manufacture supplies, perchance?"
Sam Spade: "If nothing else, the mewtwo won't attack us unless we start anything, so…"
Monica: "You mean apricorns? No, sorry. Rustle Fields'll have them, though, I'm sure."
Jack Layfield: "What could possibly go wrong? Aside from all of the things that could go wrong."
Sam Spade: "Exactly!"
Sam Spade claps Jack on the shoulder.
Esme peruses the drawer, not looking for anything too expensive… "Well that's how things go with us, isn't it?"
There is a display board above Monica, in the nook behind the counter reserved for cashiers. It has various knick knacks - pieces of art, mostly - but toward the top is a large, two-handed sword almost as long as Monica is tall.
Max Thorn: "Well, in that case…" Max selects a particularly beautiful survival knife. "How much would this be?"
[OOC] Esme: Can a girl get some Crafting Scrap on the el cheapo?
[OOC] WC GM: Survival knife is Simple Weapon, yes?
Monica: "That knife? Three thousand."
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yup.
[OOC] WC GM: Sure. Up to 2,000 pokeyen worth of scrap, for 25% off - that is, 1,500 pokeyen.
Max Thorn: "And it comes with a sheath, right?"
[OOC] Esme: aww yiss
[OOC] WC GM: For accessory crafting only.
Monica: "Right here." She hands over a sheath that can be clipped to a belt or pocket.
Max Thorn waves his pokédex over the reader, and it makes a beep as the required amount is transferred.
Monica: "Thank you for your business."
[OOC] Esme: Hmm. Small hangup there: ain't no accessories I can craft with $$, those are all shard-based
Max Thorn: "Thank *you* for excellent craftswomanship." Max sheathes the knife and slips it into a pocket-he'll get a proper belt for it later.
[OOC] WC GM: Hmm. Scrap is all pokeyen-based, though.
[OOC] WC GM: Broaden it to equipment manufacture?
[OOC] WC GM: Which includes weapons & armor as well as accessories.
[OOC] Esme: That'd work! since really I was gonna use it for shields/armor anyway.
[OOC] WC GM: Then there you go.
Esme has assembled a decently-sized pyramid of raw materials at the counter. "I'll take all this, Monica!"
Monica: "A-all of that…?" She smiles nervously. "Well. The customer is always right! Fifteen hundred, please?"
Esme pokedex boop.
Monica mutters, "If it IS clear I wasn't going to have time to make stuff for a while anyway."
Esme: "I do my fair share of work as well, oui?"
Monica: "Thank you!" She puts her cleaned-out drawer away. "Any other purchases?"
Tim and Sands are milling around outside the shop, taking in the town.
Sam Spade: "No, thank you though."
Monica peers at the door, then reaches up. She does not quite reach the massive sword over her head, but it leaps off the mount into her hands.
[OOC] Sam Spade: She has magnets built into her hands? Amazing!
Max Thorn looks toward the door…
Monica: "Then let's head to the field. You go first."
[OOC] WC GM: No, you're pretty sure that was telekinesis.
Sam Spade: "No psychic experts in town, though…"
Sam Spade precedes Monica out the door.
Monica grins weakly. "Of course not. Why would there be any psychics here?"
Jack Layfield: "Whaaaaaaa. This town is way less lame than it looks."
Esme dumps the materials in her bag, following after with a smile. "No reason at all for there to be! Nice technique."
Max Thorn stretches, then heads on out.
Once the party is outside, Monica clicks the electronic "OPEN" sign in the door window to "CLOSED" , locks the door, and appears to set an alarm, all while "balancing" the sword over her shoulder in a way that should not possibly result in the sword not falling off.
Sam Spade: "Indeed!"
Max Thorn says nothing.
Esme: "Neat."
That done, Monica takes sword in hand, hefting what looks like her body weight in steel as if it was styrofoam, and points to Pillar Field. "Onward!"
Sam Spade takes a few confident steps….wait.
Sam Spade: "Pillar Field…at night."
Sam Spade: "How many Ghost Types can we expect?"
