Session 30

Indeed, there is no sign of Rese in the village.
Di stands up, and once again the party gets the impression of a balloon animal in ninja shape. "We should not delay. Besides, you were wanted in town by morning."
Jack Layfield: "Well then. Time to try to salvage this uncool mess."
Esme: "We were?"
Di: "By Ten's clone."
Sam Spade: "Yeah."
Sam Spade: "He promised unholy wrath of the jaggies if we didn't reunite with him, remember?"
Esme perks. "Oh! Pff."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, not exactly a crazy problem."
Sam Spade: "But…"
Sam Spade: "These community training machines…are they in town?"
Di nods. "We will pass them on the way in."
Esme: "I /did/ want to inspect those. Might as well get a move on then."
Di: "This guise will attract attention. A moment." Di flickers, shimmers, and grows, until the party beholds a perfect copy of Rese.
DiRese: "Now let's go." Even the voice is perfect.
Jack Layfield: "Now that's downright spooky."
DiRese heads off into the grass.
Sam Spade follows.
The grass rustles for a bit, until it stops. DiRese's voice comes from ahead. "Well. The good news is, your path is unimpeded."
Sam Spade: "The bad news is, it's because the Jaggies made a path right to your door?"
DiRese: "Not…yet."
A bit more forward and the grass simply ends. Someone blazed a path through here. In the distance you can see buildings.
DiRese is standing there, surveying what remains of the grass cuttings on the ground.
DiRese: "But they can follow this path once they know of it."
Sam Spade: "So, how can we avoid that as a logical result?"
DiRese: "Are any of you familiar with the elemental properties of the land? If I just had a green shard, I could make the grass grow back as we passed."
DiRese: "But I do not know how to find them."
Esme: "Oh! Ninjas use shards too?"
Esme produces one of the green shards she picked up on the way to the Fields.
DiRese: "Not often. I learned this from-" 'She' blinks. "Oh! Thank you!"
Jack Layfield: "How many of those things do you have Esme?"
Esme: "Seems it's a lot more widespread than I thought, though only at a really basic level."
[OOC] Sam Spade: "What I wouldn't give for a Holocaust Cloak…"
DiRese takes the shard and crumbles it up with surprising strength. As its dust hits the ground, the grass does indeed grow back.
Esme: "Good question!" She pulls out her pokedex, in which she's been keeping a running log. "A bit under 80, right now. Only sixte-/fifteen/ green, though."
DiRese carefully measures out the dust while walking toward town. By now you can see what look like scales, or large metal pans for pokemon to sit in, hung from sturdy brass mounts that look like they might have once held hangman's nooses.
Jack Layfield: "So not enough to cover this whole town in grass then."
Esme peers down at the grass. "Definitely not. Though I could probably find some more before we leave."
Esme: "Where'd you say you learned this again?"
A torchic leaps up to one - looking tiny in the wok-like pan, which seems sized more for combuskens - and slides to the center. A light shines over the torchic for a few minutes, then the torchic hops out, faces the sky, and lets off a textbook Fire Blast before wandering off.
Sam Spade: "Oh, neat!"
DiRese: "From the one who trained me and left me here."
DiRese: "He goes by the name-"
Esme's pokedex begins ringing.
Esme: "Allez, ah!"
Esme checks to see who could be pausing such dramatic reveals.
The pokedex says "INTERNATIONAL POLICE" .
Esme: "Huh. Ok, gonna answer that." Beep. "Bonjour, Esme Duval, speaking!"
???: "Hello. I got your number from Lieutenant Surge. Thank you for rescuing him."
DiRese STARES, then slowly melts into the grass.
Esme lets out a small sigh of relief. "Oh, this about /that/! Good. Good. No problem!" She motions Sam and Jack over to listen in on the call.
???: "This is Looker, with the International Police. Is this a good time to ask some further favors?"
Sam Spade moves closer, eyeballing the place where Di was. Is? Don't know about is.
Esme: "Perhaps? Depends on the favors in question."
[OOC] WC GM: Yes, this guy - http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/looker-pokemon-2.81.jpg - but getting on in years, with mostly grey-white hairs and more wrinkles.
Esme: "Not that I wouldn't like to help, but you may be added to an ever-growing list."
