Session 38

Once the party is away from the ruined colony site, now and then raidertanks resume taking interest - and falling behind, every time. It would take something like a pre-planned barricade, a large swarm already in the party's path, for them to have a chance.
Naturally, just as a near-skyscraper - cratered and cracked in many places, but still standing - comes into site, so does a swarm of raidertanks in the party's path. Fortunately their backs are all to the party so far.
Sam Spade: "Go around?"
These raidertanks seem to be forming a loose ring around the building. The building corresponds to the coordinates of the lab.
Max Thorn: "…Would need to go over or under, I think. See anything we can ramp off of?"
There are some dunes a distance to the side. Not ideal ramping, but it's the best immediately available.
Sam Spade: "That's about all we got."
Esme: "Maybe we could lure them away? Break the formation?"
Max Thorn: "I doubt they'd be willingly lured away by anything we could do."
Sam Spade: "Sure they would."
Sam Spade: "They'd be lured away by us being here."
Sam Spade: "And we're faster than they are, so we just need to pull them out far enough, circle past them, and get in and out before they can get back."
As the party gets closer, it appears there is a blasted circle surrounding the lab, shortly inside the raidertank perimeter. Battered and blackened raidertank shells litter the ground around the outskirts of this circle. Closer in, not even that much remains.
Esme: "Oh ho~"
Linnea: "They really cleared out this place…"
Sam Spade: "Well, if the Professor wasn't lying, there's an angry ghost here."
Antennas can be seen along the top of the building. Esme and Max recognize them as similar to theoretical wireless power devices of old.
Esme: "Hrm. Assuming we can get past them, they shouldn't chase us further in. Shoot, probably, but not chase." She frowns. "Also the matter of the ghost."
Linnea: "Knew I should have prepared some wards from the first time I heard about it…damn."
Max Thorn: "Indeed. Well…are we going try ramping in, or head to another site for assistance?"
Sam Spade hesitates.
Sam Spade: "I'm not sure we want to drag more people into this mess."
Suddenly, one of the raidertanks lets off a blast at the building. Before the shot can impact, lightning flies from one of the antennas with a ZORCH, incinerating the shot midair.
Esme: "Huh."
Max Thorn: "…Well, then."
Sam Spade: "Yeah."
Linnea: "…"
Sam Spade: "Little unsure about what'll happen if we jump the hoverbikes in there."
Esme: "Neat!"
Linnea: "Mad science. Melo."
Max Thorn: "I *think* we'll be okay. We're identifiably human and not a raidertank's shells."
Linnea: "Well, we only got one shot… no pun intended."
Esme: "Well by all means, you're welcome to test whether the electricity cares if you're a raidertank or not."
Sam Spade: "Linnea's not, she's in the car with Jack."
Sam Spade: "Jack's not, he's in the car with Linnea."
Sam Spade hesitates.s
Sam Spade: "Max, you think it'll work?"
Max Thorn cruises around to one of the theoretically-rampable dunes nearest the lab, heads away from it for a bit, and then turns around and revs the shit out of his hoverbike.
Max Thorn: "Stupid, insane risk, but I don't think we really have a choice. I'm going in."
Sam Spade: "Alright."
Sam Spade pulls her hand off the clutch of her own bike. For now.
[OOC] WC GM: Focus or Athletics check.
Max Thorn rolled up 2d6: 5 (2 3) (Focus, please roll favorably…)
[OOC] Max Thorn: …
Max peels off to the side of the dune and into the swarm! Fortunately he avoids collision, but the swarm begins to notice.
[OOC] WC GM: Combat time. Max, then the rest of the party, then the raidertanks react.
Max Thorn: "Fuck." Max aims to pass between the raidertanks…
[OOC] WC GM: Focus or Athletics, again.
Linnea: "Oh, good. I don't think raidertanks care how magical I am."
Max Thorn rolled up 2d6: 6 (4 2) (Focus…)
Sam Spade: "Yeah. Cut loose!"
The raidertanks close ranks. Max is still mid-swarm.
[OOC] WC GM: Everyone else?
Sam Spade guns it to ramp and jump in next to Max!
Sam Spade: "MALTA! COVER US!"
Sam Spade rolled up 5d6: 16 (3 2 4 5 2) (Focus.)
Sam RAMPS - and winds up on top of the swarm, distracting several raidertanks!
Linnea pummels fist into open palm. There's a flash of scarlet light, and Linnea now appears in her previous form, with the cloak-overed light armor. She then turns to blow a kiss at once of the Raidertanks - except an actual magical form appears, a bright pink heart that zooms through the air and smacks into the unfortunate, trying to jam its sensors. [Bind 2 AP: Enchanting Transformation] [Sweet Kiss]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 17 (17) (AC6, ignores Spd Evasion while transformed)
The raidertanks are clustered tightly enough together that Linnea actually manages to hit several of them, causing them to veer and create a small hole.
Linnea: "Outta the way, gals'n'gents!"
A hole large enough for Jack to just drive right through. ((No check necessary.))
