Session 29

The trip to Rustle Fields takes just past three days.
[OOC] WC GM: 3 * daily training XP - and Esme, 3 * daily dowsing checks if you please
[OOC] WC GM: Day 1's are orange, day 2's & 3's are green
[OOC] Esme: hoo boy
It is mostly uneventful. Rese is quiet and determined, Tim seems to keep a wary eye on her more than the road, and while you find no tracks it seems likely Team Stormcloud simply took Route 5 ahead of you.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Antheia Lv13 -> Lv14, Nook Lv12 -> 13, jsyk
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 2 2 2 3 3 4 5 3 6 (30) ((Day 1 1/2))
Esme rolled up 1d6: 2 (2)
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 4 1 1 2 6 1 5 4 1 (25) ((Day 1 2/2))
Esme rolled up 1d6: 3 (3)
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 2 5 2 5 4 2 1 6 4 (31) ((Day 2 1/2))
Esme rolled up 1d6: 2 (2)
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 6 5 2 1 1 2 1 6 3 (27) ((Day 2 2/2))
Esme rolled up 2#1d6: 2 5 (7)
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 2 1 6 4 1 1 5 2 2 (24) ((Day 3 1/2))
Esme rolled up 1d6: 3 (3)
Esme rolled up 9#1d6: 5 3 5 2 2 6 6 2 1 (32) ((Day 3 2/2))
Esme rolled up 2#1d6: 1 3 (4)
[OOC] Esme: OKAY DONE
Finally, mid-afternoon you come to a sign, "Welcome to Rustle Fields" . Past the sign the forest to either side of Route 5 abruptly ends…but ahead you only see tall grass.
Max Thorn: "How fitting."
Tim is smiling as if laughing internally at a joke only he knows.
Then again, Sands seems to be smiling too.
Sam Spade: "Malta, keep an eye out for anything…"
Sam Spade: "…anything-ish."
Malta: "Fletch!"
[OOC] Esme: 7 Orange, 16 Green
Malta launches herself into the air.
[OOC] WC GM: Perception or Focus checks, all.
Esme rolled up 3d6+1: 12 (12) (Focus Ay)
Max Thorn: ..roll 3d6
Sam Spade rolled up 5d6: 20 (20) (Focus)
Max Thorn rolled up 3d6: 10 (10) (Perception)
Anna Tommize rolled up 3d6: 16 (16) (perception)
[OOC] Sam Spade: And under the circumstances…
Rese: "…you know you're not fooling anyone." She seems to be speaking to the grass.
Sam Spade rolled up 3d6+2: 10 (10) (Focus for Malta)
Anna Tommize tilts her head.
Anna Tommize: "Huh?"
Jack Layfield rolled up 4d6: 14 (14) (focus)
Sam Spade: "She's not wrong, you know."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Well, they might be fooling Max.
Jack Layfield: "WHAT, HOW DO YOU KNOW I'M NOT A REAL BLONDE?"
[OOC] WC GM: Fooling Max, Esme, and Jack. Anna and Sam see through it.
Sam Spade: "Hiding behind a single blade of grass is really impressive, though…"
Anna Tommize: "H-hello grass person…"
Esme: "There is a grass person?"
Anna Tommize scratches her head and looks down.
Jack Layfield: "Erm, eh, right, someone's hiding in the grass."
Anna Tommize: "Y-yeh…"
Anna Tommize points at the blade of grass in question.
Jack Layfield: "This hair color is perfectly natural."
The grass seems to sigh…then, in a flash of light, one blade of grass seems to transform into a green-clad ninja.
Anna Tommize: "Sorry…"
Sam Spade: "Also, Jack, she's been in your bedroll the past three nights. If anyone could see where the dye has grown out…"
Anna Tommize: "M-mr. grass."
Sam Spade seems a little frustrated, but that could be your imagination. No, it's definitely your imagination.
The ninja is a bit on the short side, a bit over 4 feet, but of obvious serious demeanor.
Anna Tommize opens her mouth as if to say something, but then bites her tongue and looks down.
Sam Spade: "Um. On another note, how did you do that? You were positioned badly, but the move was another matter entirely!"
Max Thorn: "That…too, is fitting."
The ninja speaks in a squeaky voice. "You have returned, and brought friends-"
The ninja locks eyes with Tim, who returns the favor.
Ninja: "You! You are not welcome here!"
Tim: "Yeah? Do something about it."
A breeze whistles past, rustling the grass.
Sands looks to the party with mildly pleading eyes.
Esme: "So tiny! No wonder they could fit."
Sam Spade: "Besides, his perspective is invaluable."
Anna Tommize looks between the Ninja and Tim, fretting.