Looker: "Not surprised. By any chance are you headed to Rustle Fields soon?"
Esme looks around. "We may be in the area soon, yes."
Jack Layfield: "Allegedly."
Jack Layfield: "I cannot confirm or deny such a place exists at this time dude."
Looker: "Good, good. I left a surveillance relay in their gym. If you can get in there, you'll recognize it when you see it - it'll be a box about waist high, with a plug and a few buttons. For some reason it seems to have switched off. If you could switch it on, I would be better able to communicate with those who have gone into Amoda for me."
Looker: "Their gym leader was supposed to take care of it for me. If you could find out what happened to him, please tell him his old friend is worried about him."
Sam Spade: "We can look into that, yes…"
Looker: "And…might I ask, what are your feelings on Team Jaeger?"
Esme purses her lips.
Sam Spade: "They're…"
Esme: "It's complicated."
Esme: "Still mostly negative, though."
Sam Spade: "…They have understandable motivations for the reprehensible actions they've taken and the rules they have imposed."
Looker: "Huh. More positive than I'd expected. Still, would you like assistance driving them from Amoda?"
Jack Layfield: "Allegedly."
Sam Spade: "I don't know."
Sam Spade: "I think we'd like a more…organic extraction."
Sam Spade: "And from what we've heard, it's not like they have any place to go…other than prison, and not all of them deserve that."
Looker: "What do you mean?"
Sam Spade: "Is Dojji habitable?"
Looker: "…what does Dojji have to do with Team Jaeger?"
Looker: "They just invaded through Dojji, didn't they?"
Sam Spade: "Everything I'd heard was that was where they were from. Was it not?"
Looker: "FROM?!? But…that's…" The man on the far side of the call begins shuffling through papers.
Jack Layfield: "They certainly seem to claim that's where their from."
Esme: "And what all our own investigation has been turning up…"
Looker: "I see. Well. That alone is very useful information. Thank you."
Jack Layfield: "Say, uh… Booker, whatever your name is. Have you heard of a Team Stormcloud?"
Looker: "I have. Apparently it is some sort of resistance movement?"
Sam Spade: "….Of sorts…"
Jack Layfield: "Resistance to everything."
Jack Layfield: "And just sort of criminal stupidity in general."
Looker: "So…they are not good people to overthrow Team Jaeger?" He mutters, "I should've known any Team…"
Jack Layfield: "They want to overthrow all systems, Cooker."
Looker: "Hmm. Well. I suppose I need to ask you something else, then."
Looker: "What should an agency that wants Amoda's prior government restored, do?"
Jack Layfield: "Panic."
Sam Spade: "I…"
Sam Spade: "…Give us time?"
Esme: "…Wait."
Esme: "…Yeah."
Jack Layfield: "More seriously, talk to our gym leaders."
Sam Spade: "So far, it seems like all the gym leaders are still in place."
Sam Spade: "They're…disadvantaged, yes, and crippled under the current rules…"
Looker: "Not all of them. Some have been replaced, such as Rustle Field's and Bay Island's."
Esme: "There also seems to be a bunch of things that are rapidly becoming apparent, that nobody individually seemed to know about, but collectively all the loose ends tie together."
Esme: "So given time we could get a nice bundle of yarn together, so to speak."
Jack Layfield: "The one advantage we have, is Team Jaeger don't seem to actually have a long term plan themselves."
Jack Layfield: "They're the growlithe that caught the car, so to speak."
Looker: "We can certainly give a bit more time. You mentioned Dojji's habitability?"
Looker: "Is there some trouble there?"
Esme wiggles her shoulders. "Lack thereof."
Looker: "I'm getting the satellite feeds n-"
Looker's eyes go wide.
Looker whispers, "What…kind of…apocalypse…?"
Esme: "Yup!"
Jack Layfield: "There are also tanks rampaging everywhere apparently."
Looker: "Tanks."
Anna Tommize: "R-Rotom tanks yeah…"
Looker: "Rotom…" He blinks.
Looker: "I can try to coordinate a relief operation. It will take several days to arrive, though - and it won't be armed. Would you be able to get the locals to secure some landing sites?"