Max Thorn checks the clock.
It is still afternoon, but if the party hangs around long enough it will be nightfall before you leave.
Max Thorn: "We should have enough time, if we hustle."
Monica: "A few. Why, are you looking to catch one?"
The trip back to Pillar Field is made without incident. The setting sun is just about to touch the horizon as the party arrives.
Sam Spade keeps an eye on the sky. Not that she could hope to see Moth or the mewtwo unless they wanted to be seen, of course, but.
Pillar Field is, ironically, quiet as the grave this time. No sign of Moth or mewtwo.
Esme: "See? It's all normal and such. For as much as one of these places can be, anyway."
Monica holds her sword like a baseball bat, looking left and right every few steps, face hosting a grimace, obviously on edge.
Monica: "How do you know for sure the mewtwo's gone? Don't tell me YOU captured it."
Sam Spade: "No."
Sam Spade: "We talked to…it."
Max Thorn: "What Sam said."
Sam Spade: "It had learned what it wanted to learn, and left."
Esme: "Mmhm."
Monica: "You, WHAT?" She turns around to face Sam abruptly. Fortunately, her sword is mostly pointed up and thus only slices the air in front of Sam.
Sam Spade takes a frantic step back.
That said, Sam can see her reflection in the sword. This is one well-maintained piece of metal.
Jack Layfield: "Sword sword sword."
Sam Spade: "Watch where you're pointing that thing!"
Jack Layfield: "Careful, careful, careful…."
Sam Spade takes a shaky breath, and decides to drop the bombshell.
Esme nod nods. "That's why I went with gloves. Amongst other reasons."
Monica: "Huh? Oh, right, sorry." She grins sheepishly and holds it over her back.
Sam Spade: "Were you not enthused by your encounter with the Boss of Team Jaeger?"
Monica blinks. "With wh-…that mewtwo is the boss? I heard their boss was a person."
Max Thorn: "He was."
Max Thorn: "But the details are, um…not for public consumption, shall we say?"
Monica: "You mean, he's a person who turned himself into a mewtwo?"
Sam Spade: "More complicated than that."
Monica: "Oh, oh, I got it! You mean he's a WEREmewtwo. Person by day, mewtwo by night?"
Sam Spade: "Anyway, he doesn't seem to be here - or at least he doesn't seem to be interfering with us."
Sam Spade: "…"
Esme: "Haha!"
Sam Spade hesitates, then considers.
Max Thorn facepalms.
Sam Spade: "…Differently complicated than that."
Esme: "It's complicated though, trust us!"
Jack Layfield: "Yeah I don't get it either."
Jack Layfield: "It's so totally wack."
Max Thorn: "Master was shot with a magic bullet, which sucked the master's soul into the mewtwo. The mewtwo managed to keep his human-self 'alive'."
Max Thorn: "…Or, that's what I believe the story to be."
Monica: "Souls don't move like that. Err…that's…what I would say if I knew anything about it."
Esme: "Well given they were psychic shells it's debatable if it was soul or consciousness, give-yeah see!"
Max Thorn holds up a hand. "I'd rather not debate it, I'm just conjecturing from my observations."
Sam Spade: "Quite."
Sam Spade: "Of course, we'd need to talk to a psychic expert from the MewTwo Wars to know more."
Monica nods. "Yeah. Like the person who developed those Trainer Hijack r-"
Sam Spade: "And I wouldn't recommend doing that until we're certain that we won't be encountering any strong telepaths from Team Jaeger in the near future."
Sam Spade: "So, never."
Monica claps a hand to her mouth.
Sam Spade: "Exactly."
Sam Spade: "…Actually."
Max Thorn eyes Monica.
Sam Spade: "Given that the 'boss' seemed satisfied in what it had learned, I'd say there's a strong possibility that it already knows what it wants to know about the Trainer Hijack rounds, given that it came here to learn about them."
Sam Spade: "So it's probably safe for us to learn, so we can draw the relevant conclusions."
Sam Spade casts a worried glance at Esme, then at Max.
Sam Spade: "Probably."