Jack Layfield: "Oh man, do you think the pipsqueaks will fight? 500 on Tim."
Anna Tommize: "P-please don't fight…"
Sam Spade: "You heard the dame! No fighting, please."
Meeps kicks up a bit of dust at Anna, inducing coughing.
Anna Tommize hacks in response. "Y-you too…"
Tim folds his arms. "Hmph. Well, you heard them. You going to 'kidnap' them?"
The ninja stays still and silent.
Jack Layfield: "Oh the old silent treatment huh? I know how to deal with that broski."
Max Thorn: "Depends. Feathergun, y'think?"
Sands looks at Jack, hopeful.
Jack Layfield: "Feathergun? I was just going to annoy him."
Tim: "Trust me, he's annoyed. I'm here. That's all it takes."
The ninja nods.
Jack Layfield: "Oooooooooooooh 99 bottles of potion on the wall, 99 bottles of potion! Take one down, spray it on a pokemon, 98 bottles of potio- aw are you sure?"
Sam Spade: "Don't worry, Jack, we've got the guy annoyed, no need to annoy the rest of us, too…"
Jack Layfield: "Bummer."
Tim rolls his eyes. "Tch. Oh, woe is me, I am overpowered by such horrible singing the ninja must be ventriloquizing Jack. I guess these trainers are all kidnapped." Eye contact broken, he walks off into the grass, followed by Sands. "Just get them back to the pokemon center by morning, or there *will* be a hunt."
The ninja seems to sweatdrop.
Esme: "So we're kidnapped by ninjas now?"
Anna Tommize: "…"
Rese: "By ninja. One of the best, though. Everyone, meet Di."
Jack Layfield: "We outnumber the ninja. By transitive property, we're kidnapping the ninja."
Max Thorn: "No, more noting for the ninja's benefit that we came here under our own power."
Anna Tommize: "Hi…"
Anna Tommize nervously plays with the ends of her hair.
Max Thorn bows. "Maximilien Thorn."
Anna Tommize: "I-I'm Anna…"
Di bows. "Di. Thank you for returning her."
Sam Spade: "Yes, that's totally what we did and why we're here."
Rese: "Hmph. You know why I'm back."
Sam Spade: "So, where are you kidnapping us to?"
Di: "Follow me." Di walks into the grass - which is soon over Di's head, but fortunately there is rustling and displaced grass to follow.
Max Thorn follows.
Sam Spade does, as well.
Before long, the grass is even taller, swallowing up the party, leaving sound as the only means of navigation.
Jack Layfield: "This is very confusing."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, I can see why they call it Rustle Fields."
Sam Spade: "Also, Di, please say something so we're sure that we're following you."
Rese speaks from somewhere off to the right, "Yeah, but you can only find your way on foot. Any vehicles drown out the noise. They've coated the grass to mess with locator beacons and satellite navigation."
Esme brushes grass out of her face. "Yeah, noticed that. Neat! Still annoying. Too much rustle."
Di: "You get used to it."
Rese: "I never did."
Di: "You become one with it…one way or another."
Anna Tommize shivers.
Rese: "I still say that sounds like you mean the grass might eat us."
Anna Tommize: "T-that's creepy…"
Di: "More likely pokemon hidden in the grass."
Sam Spade frowns, then blanches.
Max Thorn: "Eh. All it'd take is a brushfire."
Sam Spade: "Ha. Ha. Certainly…that's not all that likely, is it Malta?"
Malta screeches from above.
After a short while, the party steps into a clearing in a gentle depression. Very long blades - no, multiple blades tied together - are woven into a canopy concealing a small village, every building apparently liftable or dismantlable.
Di: "This grass can fight fire."
Jack Layfield: "Why? Is it part water type?"
Di: "It has allies."
Di: "Natural fires spread only shortly. Arsonists are consumed."
Esme: "I'm guessing they have some sort of response system set up and Di is trying to sound cool about it."
Esme: "Would make sense, given where they live. Also the ninja thing."
Max Thorn: "And ice?"
This is a ninja village right out of the storybooks - except the ninjas dress in green, not black. Over there is an obstacle course. In another direction, a meditation session - including a certain lucario; the session's leader spies Rese and recalls the lucario to her pokeball before Rese sees them.
Max Thorn: "Actually, no, if I were serious about assaulting the place I'd have a broad mix."
Di chuckles, or so the party suspects from Di squeaking like a balloon laughing. "And they have."
Jack Layfield: "So, why are you guys working with a bunch of idiots with goofy clouds on their uniforms?"
Jack Layfield: "You seem, well, competent."