Linnea: "Ahahahaha!"
[OOC] WC GM: Esme?
Sam Spade: "I like the way you think, mysterious stranger!"
Esme revs her bike with a sigh. "I'll try Lin's idea." She palms a Pester Ball with one hand, and flings it down towards the nearby non-toppled raidertanks as she hits the ramp.
Max Thorn aims for that hole, if he can.
[OOC] Esme: do I need to roll for movement, or just my throw thing
[OOC] WC GM: The hole's big enough that you can just move through. Roll for throw.
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 3 (2) (AC 6, 1 AP)
[OOC] WC GM: Max: next round.
[OOC] Esme: Yay
[OOC] Max Thorn: 'kay
Esme hits - it is hard to miss the entire swarm without trying - but the tanks she hits are far off enough to the side that the ball does not help.
The tanks let off several salvos…
WC GM rolled up 4d20: 34 (8 15 5 6)
Linnea, Sam, and Max are hit! Esme dances her hoverbike out of the way at the last second.
Sam Spade: "Ouch!"
Linnea: "Hrghrghrghrghrg-"
WC GM rolled up 2d6+23 2d6+23 2d6+23: 26 (2 1) 26 (1 2) 28 (3 2)
Esme is in no way going to complain about that.
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea and Sam take 26-Defense damage each. Max takes 28-Defense.
[OOC] WC GM: Round 2! Max first!
[OOC] Linnea: 68/84
Max Thorn oofs, and makes for that gap Linnea opened up.
[OOC] Max Thorn: 61/78
[OOC] Sam Spade: 70/86 here.
[OOC] WC GM: Doing anything besides just racing in?
[OOC] Max Thorn: I don't really have anything I *can* do, aside from maybe calling a pokemon out, but…
[OOC] WC GM: Alright. Rest of party's actions?
Esme is going to try flinging another pester ball at the accosting tanks before gunning it. Because it'd be pretty convenient for them to not shoot us.
Linnea grumbles an AWFUL LOT, but nonetheless, the area around the vehicle glows with a strange pattern, tracing wards around Linnea to fend off future shellings. [Leyline: Attunement - +1 Def/Sp.Def CS]
Sam Spade bounces from raidertank to raidertank, moving fast enough that they can't do a good job of hitting her, following along behind Max.
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 4 (3) (AC 6 AGAIN)
[OOC] Esme: Yea boi
[OOC] Esme: Never again
Esme hits tanks on the other side of the gap, to the same amount of effect.
Esme snaps her fingers anyway, causing to explode in a shower of sparks. Screw it. Let em all get confused anyway.
Sam Spade: "Malta! Hit the ones in front of us, as hard as you can!"
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+1 2d6+8+13: 18 (17) 31 (4 6) (Ember: AC2, Focused Training, Fire/Special)
Once more, fire-type moves prove super effective. This only hits one, but one that was in front of a bunch of others, widening the gap and easily allowing Sam - the only one still mid-mob - to get past and out.
The raidertanks begin to give chase, taking aim…
[OOC] WC GM: Round 3! Now that everyone's past the blockade, all PCs in any order.
Sam Spade: "Okay, let's break line of sight! Apparently they can't get into the city, so let's hope we can!"
Esme isn't even going to bother trying to slow them this time. Double gun it to that building!
Max Thorn makes for the lab at his best pace…
Linnea points to the raidertanks behind them, and a beam of light lances forth, tracing out a wide arc for a slight distance. Magical energy crackles for a few moments before the whole lot explodes in a blinding flash of light! [Dazzling Gleam - anything within Cone 2?]
[OOC] WC GM: At the limits of distance, but go for it.
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 12 (12) (AC2, hit targets get -1 Acc on even rolls)
[OOC] Linnea: Fairy/Spec, so super effective?
Linnea rolled up 2d8*1.5+19*1.5: 45 (3 8) (Fairy/Special)
[OOC] WC GM: Not very effective, actually? Fairy vs. Steel/Ghost.
[OOC] WC GM: But it's a hit.
Linnea rolled up 2d8*.5+19*.5: 11.500000 (1 3) (Fairy/Special)
Linnea: "Oh, bollocks…"
The gleam throws off the tanks' aim - just a bit, but another round of shells are incoming through the gleam…
WC GM rolled up 4d20: 37 (15 3 9 10)
Linnea: "Metal. Metal metal metal metal. How could I forget! Fuck!"
This time Sam manages to swerve out of the way. Linnea, Max, and Esme take hits…
WC GM rolled up 4d6+23 4d6+23 4d6+23: 30 (1 2 2 2) 32 (3 2 3 1) 38 (3 4 5 3)
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea: 30-Defense, Max: 32-Defense, Esme: 38-Defense
[OOC] WC GM: Is Linnea looking back at the raidertanks? Presumably everyone else is looking ahead.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Correct on my part.
[OOC] Max Thorn: 40/78
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sam's got her head on a swivel, but she's planning routes.