Monica unseals her mouth. "Idon'tknowIswearIdidn'tbuildthemIthoughtmaybethatmewtwowasthesameonebut…"
Max Thorn: "If he didn't want us to know, he wouldn't have given us the flashback."
Sam Spade: "Well, yeah. Obviously."
Jack Layfield: "Spooooky."
Sam Spade: "My one worry is that he might want us to do the digging for him."
Max Thorn: "So I would *presume* that that's tacit permission for us to learn about the mechanics…"
Sam Spade: "…But then, I didn't feel him rummaging around in my brain, and I think I should have."
Esme: "Well it doesn't help that we're a curious bunch."
Max Thorn: "Nor I."
Max Thorn: "I suspect he wants us to draw our own conclusions, actually."
Sam Spade: "Agreed."
Max Thorn: "And you can't do that if you're forced to think only one way."
Monica looks around. "Err…your, umm, escort…" She points to the edge of the field in the distance, where Tim and Sands lounge around. "Convenient timing for him not to be here."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, he's…really fond of convenient timing."
Monica: "Really?"
Max Thorn: "He does that. I swear he knows when we're about to talk about things we're not officially supposed to know, as far as the rest of the organization goes."
Sam Spade: "Yeah."
Esme nod nods.
Sam Spade: "…I wouldn't be too surprised, really."
Monica: "Well. Then can I please please PLEASE beg you to rescue my mom?!?"
Sam Spade: "I mean, he's a clone of Moth, and Moth survived…what he survived…"
Sam Spade blinks.
Esme: "Was strange at first, but not complaining, these day-oooooh?"
Sam Spade gets a strange gleam in her eye.
Sam Spade: "Rescue?"
Monica: "And the others at Sandbar Harbor. She sent me to live with my dad when they came."
Monica: "I mean…they're probably safe-ish…and it IS all the way on the other side of Amoda…but, y'know, if you go there, could you please?"
Esme checks her map.
Sam Spade blinks
Sam Spade: "Ah."
Sam Spade sighs.
Monica: "I haven't seen her in two years."
Sam Spade: "Well, Sandbar was on our Route map, so it wouldn't be a problem to go there…but if you want us to go there early, then we need to justify it to our 'Escort.'"
Esme: "Ahh…"
Max Thorn taps a note into his 'dex… "We'll do what we can. I'm not going to make any promises I can't keep, though."
Esme frowns, then perks. "We absolutely will!"
Sam Spade: "And…we've got a side trip that's…strongly encouraged by at least one Legendary if not more."
Monica shakes her head. "If you go there…when you go there…thank you!"
Sam Spade: "That's good, then! We'll take care of your family."
Sam Spade gives Monica a quick, friendly hug.
Jack Layfield: "Righteous!"
Monica returns the hug. "Thank you. Thank you. Now I feel bad for tricking you."
Sam Spade: "And you should."
Monica: "Nothing for it now. You can't reach the field's edge in time."
The sun is, by now, halfway over the horizon.
Jack Layfield: "Wait we got tricked?"
Sam Spade: "Malta! Eyes up!"
Malta shakes herself awake, then braces for possible combat.
Monica: "That mewtwo was keeping all the ghosts…suppressed, in short. And around here, in this town?" Monica gets out of the hug and draws her sword. "EVERYONE is ready for a fight. 'Restless' doesn't begin to describe how they must feel."
Purple fumes begin to leak from the ground.
Monica: "So I'm going to need some help."
Monica: "Just tonight, though."
Esme lets out Lucrece. "That can be arranged."
Jack Layfield: "Sandy, get out here! Bad mojo is going down." Jack throws Sandile's pokeball.
Sam Spade stares levelly at Monica.
Sam Spade: "Gotcha."
Max Thorn: "All right, then. C'mon, Antheia, Nootaikok! Let's do this!"
[OOC] WC GM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YlTUDnsWMo
The ghost pokemon are not bothering to hide. They simply rise from the ground in every direction.
Max Thorn: "Antheia, how 'bout some light, please?" Three eerie blue flames spring into being, floating above Max's head in a circle.