[OOC] Max Thorn: …now I have a mental image of a bunch of kids in 'uniforms' that basically look like PJs with Mario clouds on 'em.
Di: "Team Stormcloud? They agreed to help, and they fulfilled their promise."
Di: "It was our fee for information."
Jack Layfield: "What information…"
Max Thorn: "They sought information from you, hmm?"
Jack Layfield: "Or would I have to pay a 'fee' to find out what you told cloudy, puffy, and stupid?"
[OOC] Anna Tommize: Going soon. Fiancee's nervous about traffic, been bad last few days.
[OOC] Anna Tommize: Prolly back around 4:00 to 4:20
[OOC] WC GM: K
Anna Tommize: "…Isn't that…"
Anna Tommize: "U-umm…Mr. Di, c-could we ah…speak? Privately?"
Di: "You and I? Or your friends too?"
Sam Spade: "Are you abandoning us, Anna?"
Sam Spade looks lonely and abandoned, aside from the obviously-repressed smile
Anna Tommize: "U-uhhh…I-I shouldn't be long."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Anna Tommize: "J-just me…if that's OK?"
Anna Tommize cocks her head slightly.
Di: "Hmm…you seem familiar. Did someone send you?"
Anna Tommize freezes up.
Anna Tommize: "I-it might be uh…"
Anna Tommize: "F-family resemblance…?"
Anna Tommize starts fiddling with her clothing nervously.
Di peers. "…the executioner of Ten. You bear his blood…or so it seems."
Anna Tommize: "M-my last name…"
Anna Tommize: "Is uh…"
Anna Tommize: "T-tommize…?"
Anna Tommize carefully studies Di's face for a reaction.
Di seems more intense suddenly. "I would verify your identity. If you are she, there is much you deserve to know. Come." Di starts walking toward one of the huts.
Anna Tommize: "S-sure…"
Anna Tommize waves back at the group.
Anna Tommize: "Sorry guys…"
Anna Tommize: "I'll be back."
Anna Tommize follows Di into the hut.
Di calls back, "The rest of you - you are trainers. There are nests to the north if you seek captures."
Sam Spade: "I suppose?"
Sam Spade: "Um."
Sam Spade: "Does anyone know how we'll make our way back afterwards, or is she trying to get rid of us?"
Jack Layfield: "Figures. I bet if I told them I was a Layfield, I'd just get a smack upside the head for my parents or grandparents ruining something sacred by running it over with a car."
Sam Spade: "It's not impossible, but now that we know what we saw…"
Rese has split off from the party and is asking around.
Esme rubs her chin. "I don't think either side of my family has any quarrels with ninja… Oh! Did she say nests?"
[OOC] WC GM: Is anyone consulting their pokedex to see which way north is?
[OOC] WC GM: Or just using the sun's position to calculate north?
Esme pops open her pokedex. There was something she was looking for…
[OOC] Sam Spade: Can we see the sun? And she said GPS was out…
Sure enough, Esme's automap shows her as somewhere in the vicinity of Rustle Fields, but the area of certainty is large and sometimes hops about. The orientation keeps jumping around too.
[OOC] WC GM: There's enough sunlight filtering through that you know which way it is.
Esme frowns. "Mrr. Still that interference, but can work with this."
Max Thorn: "It's not gonna leave 'til we leave."
Esme: "Seems to be the case. Probably too much effort to circumvent it for now, as well." She pauses. "But I'll figure that out later."
Rese seems to be getting somewhere, finally: one of the elders is dragging her by the ear to a hut.
Sam Spade grimaces.
Sam Spade: "Still not sure how we're supposed to find this place from the nests…."
Sam Spade: "Especially since the fields are rustling louder than the people in the village."
Esme waves it off. "We'll figure it out! Let's see what's around."
Sam Spade: "Um. Okay…"
[OOC] WC GM: Assuming the group is heading nest-ward…
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yup.
[OOC] Esme: zoom zoom boom boom
Sam spies another fletchinder in the skies, through the canopy. Not Malta, and this one seems to be studying something on the ground.
Sam's ears pick up nervous peeping from where the other feltchinder is looking.
Sam Spade moves quietly through the grass.
A torchic with a messy beak crouches behind what looks like the removed head of a scyther - especially likely since another scyther is glaring at the torchic from the other side of the head.
The fletchinder gazes on both of them with a hungry look.
Sam Spade whispers, "Dibs!"
Esme peeks over Sam's head. "Whole lotta nature going on here."
Esme !
Esme: "On which?"
Sam Spade: "The little chicklet, I think."
Esme: "Oh good! Dibs on the other, then."
Sam Spade: "Sounds like a deal."
The fletchinder dives, talons open, apparently intending to scoop up both morsels.