Jack Layfield: "Not to insult you Hooker, but is there someone we can talk to who actually knows something about the history of the Amoda region?"
Looker: "Yes, well. That is part of why I am calling."
Sam Spade: "Honestly? Outside of Amoda? I doubt it."
Sam Spade: "The Jaggies did a pretty good job of cutting off communications."
Sam Spade: "I'm still not sure how he managed to contact us, if he can't contact anyone else."
Looker: "Once you reactivate the surveillance relay, that will reestablish my ability to call what agents I had."
Looker: "It won't be long before this call is blocked too."
Jack Layfield: "We can do that."
Looker: "Thank you. And please find the Rustle FIelds gym leader, his name is-"
The call cuts off.
Esme looks disappointed but unsurprised. "Again with this."
Esme's pokedex displays, "SIGNAL LOST" .
Jack Layfield: "Son OF A."
DiRese steps back out of the grass, a bit shaken.
Sam Spade: "Anyway, Di. You were saying?"
DiRese: "There is something you should see, up ahead, it'll be to your right. Let's go."
DiRese continues along, dusting the cut grass to make it regrow.
Sam Spade: "Alright."
Not far ahead, there is another cleared path through the grass, off to the right but intersecting the current clearing.
[OOC] WC GM: Survival checks, or anything else usable for land navigation, all
[OOC] Sam Spade: Is Perception usable?
[OOC] WC GM: Not quite, since this involves memory too.
[OOC] Sam Spade: In that case…
Sam Spade rolled up 1d6: 3 (3) (Survival)
[OOC] Esme: …Focus?
[OOC] WC GM: Focus might work, at a slight penalty.
Sam Spade rolled up 5d6: 10 (10) (Focus)
Esme rolled up 3d6+1: 9 (9) (Wif Penalty)
[OOC] WC GM: Jack? Anna?
It is easy enough to tell that this second path was made the same way as the first: someone with power, perhaps an ignited aura, just blazing on through. There are certain pokemon who can do that, and legends - nothing confirmed - of certain humans.
Or possibly just something to slash with, and temper short enough to take out on a lot of grass.
Sam Spade: "Hey, Di. Does this look like it could possibly be Rese's trail?"
DiRese: "The one we just erased was. This other one…unless she cut a diversion trail, and she is not that clever."
Esme: "You all still have the Lucario, right?"
Sam Spade: "…Or…"
DiRese: "Back at the village. But she may have been lead to believe it was in town."
Sam Spade: "How mad was Tim at Di 'kidnapping' us?"
DiRese: "…do you mean that Tim is this powerful?"
Sam Spade: "I…"
Sam Spade: "I have no idea. I honestly have no idea."
Sam Spade: "Same goes for Sands. They're…they have their own mysteries."
DiRese: "Sands? Did Sandy sire a child, finally?"
Sam Spade: "….No, but Sandy decided to accept a renaming to Sands to reduce confusion with the *other* Sandy here."
Sam Spade: "Not that I would call certain people unimaginative, mind you."
Anna Tommize blinks.
DiRese just…looks at Sam, expression unreadable.
Anna Tommize: "Jack, are you unimaginative?"
Sam Spade: "What can you tell us of Sands- err, the Sandy you know of?"
Jack Layfield: "Completely, never had an original thought in my boring life."
Jack lays on the sarcasm thick.
DiRese: "Sandy was Ten's other pokemon."
Sam Spade: "I'm pretty sure that I distinctly said that I wasn't calling ANYONE unimaginative."
Sam Spade: "….That's….huh."
Sam Spade: "That makes a lot of sense."
Esme: "More revelations!"
DiRese: "Ten was the only one of them with more than just a mewtwo."
Sam Spade: "So in a way, Sands is just keeping an eye out on his old trainer's kid…but also perhaps the closest thing he has to his old trainer."
DiRese: "And…possibly the reason Ten empathized enough to take his mewtwo's bullet."
Jack Layfield: "Hmmmmmmmmm."
Sam Spade: "….poor Sandy…"
DiRese: "If that is the sandshrew who now accompanies Ten's clone, he might never evolve now."
Sam Spade: "Under the circumstances, I doubt it was anyone else's decision but his own."