Monica: "I'll get the strong ones. You clean up the rest!" She charges off to the other side of the field.
Jack Layfield: "Wait, won't the sword just go through the ghosts?"
[OOC] WC GM: Thanks to her warning and their slow rise, you effectively get a surprise round. No hostiles on the field yet, though. Actions?
Esme pats the porygon on the head. "Now it's going to be your first battle, Luc… but you can manage!"
Max Thorn: "I'm sure her sword's got some tricks."
Monica: "Steel-type, with psychic-type backing it up!"
Max Thorn: "Honedge, yeah?"
Monica: "Nope. Me!"
Sam Spade: "…She's a steel-type?"
Max Thorn: "Huh. Well, haul butt, then."
Max Thorn: "Meanwhile…Antheia, let's get some groove on." ((Agility Orders))
[OOC] WC GM: Basically, any CS boosters in the surprise round, or other things that would last to round 1?
Sam Spade: "Malta, pick your targets. Eyes front." ((Focused Orders.))
[OOC] WC GM: Also: she meant her sword counts as steel-type.
Sam Spade: "And we'll start with…that one."
[OOC] Esme: Dammit I forgot to make X-Sp.Atks
Sam Spade points at where one ghost type appears to be forming up.
Esme finishes giving pointers to Lucrece, making sure it's extra Focused! ((Focused Orders))
[OOC] Esme: Also what ghost types? I got Trace suckas
[OOC] WC GM: Gastly swarms
[OOC] Sam Spade: Attempting to Tag one of the oncoming foes.
[OOC] WC GM: Foes aren't on the field until round 1.
[OOC] Esme: Coo
[OOC] Max Thorn: That's all the setup I can do.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: quick family stuff I'll be back in a bit
[OOC] Sam Spade: Honestly, given that the orders drop, is there any setup anyone here can do?
[OOC] Sam Spade: …Actually…
Sam Spade: "Malta! Get ready to be evasive! Agility!"
[OOC] Max Thorn: I did Fairy Lights already.
Malta whips around Sam's head, seeming to grow faster.
[OOC] WC GM: Round 1! Sandy would go first, but since MAS is BRBing, Sam & Malta still go before the ghosts. 3 gastly swarms appear!
Sam Spade: "Malta! Swarm two, strafe them! Take them off guard!" ((Tagging them. Then issuing Focused Orders if I can do two Swift actions in one round.))
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+1: 17 (17) (Peck)
[OOC] WC GM: 1 Swift Action per round, sorry.
[OOC] WC GM: Hits!
[OOC] Esme: Orders are a Standard yo
[OOC] Sam Spade: Oh. Well played.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Then +2, 18.
Sam Spade rolled up 2d6+8+6: 21 (21)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yaaay, a really nice damage roll…on one target in a Swarm.
[OOC] Sam Spade: But Malta's only got one area attack, and it's Growl.
[OOC] Max Thorn: I've got a line attack.
[OOC] Esme: I do too, though I'm sitting over in the "doubly resisted" corner
[OOC] Sam Spade: Singly resisted on a Swarm, yeh?
[OOC] WC GM: MAS isn't back yet…Sandy can act when he is.
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah. So, 7 damage total.
The gastlies take notice, and all converge on Malta…giving mean looks.
[OOC] Esme: ?? Don't see anything that makes Swarms stop caring about type [dis]advantage
Malta is unable to leave the battle, and is Slowed!
[OOC] WC GM: Single target attacks vs. swarms are one step more resisted.
[OOC] Esme: oh that
[OOC] WC GM: Max/Antheia!
[OOC] Sam Spade: And area attacks on swarms are one step less resisted. Well, more super-effective, which…may not be the same?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Um.
[OOC] Esme: It's the same, actually!
Max Thorn: "All right. Fairy Wind!"
[OOC] Max Thorn: …x4 because Fairy Lights :V
Max Thorn rolled up 4#1d20 4#2d8+21: 8 5 17 6 (36), 24 30 30 29 (113)
[OOC] WC GM: All hit
[OOC] Max Thorn: Poison resists, so that's double-resist unfortunately.