Malta blocks! Quick Guard!
[OOC] Esme: niiiice
Sam Spade: "Hey there, little chicklet. You were hungry, weren't you?"
The other fletchinder peels off and "FLETCH" es angrily.
[OOC] WC GM: Sam: Pokemon Ed
Sam Spade rolled up 1d6: 5 (5) (Pokeknow nothing)
[OOC] Sam Spade: …Not a bad roll, under the circumstances, which are greatly lacking.
[OOC] WC GM: Anyone else too, if you want.
Esme rolled up 2d6+1: 11 (11) ((Is this a bird))
The torchic jumps at Sam's voice, and whirls using the head as a shield.
Esme squints.
Esme: "There's more nature to this picture."
Sam Spade: "Huh?"
Sam Spade: "I mean, yeah, I think the mantis-thing was bigger than the chicklet, but…"
Max Thorn rolled up 5d6: 19 (19) (Pokémon ed)
[OOC] Max Thorn: haven't left yet cos waiting for other roomie
Esme: "The little ones are typically herbivores, so…"
Esme: "There's definitely more nature. Probably nearby?"
Sam Spade: "Um. I…so you're saying that there are a bunch of dead mantises nearby, or a bigger chicken?"
Max Thorn: "No, the torchic was framed and the fletchinder swooped too early."
Sam Spade: "….Oh."
[OOC] Jack Layfield: A FRAMEJOB? SHOCKING!
Jack Layfield: "Like what bro. That's… whoa."
Yes, that is one hungry-looking fletchinder. It almost seems to be eyeing the party now.
Sam Spade: "Well, well, little torchic…Think maybe we should get you out of the line of fire?"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Now, Sam being her completely pathetic poke-ed self, she's seen two tactics for recruiting pokemon…
Max Thorn: "Got any bird food, Sam? The fletchinder will probably leave if you gave it some."
The torchic backs away from Sam nervously, still holding the scyther head as a shield - to the living scyther's obvious frustration.
Esme starts skulking around towards the remaining, not-decapitated Scyther.
Max Thorn: "Or you could drive the fletchinder off, that'd work too."
Sam Spade: "That sounds like a much more practical idea…"
Hungry FLETCHINDER wants to eat! It caws and dives toward Sam!
[OOC] WC GM: Round 1! Sam first.
Sam Spade: "Malta! Get your cousin out of here! Hit it hard and DON'T STOP!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Shift to Tag the Fletchinder. Standard to issue Reckless Advance.
[OOC] WC GM: Next up: Jack and Malta!)
The scyther uses Quick Attack on the torchic.
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 13 (13)
The torchic's shield is slashed and battered, but still there - if bloodier.
Malta sidles over to a striking position, then raps the Fletchinder in the head with her beak! Malta used Peck!
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+1 2d6+8+16: 5 (5), 34 (34) (AC 2)
The other fletchinder does a barrel roll, barely dodging!
[OOC] Jack Layfield: What could I do to help?
[OOC] WC GM: Send out Sandy - or try to restrain the scyther and/or torchic.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Wither distract the scyther or help drive off the fletchinder
Jack throws out Sandy's pokeball.
Jack Layfield: "Sandy, don't go too aggro!"
[OOC] WC GM: Esme!
Esme tries to get the Scyther's attention. "Hey, hey!" She points up towards the flying fletchinder fight.
[OOC] WC GM: Command check
[OOC] Esme: Can I use Intimidate since I have Beast Master?
[OOC] WC GM: Sure
Esme rolled up 3d6+1: 12 (12) ((Listen to me I am big))
The scyther's attention is attracted! It watches the fletchinder dive right at Sam and…
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 10 (10)
WC GM rolled up 2d8+20: 29 (29)
…learn the hard way that Sam's head is too big to bite off in one go. Still, with beak clamped on Sam's head, a gout of flame emerges, washing over Sam!
[OOC] WC GM: 20 damage after defense.
[OOC] WC GM: Round 2! Sandy's first.
Sam Spade: "Yeouch!"
Jack Layfield: "Hey wait a minute!"
Jack Layfield: "Flechinder don't normally learn incinerate!"
Jack Layfield: "That's a TM move!"
Esme blinks.
Jack Layfield: "Somethings wacky here!"
Esme: "I'm genuinely impressed he knew that."
Jack Layfield: "My skull isn't hollow brah. I know lots of radical facts."
Jack taps his forehead
Jack Layfield: "Sandy, get that fletchinder to back off! Sand Attack, make an opening the others can exploit!"