Sam Spade: "…Though that does explain why almost every Jaggie we've seen has had a sandshrew…"
Anna Tommize: "I-I thought they had the sandslashes to dig in case of a uh…"
DiRese: "They say it is training, for survival in Dojji."
Anna Tommize: "A-a tank attack?"
Sam Spade: "Indeed. But surely there are other pokemon that can dig."
Sam Spade: "However, if Ten was the trainer of one, that might help make up their mind to work with a sandshrew instead of an alternative."
Sam Spade: "Not, mind, that they're the only Jaggie pokemon we've seen."
Esme: "Yeah…"
DiRese: "You know much about Team Jaeger."
DiRese: "I wonder, are-"
Very loud cursing comes from inside town. At least you know where Rese is now.
Esme claps her hands together. "Aha! Well one mystery solved."
The sound is soon followed by explosions, and smoke drifting up about two streets ahead.
Anna Tommize flinches at the sound.
Anna Tommize: "O-o-oh gosh…"
Sam Spade: "Now I'm worried about Rese and Tim running into each other."
Sam Spade starts jogging in the direction of explosion.
Anna Tommize grits her teeth and starts running forth to the explosion~!
Sure enough, Rese on one end of the street, Team Jaeger on the other, seemingly defending the pokemon center from her.
Sam Spade: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's everybody calm down here, no need for explosions…"
Rese launches attack after attack; Team Jaeger just puts up defense after defense - a slab of iron here, a straight-up Protect there, and so on. They see to be projecting a palpable attitude of condescension, as if daring Rese to do anything effective.
But Rese shows no sign of tiring yet.
…and come to think of it, where did Di disappear to?
[OOC] Sam Spade: That one's obvious.
[OOC] Sam Spade: ANYWHERE AN OBVIOUSLY BERSERK RESE WON'T SEE H…im? Di is a guy or a girl?
Sam Spade: "Let's…all…calm, think, nice peaceful thoughts."
Anna Tommize gulps and panics, glancing from side to side.
Anna Tommize: "Rese!"
Anna Tommize: "What are you doing!?"
[OOC] WC GM: Di seems to identify male.
Esme: "Trying to fight them, looks like."
Rese: "These…" *punch* "…bastards…" *aura sphere* "…have…" *kick* "…my…" *rock throw* "…lucario!"
Anna Tommize: "Doesn't Di have it!?"
Team Jaeger Grunt: "No we don't."
Anna Tommize: "Didn't Team Stormcloud take it!?"
Anna Tommize: "I-I dun like Jaggies either but you need to s-slow down and think!"
Sam Spade: "That…is a rather impressive moveset, by the way."
Team Jaeger Grunt: "Hey, trainers. This lady's full of energy. You know if she took drugs or something? At this point I wanna see how long she can go."
Wild RESE used Strength! It finally seems to have landed a scratch on TEAM JAEGER!
Esme: "Oh, she doesn't really stop, from what I know. Though I agree she should calm down, probably."
Team Jaeger Grunt: "Shrewy! Ooh, okay now I'm mad too."
One of the Jaegers - a taller, elegant lady, with immaculately styled flame colored hair - detaches herself from the rear of the group. "Enough, then. I shall handle this distraction."
Team Jaeger Grunt: "As you say, Ignacia."
The other Jaegers - Tim does not seem to be among them…wait, there he is, watching from inside the pokemon center - draw back and shield their eyes.
Sam Spade: "Um. What is she a distraction from, may I ask?"
Rese glowers at Ignacia, almost as if preparing a Hyper Beam.
Ignacia, in one practiced motion, simply taps all six pokeballs on her belt with one hand, and snaps her fingers with her others. It almost seems her pokemon begin attacking before fully materialized; the combined firepower is enough the party has to avert their eyes…
Anna suddenly finds a surprised Rese in her arms.
Di: "Go! Quickly!"
Sam Spade grabs Anna and drags her and Rese out of sight.
Esme absconds!
The fire dies down, leaving a pair of smoking shoes similar to the ones Rese is wearing.
Ignacia smirks. "Hmph! And that, is that." She heads back inside, followed by the other Jaegers.
Esme: "Those weren't sandshrew."
Sam Spade: "No…"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License