One of the swarms has been battered quite a bit.
[OOC] WC GM: Esme! But not Lucrece yet.
Esme powers up her gauntlet, and attempts to put two of the swarms in her path if she can… then fires a crackling beam of energy from her palm! [Resonance Beam]
Esme rolled up 1d20: 11 (11)
[OOC] WC GM: Hit!
Esme rolled up 2d6+25: 32 (32)
[OOC] Esme: only one step resisted, Lowers SpDef by 1 on an 18+…increased by 1 effect range for each target
[OOC] Esme: You said there's like 20 each, right? :p
[OOC] WC GM: Yep. :D
[OOC] Esme: -1 SpDef CS!
The gastlies swivel. So many targets! They home in on Esme…
WC GM rolled up 3#1d20: 10 1 13 (24)
Licking swarm! But some of them get in each others' way.
WC GM rolled up 2#1d8+16: 22 19 (41)
[OOC] WC GM: 19 damage after Defense
[OOC] WC GM: Now Lucrece!
Esme endures the…ew. "Guh good thing I'm replacing these clothes…Luc! Use that thing you learned!"
The porygon chirps happily, and obliges with a Psybeam!
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 18 (18) (AC 2)
[OOC] WC GM: Hits
Esme rolled up 2d6+29: 36 (36) (Neutral)
One of the swarms sheds about half its members.
The other two whirl and veer…and launch Curses at Antheia and Lucrece!
[OOC] WC GM: Auto-hit; lose 20% of max HP per action for rest of combat.
However, the curses seem to have drained the other two swarms down to about the same level too…
[OOC] WC GM: Round 2!
[OOC] WC GM: Sam/Malta!
Sam Spade: "Malta, stay on that same swarm! Eyes high, pick your target, but don't strike yet! Agility!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Focused Orders.
The most damaged swarm sends a curse Malta's way - and now seems to have only 5 members left…
Malta moves in between Sam and the ghastly's dodging back-and-forth.
The other two attempt to lick Malta!
WC GM rolled up 2#1d20: 5 5 (10)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Currently…eh, three speed evasion.
And barely hit…
WC GM rolled up 2#1d8+16: 17 23 (40)
[OOC] WC GM: 18 damage after Defense
[OOC] WC GM: Max/Antheia!
Max Thorn: "Antheia, some more Fairy Lights, please!" ((Fairy Lights, now to wait for Antheia to get attacked again so she can spam them at the foe…))
[OOC] WC GM: Esme!
Esme flings a pester ball into the center of the swarms!
Esme rolled up 1d20: 4 (4) (AC 6)
[OOC] Esme: honk honk
The pester ball sails clean through the swarms and detonates behind them, to no effect.
The two larger swarms try to lick Antheia and Max!
WC GM rolled up 2#1d20: 7 14 (21)
WC GM rolled up 2#1d8+16: 23 23 (46)
[OOC] WC GM: 13 damage to Max, 16 damage to Antheia
[OOC] WC GM: You mentioned a counter?
Antheia flings the Fairy Lights at the swarm, transmuting them into Fairy Winds in the process!
Max Thorn rolled up 3#1d20 3#2d8+21: 17 17 15 (49), 27 23 28 (78)
[OOC] Max Thorn: Which is how Fairy Lights is actually supposed to work anyway, fwiw.
The wind pelts the gastlies left and right! Now they look mad…
[OOC] WC GM: Lucrece!
Lucrece lets loose another psybeam at the weakened swarm!
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 4 (4) (AC 2)
[OOC] WC GM: Hit, barely
Esme rolled up 2d6+29: 36 (36) (Neutral)
The weakest swarm is nowhere to be seen when the psybeam fades! One down, two to go…
[OOC] WC GM: Round 3! Sam/Malta!
[OOC] Sam Spade: Is the weakest one the one Malta's been targeting?
[OOC] WC GM: No, the one Malta's been targeting just went kapoof.