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 8 (8) (ac 2)
[OOC] Jack Layfield: if it his, fletchinder is blinded until the end of it's next turn
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Sand attack is actually way better in PTU surprisingly
As Sandy's sand lands true…Jack knows Sandy's limits. Calling up streams of sand from all around might be poetically linked to Sandy's attack, but that's not Sandy's doing even if timed perfectly to seem at first to just be a boosted attack.
The fletchinder is not just blinded, but sandblasted off of Sam's head.
[OOC] WC GM: Malta's turn!
Sam Spade: "Hit him hard, Malta! Show him you mean business!"
Jack Layfield: "Say what now…."
Malta used Peck again!
Jack Layfield: "Did Sandy do that?"
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+2 2d6+8+16: 8 (8), 34 (34)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sandy or possibly Sands
The fletchinder is completely unable to see the attack coming. Malta hits hard!
Sam Spade: "Well, Sands certainly didn't follow us, that'd be crazy."
[OOC] WC GM: It wasn't Sands.
[OOC] WC GM: Too many sources, for one.
[OOC] WC GM: Or at least, it wasn't just Sands.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Oh, crap, that's an additional +8 for Malta I forgot to note, but Malta is now Vulnerable for a full round.
[OOC] WC GM: Sam & Jack!
The scyther keeps watching the battle.
Sam Spade wipes the blood away from her forehead but otherwise seems to be ignoring the Fletchinder, looking directly at the torchic.
Sam Spade: "See? We're tough, we can protect a little cutie like you! Don't you want to hang around us for a while?"
The torchic looks back at Sam with terrified eyes. "Tor?"
Sam Spade used Manipulate: Flirt!
Sam Spade rolled up 5d6: 18 (18) (Guile)
Jack charges at the fletchinder, and winds up with a leg to go bird punting.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Jack uses strength!
[OOC] Sam Spade: Urp! Flirt is Charm, not Guile, which is only 4d6. Want me to reroll?
[OOC] WC GM: Nah, +1d6 situational bonus.
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 13 (13) (ac 2)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Okay, then.
Jack's punt lands square and true!
[OOC] WC GM: Roll damage
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d8+22: 32 (32) (damage)
It is more of a hi-jump kick than a true punt, but the punt sends the fletchinder flying off into the distance!
Esme: "Huh, did that do it?"
There is a light smattering of applause from the surrounding grass, as the torchic runs up to Sam and hugs her right shin tight.
Jack Layfield: "That pokemon is crazy, it looked like it wanted to eat Sam."
Sam Spade scritches the Torchic's head.
Sam Spade sets a pokeball down next to the Torchic.
Sam Spade: "So, you wanna stay with us?"
[OOC] WC GM: And +6 pokemon XP per trainer - looks like Tim's XP share is still in range.
The torchic cheeps and headbutts the pokeball.
WC GM rolled up 1d100: 46 (46)
Wobble…
…wobble…
…wob-click!
TORCHIC has been added to Sam's party!
[OOC] WC GM: How does Esme try to recruit the scyther?
Esme: "…looks like it did it. Pseudo-nature, avenged." She turns her eyes to the applauding grass. "Deal with that in a second… But first!" She goes and gathers the scyther remains-Well, the head at least, and gently sets it down in front of the other.
The scyther clasps its blades together. It is hard to tell if that is a defensive move.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Reaction, or next PC, or…?
Esme steps back and crosses her arms. "Unfortunate about your friend. Would you like to see the cause, though?" She unclasps a pester ball, tossing it over towards where that clapping came from.
Two green-clad ninja leap from the grass to avoid the ball.
Ninja: "It was self defense!" "We did not mean for anyone else to find the bait."
Esme: "Bait, huh."
Now that the torchic is not holding the head, it has fallen flat against the ground, where all can see a few tiny purple-green vials embedded in it.
Ninja: "Your friend is not the first it has tried to eat." "We think it belongs to Team Jaeger."
A third ninja emerges from the far side, with bandages that are soon applied to Sam's wounds.
The scyther just…stares.
Sam Spade: "That…is an odd possibility that I must admit I had not considered."
Ninja: "We have seen many pokemon with moves more powerful than they should have." "How many eruptions must one dodge in one day?"
Sam Spade: "Though, I have to point out I've never seen a Jaggie Fletchling or Fletchinder."
Sam Spade: "They mostly go for sandshrews and fighting types…"
Esme: "In any case…" She points to the Scyther. "There's a strong pokemon about, and it got your friend…" She produces a Net Ball. "But if you joined me and got stronger, you could avenge your friend properly!"
The ninja look nervous.
The scyther looks dubious.
Jack Layfield: "I swear, it's ninjas all the way down in these fields."
Esme approaches, offering it.
[OOC] WC GM: "Not true," protest the ninjas pretending to be the ground.
The scyther moves to slash the pokeball. Unfortunately, contact opens it, with the predictable effect.
WC GM rolled up 1d100: 66 (66)
The pokeball closes and wobbles in Esme's hand.
It wobbles again, as if trying to roll out.
And a third time, where it does escape her grasp…
…only to click and ding before it hits the ground, staying shut.
[OOC] Esme: SUCKER
Max Thorn: "Excellent work, both of you."
Esme exhales all the air at once, picking up the ball. "Mon dieu. Making my own was easier."
Sam Spade immediately pops the Torchic back out.
Sam Spade: "Let's see how you like this, okay?"
Ninja: "Thank you for driving that enhanced pokemon away." "But could you call your fletchinder down, if it is yours? It's marking our position."
Sam Spade sets the Torchic on her shoulder - not Malta's shoulder, mind, but the other.
Sam Spade: "….Perhaps, if you insist."
Sam Spade: "Malta!"
Max Thorn: "Well, yes, but you can't genetically engineer pokemon, generally."
Malta plummets, pulling herself out of the dive at the last minute and landing on her shoulder, popping one wing out for balance.
The torchic hisses angrily, but Malta reaches over and preens the torchic.
The torchic looks confused now.
Max Thorn: "Got a name in mind?"
Ninja: "Not genetically engineer. That would take time." "No, no, this is just public use training machines in town, that the wild pokemon know about."
Esme: "Aside from Mewtwo, and porygon, and castform, and magnemite, and muk, and…"
Max Thorn holds up a finger. "Mewtwo is a special case." Another finger. "Porygon is a program gone metastatic." Third finger. "Castforms and magnemites are constructs, not biological." Fourth finger. "And muks are pollution gone metastatic."
Sam Spade: "I think Chicklet suits you."
Esme: "And yet I could engineer like, 4 of those."
Max Thorn: "And Mewtwo is a special case because it took years of development."
Chicklet cocks her head.
Esme: "Arguably 5 with enough time, but we all saw how Mewtwo turned out."
Max Thorn: "With a gigantic lab."
Chicklet: "Chic!"
Jack Layfield: "Isn't there like, a cyborg bug pokemon or something max?"
Esme: "Ooh, I forgot about that one!"
Max Thorn: "Only one, and that one was a pokemon *before* some jackoffs experimented on it."
Max Thorn: "…Besides which, of the ones we've discussed, only Mewtwo was a genetic experiment."
Esme: "Still cou-" She pauses, just catching what the ninja said. "Wait, public use TMs?"
Max Thorn: "Didn't say artificial pokemon weren't a thing. Only said Esme can't genetically engineer pokemon."
Ninja: "Yes." "To make wild pokemon more devastating." "Fire pokemon especially." "The grass got more dangerous in response." "Cut off the town." "At least it gives us more cover."
Max Thorn clears throat. "Ahem. Anyway. Which TMs?"
Sam Spade: "And how does this work?"
[OOC] Anna Tommize: Back
[OOC] Sam Spade: Welcome back, we just wrapped pocapture with a Torchic and a Scyther
Esme narrows her eyes. "/You/ can't."
Ninja: "Incinerate, as you saw." "Fire Blast." "Flamethrower is a popular one." "I think they've been trying to set up Inferno."
Max Thorn: "Not at the moment, no. No portable labs."
Max Thorn: "Grass Knot, perchance?"
The ninja tilt their heads in unison, at some signal the party does not perceive. "Come, our leader has finished verifying your companion." "Ten's executioner's daughter."
Sam Spade: "Alright…"
Sam Spade follows, a fire bird on each shoulder.
Ninja: "And *her* sister." "There will probably be another contest."
The ninja lead the way back to the village.
Esme follows along, palming her newfound catch. "Now what to do with you…"
Di is sitting - a bit oddly, almost an uncanny valley effect only you are certain there are no computer graphics at play - on a porch next to Anna.
Anna Tommize coughs nervously.
Max Thorn: "Thinking about evolving it into a scizor and doing that Poison-type switcheroo you used with Lucrece?"
Anna Tommize: "Hey g-guys…"
Di: "I am satisfied, your friend is Ten's executioner's other daughter."
Anna Tommize: "Umm"
Sam Spade: "Yes, well."
Sam Spade: "Pity about the consequences of that action."
Max Thorn: "I prefer to not hold the offenses of the parent against the child."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Anna Tommize: "W-who was Ten?"
Di: "You've met him."
Anna Tommize blinks and tries to think back.
Di: "Or I should say, what remains of him."
Di: "And his mewtwo."
Anna Tommize: "T-the mewtwo guy?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: the mewtwo's puppeted trainer.