[OOC] WC GM: Of the two remaining, one's been beaten up a bit more than the other.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Gotcha. Ah, well.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Ah, Momentum doesn't reset that way. Works for me.
Sam Spade: "Malta! Left swarm! Go, but stay frosty!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Focused training and a tag.
Malta strafes the swarm with Peck!
[OOC] WC GM: The more-beaten-up one?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sure.
[OOC] WC GM: Roll it
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+4 2d6+14: 7 (7), 20 (20) (AC 2 with 4 momentum and focused training x 2.)
Malta's beak seems to come away with the discorporating essence of about half the swarm.
Said swarms seem to decide fair is fair, and converge on Sam for a licking!
WC GM rolled up 2#1d20: 5 16 (21)
Sam Spade: "What!"
Esme: "It's the worst!"
WC GM rolled up 2#1d8+16: 17 17 (34)
[OOC] WC GM: 16 damage after Defense
Sam Spade: "…They slimed me!"
[OOC] WC GM: Max/Antheia!
Max Thorn: "Keep it up, Antheia!" ((Fairy Lights again.))
[OOC] WC GM: Esme!
Esme perks at the sound of a 'beep'. "Oh good! Recalibrated." She shifts, lining up with the remaining two swarms…and lets loose another beam! [Resonance Beam]
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 14 (14) (AC 3, AP For Acc)
[OOC] WC GM: hits
Esme rolled up 2d6+25: 27 (27)
[OOC] Esme: Double->Single resist, -1 SpDef CS!
The swarms are rocked! The larger swarm spins and spins…and gives Antheia a Mean Look!
[OOC] Max Thorn: Close enough to an attack!
[OOC] WC GM: Is that enough to trigger counter?
Max Thorn rolled up 3#1d20 3#2d8+21: 1 7 5 (13), 28 29 33 (90)
[OOC] WC GM: It's a move that was used against Antheia, yes. Just, a status move: Trapped and Slowed.
The other swarm is down to about 5 members too, now.
[OOC] WC GM: Lucrece!
Lucrece continues its role as the resident railgun. Psybeam!
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 20 (20) (AC 2)
Esme rolled up 2d6+29: 35 (35) (Confusion!)
Perhaps that swarm would have been confused, had it survived…
[OOC] WC GM: Round 4! Sam/Malta! One target left.
Sam Spade: "Malta! Hit that one, hit it smart!"
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+5 2d6+14: 22 (22), 24 (24) (AC 2 with 6 momentum and focused training x 2.)
Malta pecks ferociously.
The swarm is hit - but rather than dodging, they open their mouths, taking the hit as they try to lick back!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 3 (3)
Emphasis on "try" . Malta dodges the tongues!
[OOC] WC GM: Max/Antheia!
[OOC] WC GM: …while we're waiting, Esme/Lucrece! They no longer have the initiative tick between Esme & Lucrece.
Max Thorn: "Aaaand I think one more set of Fairy Lights'll do it, Antheia."
Esme swings an empowered fist at the last remaining swarm, ducking out of the way of another Psybeam.
Esme rolled up 1d20: 6 (6) (Struggle AC 3)
[OOC] WC GM: Hits
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 14 (14) (Psybeam AC 2 )
[OOC] WC GM: Very hits
Esme rolled up 2d8+25: 27 (27) (Double Resist :()
Esme rolled up 2d6+29: 39 (39) (Neutral)
The swarms have been laid to rest.
Barely has the battle ended when there is a scream from the far side of the field!
Max Thorn: "…And off we go." Max sprints thataway!
Esme hoofs it!
Monica has been impaled on one of the wooden pillars by her own sword. She is struggling to pull it out but can not get a good grip. It would seem her telekinesis is not working, possibly due to the amount of pain she seems to be in.
Sam Spade: "Monica!"
Sam Spade runs over to help.
Sam Spade: "Shit! Max? Esme? What do we do?"
Max Thorn: "Call for an ambulance, and meanwhile do what dispatch tells us."