Anna Tommize: "T-that was his name?"
Sam Spade: "Also known as The Boss of Team Jaeger?"
Sam Spade: "Yeah, that was his name."
Anna Tommize: "I mean, he always seemed pretty alive, a-and uh…"
Di: "He had another, but I do not-"
Sam Spade: "Huh?"
Anna Tommize: "I-it was more like a callsign I thought…"
Di glances at Anna. "'Alive', executioner's daughter?"
Sam Spade: "It was his number in the cloning cycle, I believe…"
Anna Tommize flinches.
Anna Tommize: "W-well, he sort of…"
Anna Tommize: "Attacked us?"
Anna Tommize: "Sort of?"
Jack Layfield: "It's the same thing. The kids are cloned, they're given a number. Boss Jaeger was the tenth clone and mewtwo pair."
Anna Tommize: "A-and normally t-that's a…living person thing…"
Di: "Ten himself was not a clone, though he has one."
Anna Tommize: "S-so I guess I assumed…"
Di: "You've met him too."
Anna Tommize: "Yeah, T-tim. Oh, I get it. Ten. Tim. Ehehe…"
Anna Tommize smiles briefly to herself.
Max Thorn pinches the bridge of his nose.
Di: "…no, I am told 'Tim' comes from Ten's other name."
Max Thorn: "We had a very enlightening conversation and mental journey."
Anna Tommize nervously looks out of the side of her eye at Di.
Di: "And soon you will travel to Dojji."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Anna Tommize: "A-and…T-turn off the mind control machine, right?"
Di: "Doubtless you have acquired bits and pieces of the prophecies so far."
Max Thorn: "A complete set would be useful."
Di: "The machine you must face is not mind control. No, it is blunt and simple power."
Anna Tommize gulps.
Anna Tommize: "D-do I…"
Anna Tommize fiddles her mears.
Jack Layfield: "Well then it's easy. If it's blunt and simple, it has a blunt and simple solution. We smash it."
Anna Tommize: "D-do I need to?"
Di: "You have faced a raidertank. That news spread quick. What do you know about their mega evolution?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: ♫ Power… was all I desired (I desired)… But all that grew inside me was the darkness I acquired… ♫
Anna Tommize: "Umm…"
[OOC] Max Thorn: sorry, couldn't help it.
Anna Tommize: "They mega evolve?"
[OOC] WC GM: NP, it fits.
Anna Tommize: "I-I mean I have one of the rotoms…"
Di: "They should not be able to, any more than a refrigerator can."
Max Thorn: "We didn't smash it, the sea did."
Di: "And yet, many from Dojji speak of Mega Raidertank."
Max Thorn: "But that was after we convinced the rotom to leave."
Anna Tommize: "Y-yeah. L-Lugers d-did the heavy lifting on the tank."
Anna Tommize: "It was really reckless about it actually…"
Esme rolls her eyes.
Di: "Do you mean Lugia? Its fury is understandable."
Anna Tommize: "Y-yeah that thing."
Di: "Do you know the reason?"
Anna Tommize: "I-I might be more amenable i-if it wasn't influencing the poor rotom to run amok…"
Esme: "When we encountered it, it seemed like it was trying to hide."
Di: "It is the other way around. What do you know of Dojji - how it truly is today, and what it was?"
Max Thorn: "About what the schoolbooks have to say. Which is of course watered down and whitewashed as heck."
Esme: "We know that it's covered in raidertanks, and mostly desert at this point…"
Max Thorn: "I'm sure if the publisher didn't have to worry about parents getting upset over language, though, 'hellhole' would be an adequate summation."
Di: "Hmm. And what do you suppose would cause such a change, from the fertile land Dojji once was?"
Jack Layfield: "Violent, massive war. Technological might thrown against radical psychic power."
Esme shrugs. "Combination mass drought and carpetbombing?"
Di: "Yes, yes, those all contributed."
Sam Spade: "Also rogue tanks that destroy everything down to the dirt and keep doing it?"
Di: "That…DEFINITELY contributed. A bane like that would wither if not maintained."
Anna Tommize: "…Amoda?"
Di: "Our Ho-oh and Lugia are like brother and sister. So you can imagine Lugia's concern when Ho-oh went missing."
Jack Layfield: "Wait what."
Di: "Lugia can no longer set foot on, over, or under Dojji. She can reach right up to the shore, and does with much fury."
Di: "Lugia believes Ho-oh to be trapped within Dojji."
Sam Spade: "That…would…"
Sam Spade: "Huh."
Di: "And so long as Dojji remains desert, it will remain this way."
Max Thorn: "Be glad to resolve that."
Di: "Many would be glad for you to do so. Many Jaegers included."
Anna Tommize: "But isn't ho-oh behind the mount silver eruption?"
Anna Tommize: "I read about it…"
Sam Spade smiles politely at Anna.
Anna Tommize tilts her head.
Esme makes a note. "Seems more of a Heatran thing."
Sam Spade: "You shouldn't believe everything you read, Anna. Trust me on this."
Anna Tommize: "Oh, yeah that's…"
Anna Tommize: "It is more of a Heatran thing…"
Anna Tommize frowns…
Anna Tommize: "But why would Ho-oh work with Zoroark…"
Anna Tommize makes a face like she's thinking real hard.
Di: "But let me pull your concerns to the present. Rese."
Esme: "I've been doing research on a bunch of your…" She makes another note. "'Findings'. We'll uhh, have to have a talk about them later."
Anna Tommize: "Huh? Yeah, sure thing Esme."
Anna Tommize: "Oh. R-rese…"
Di: "Honestly, it may have been better had Rese not returned."
Anna Tommize: "Yeah I shouldn't have accepted her challenge…"
Anna Tommize: "I-I'm sorry…"
Di: "Oh? What's this?"
Anna Tommize: "W-we were at Diablo's gym, a-and we defeated her and her lucario in the gym challenge…"
Anna Tommize: "A-and she came to me and challenged me…"
Anna Tommize looks at the floor blushing.
Anna Tommize: "A-and called me fluffy…"
Although Di's face is masked, you can see a smile in Di's eyes.
Anna Tommize: "And then we went to meet her and she got darted, b-but we woke her up, but her partner was already stolen."
Anna Tommize: "I-it was the Lucario we saw earlier…"
Jack Layfield: "And then Team Bunch O' Jerks ran off to you with the Lucario."
Di: "Doubtless she complained that we have long 'stolen' her lucario?"
Anna Tommize: "…Didn't you?"
Sam Spade: "Perhaps."
Jack Layfield: "Seriously they're going to cause trouble."
Anna Tommize: "It seemed pretty pleased when it was fighting with her…"
Anna Tommize: "T-they seemed really in sync…"
Sam Spade: "That one's definite, but to be fair they may not cause trouble for the ninjas and so the ninjas may not care about the trouble they cause."
Di: "Yes. They have bonded…perhaps too well."
Di: "That lucario was all she had left of her mother. We sought to protect the legacy of the Champion, but…"
Max Thorn: "Best way to protect it would've been to give her the lucario and shape her to honour her mother."
Max Thorn: "Be a bit late for that now, probably, aside from the 'give her the lucario' part."
Di: "I fear she has invested her empathy in that pokemon. When they fight, she feels her lucario's rush of battle. Her lucario fights harder to nurture that feeling in her, increasing the lucario's own thrill."
Anna Tommize: "S-so…"
Anna Tommize: "Why not let them…"
Jack Layfield: "There's a point to this, right?"
Di: "She has trouble connecting to other people now. At most you might get 'favored rival', someone she really wants to fight." Di looks at Anna.
Max Thorn: "So help her to master that, rather than allow it to master /her/."
Di: "Short of that, the most she can do is hollow, empty, meaningless snuggles."
Max Thorn: "…I would be surprised if her mother didn't have that same bond with the lucario."
Anna Tommize: "…She kissed Jack…"
Anna Tommize looks down and starts counting grass.
Jack Layfield: "Wait, am I hollow, empty, and meaningless?"
Jack Layfield: "Ouch."
Anna Tommize sniffs.
Di: "Ask your companions. But I refer to her feelings."
Anna Tommize: "No…"
Sam Spade: "I think Di means that Rese snuggling with you last night was hollow, empty, and meaningless."
Sam Spade: "You're radical, Jack, you know that."
Jack Layfield: "Though I think she does see me as 'favored rival'. And maybe just a bit of a brainless fool."
Anna Tommize: "Isn't her place t-to decide what's hollow, or empty, or meaningless, for herself?"
Jack Layfield: "Probably Anna, but we're talking behind her back, and that's the perfect time to get all judgmental on people."
Anna Tommize sits down, still not looking at anybody.
Jack Layfield: "And you know, maybe this is some of me and my parent's radical fringe thinking."
Meeps starts rubbing against Anna, and Anna in turn works the Mareep's fluff.
Jack Layfield: "But maybe you mysterious wise Ninja folks should tell Rese this instead of some random strangers."
Chicklet: "Chic!"
Di: "We might, save for two complicating factors."
Di: "First, she no longer trusts us."
Anna Tommize: "You stole her Lucario…"
Di: "Second, she has already escaped. Could you track her down, please?"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License