[OOC] WC GM: Athletics, or justify another skill, to pull the sword out if you want. Cooperative effort entirely justifiable given the sword's size.
Esme: "I'm no medical…well anything…so yeah."
Sam Spade: "Okay! Okay…"
Sam Spade pulls out her Pokedex and initiates the emergency services call.
[OOC] Sam Spade: I think we're mostly operating under the assumption that pulling the sword out of her would be a very bad idea.
EmergencyServices: "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed has been disconnected."
[OOC] Sam Spade: This being Pokemon…
Max Thorn , meanwhile, examines Monica thoroughly. Where's the sword gone in?
The sword is embedded in her lower torso, likely having severed her spleen and a kidney.
Sam Spade: "Monica, we're here. We're here."
Monica speaks through grit teeth, breathing deeply. "Get…me to the c'nt'r…this one…does people…"
Sam Spade: "…Okay…"
Max Thorn: "Right. This is probably going to hurt…Esmé, can you try and get the sword out enough to unpin her from the pillar?"
Esme: "…I can try."
Esme gives her a look over before trying to get her off…without making more holes. More holes bad.
Esme rolled up 3d6+1: 9 (9) (Athletics)
Sam Spade puts her boot against the wooden pillar, setting herself against the sword.
Sam Spade rolled up 1d6: 1 (1) (Athletics to assist.)
Sam slips in the mud.
Not making more holes is easy. Moving the sword, hard. It is quite heavy. But Esme manages to budge it, slowly, slowly…there, it is out from the pillar.
Max Thorn: "Malta…get to the Pokémon Center and get someone to be ready or on their way to us, please."
Malta launches herself from the pillar - landing on Sam seemed like a muddy answer - and off into the night.
Max Thorn gets into position to catch Monica as the sword gets unstuck. "Sam, other side, please?"
The tip of the sword, with Monica on it, quickly collapses to the ground.
Sam Spade scrambles into place.
Max Thorn quickly gets a potion out with a free hand, and applies one to Monica's back, then helps her up. "Okay, steady as we go."
The potion seals the wound, stopping further bleeding, but Monica is in bad shape.
Esme looks around. The remains the mystery of how she ended up like that.
As the party tries to leave the fields, more gastlies rise from the ground - only to be slashed by Sands as they emerge.
Tim is on top of one of the pillars. "GO TO THE CENTER! I'VE GOT YOUR BACK!"
Max Thorn: "Thanks, Tim!"
Sam Spade: "Okay!"
Sam Spade helps Max left Monica to her feet, one hand on the sword to try to…stabilize it.
Esme: "Here…"
[OOC] WC GM: Is Esme sticking around or hoofing it?
Esme helps heft Monica up.
Pulling the sword out was one thing, but dragging it…that sword is so heavy it is almost rooted in the ground.
[OOC] Sam Spade: So we took it out of Monica after all?
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah.
[OOC] WC GM: And then Max sealed the wound.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Okay…
[OOC] WC GM: So Monica's not leaking.
Max Thorn: "Leave the sword, we can come back for it when she's well."
[OOC] Sam Spade: "They said the bleeding was internal. That means my blood is on the inside, where it's supposed to be!"
Sam Spade: "Quite."
Esme eyes the sword. "Yeah, carrying it's not going to be a thing. I might be able to shortcut it back with us, if it's not bonded to her though…"
[OOC] WC GM: There is at least one entity still in town who can punch out all of a person's blood. You may or may not meet that entity.
[OOC] Esme: hot
[OOC] Max Thorn: whether they actually will or not, however..
[OOC] WC GM: Alright, taking her back to the center?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yup.
Esme grips the hilt of the sword and closes her eyes. Feeling any strong bondy-ness?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yup.
[OOC] Esme: Yeah I was gonna be a dick and see if I could teleport her sword along the way
Esme feels no such bond. It is just a heavy metal.
[OOC] WC GM: If you want, sure. It'll be plot for next time.
[OOC] WC GM: Though, how are you teleporting it?
[OOC] Esme: Create Soul Bond -> Shift action call it from 10 meters to just drag it along with us
Esme manages to make a bond - weak, temporary, makeshift, and it works mainly because it is bonded to both herself and Monica. It works enough to drag the sword along, but she can feel it fade as they enter the center.
The trip back, while rushed, is otherwise, as uneventful as the trip forth. No one seems to be on the streets this time, so the first new person they see is Nurse Joy, standing at the counter.
Nurse Joy: "Hello. Will this be pokemon treatment, human treatment, or both?"
Esme: "Yes."
Sam Spade: "Both?"
Nurse Joy's eyes seem a bit glazed over.
Malta fluffs her feathers from the counter.
Nurse Joy: "I see. Human first. Let me see your injured companion for a moment."
Max Thorn helps Monica on over.
Sam Spade: "Yes, quite."
Max Thorn: "Had a sword through her; I was able to stop the bleeding, though."
Sam Spade: "None of our pokemon are in as bad a shape as her…"
Nurse Joy twitches, her serene mask breaking. "Monica…?" She grabs Monica and runs for the back. "CHANSEY TAKE OVER!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: No Injures, yes?
[OOC] WC GM: Any the party has will be cured by morning.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Antheia took 40% of max in damage, if I interpreted Curse properly, but otherwise…
A chansey waddles up to the briefly-abandoned front desk and spreads her arms. "Chansey?"
Malta cheeps imperiously.
The chansey gestures to a tall wall-mounted device behind her. This seems to be a different style of healing device, made for large pokemon but able to treat small ones too.
The chansey pulls out a sign with a pokeball symbol on it, then points with the sign to the device.
Max Thorn puts Antheia in.
The device shimmers familiar colors, and in a few minutes, Antheia emerges good as new.
Malta pecks the desk imperiously and glares at Lucrece.
Max Thorn tucks Antheia behind his ear once more.
Esme shuffles Lucrece along to the healing station.
As Lucrece, then Malta, are healed Nurse Joy returns from the back, a bit of Monica's blood on her uniform, trembling with rage and breathing deeply. "How. Did. She. Get. Hurt?!?"
Sam Spade: "We don't know. Something impaled her on her sword."
Sam Spade: "…It wasn't the Jaggie Boss, was it? The ghastlies that bothered us would have stayed in hiding…"
Nurse Joy seems to lighten up at that…oh, wait, no, it was that chansey that just injected her, having grabbed a syringe from under the counter. Nurse Joy's eyes roll up and she collapses into the chansey's arms.
Esme blinks. "Hum."
The chansey sets Nurse Joy against the front counter for a moment, then points down, rotates her arms like a clock, then pulls out a sign with a sun that she slowly holds up high.
The chansey seems to be waiting for the party's response.
Max Thorn: "We went to the Pillar Field shortly before sunset with her. And yes, we'll stay the night, if that's okay."
Sam Spade: "Yeah.."
Sam Spade: "I think she means come back tomorrow."
Sam Spade: "Where should we go, Nurse Chansey?"
Max Thorn: "We can do that do, certainly."
Chansey: "Seeey!" She smiles, grabs a keycard from under the desk, tosses it to Max, points to a corridor on the left, then drags Nurse Joy toward the back.
Sam Spade covers a yawn that is only partially faked.
Sam Spade: "Okay, then."
Max Thorn catches the card, and leads the way.
Sam Spade: "Good night!~~"
Sam Spade follows Max, Malta still refusing to perch on her muddy shoulder.
The trainers' suites seem awfully unpopulated. The party would appear to be the only trainers on a journey staying here tonight.
[OOC] WC GM: Should probably logend soon. Any last lines?
[OOC] Max Thorn: None that I can think of.
[OOC] Esme: I got nothin'
[OOC] WC GM: +25 XP per trainer, distributed as you wish to your pokemon
[OOC] WC GM: And make sure you've accounted for daily training XP. If you haven't kept track, add at least 4 days' worth, as I think that's how far back it was last brought up. This is in addition to the daily training XP you'll get in the morning: the center isn't exactly going to be fully active at the crack of dawn.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License