[OOC] Linnea: 56/84
Linnea: "Rhhhaaaaaa!"
Esme veers off course, but manages to deflect part of the blast with her left hand. "Ugh."
[OOC] Esme: 65/83
The raidertanks cross the line of the blasted land - and then, for a moment, all is white except for the party's shadows, reaching ahead toward where the lab just was (and is again once the light fades). Linnea is temporarily blinded.
Linnea: "Agggghhh! What is this now?!"
Sam Spade: "Base defenses."
Sam Spade slows down and catches her breath.
Linnea squeezes her eyes shut and looks away. Not that it does much good now.
Shock waves ripple forth from behind the party - not enough to throw them from their vehicles, though it takes firm positioning not to at least swerve.
Sam Spade: "Good call, Max."
Esme squints and braces. "Hypothesis proven. Fair enough."
And then the light is gone, and the remnants of the party's pursuers smoke in stillness.
Linnea opens her eyes. Blink. Blinkblinkblink.
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea's sight will return when you wish, but at least in a minute or two. RP it.
Linnea: "Can't see shit… just a bunch of colors and grey. What's it look like out there? What happened?"
Sam Spade: "Um. I wasn't looking, but there's a whole nother rank of smashed tanks behind us."
Max Thorn: "Whew." He slows down to a somewhat less-breakneck pace, then looks 'round. "Lab's defenses utterly destroyed the raidertanks chasing us."
Linnea: "Oh, is that what that was? Hahah. Okay."
Linnea: "I feel a little better about that. Though, I got the startings of a pounding headache."
Sam Spade: "Raidertanks aren't very bright, are they?"
Linnea: "Only for a split second!"
Max Thorn: "If they were, we'd already be dead as a species, probably."
Linnea: "Hahahaha… ha?"
Linnea: "…"
Linnea: "Nevermind."
The rest of the party's trip is unhindered. The lab looms ahead - just one building, with damage from apparently the few times the raidertanks managed to score a hit over the years. A faded and cracked pokeball logo confirms the former ownership of the building, which apparently used to be more elaborate given the rubble around; this may be just the core of a former complex.
Max Thorn slows to a stop at the building, then disembarks and stretches.
Linnea squints around. She's starting to see vague shapes and such now, starting to come into focus again. Okay, good.
Linnea: "Ugh, okay. Who got hit with what and how hard where?"
If built up, this could have been where Dojji's Elite 4 hung out. Or attached to such a place, perhaps. The upper floors do not look safe to walk on, at any rate. The doors hang off their frames, and every ground-level window has long since been smashed.
Sam Spade: "I'm pretty much good. A few nicks and cuts, but I can take a beating."
Up close, the party can see small arms bullet holes in the walls, and a few skeletons - human and pokemon - just inside.
Sam Spade: "Does this place look familiar to any of you guys?"
Linnea sends out Miator, who regards the party with a mixture of horrified concern. "Kirrrrrr?"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Specifically, does it resemble the memory Ten gave us?
[OOC] WC GM: This is the place, yeah.
Linnea: "If anyone's real bad I can have Mia quick patch 'em."
Max Thorn: "Few through-and-throughs, maybe some shrapnel…" Max pats himself down with a grimace. "Great. I'm going to have to buy _another_ coat."
It takes Sam but a few moments wandering around to place roughly where the people in that vision were. She realizes, too late, that she is standing right where one of the combatants fell - just before she nearly trips on a skeleton of roughly the right size and shape.
Linnea points to Max's shape, almost entirely in focus now. "Okay you seem the worst off, so-"
Miator sort of glides over to Max, extending an arm - there's a brief, disorienting pulsing feeling, then the sharp pain of wounds rapidly healing and closing. [Heal Pulse - restores 50% max HP]
Max Thorn winces. "Well, that was certainly effective. Thanks."
[OOC] WC GM: Fortunately, Heal Pulse has no AC.
Linnea: "Yeah, it's uh. It's my - her - um, OUR. Kind of emergency button."
Max Thorn joins Sam…
Sam Spade bites her lip and closes her eyes. She's not used to death up-and-personal, even if…wait.
Sam Spade: "….Odd."
Linnea: "Okay so. Death fortress."
Sam Spade: "That vision was, what. Ten years old?"
Sam Spade: "And this body is still here?"
Sam Spade surveys the facility
Linnea: "Nobody get too chopped up, she can only do a bit more of that 'fore resting."
Sam Spade: "And this is where Ten and the MewTwo were, and the other…"
A quick survey shows it was indeed converted into a makeshift fortress, presumably after that battle.
Linnea: "Oh. So that's where the headache is coming from. Maybe."
Esme: "Could be a lot worse than a headache…"
Linnea: "Too many years old psychic compost."
Linnea: "Ugh."
Sam Spade: "Also, the Professor's daughter is here."
Sam Spade: "…She may or may not have been bonded to a MewTwo, considering where we are."
The outer rooms are filled with makeshift barricades - easily climbed past, if one is not a tank. One main entrance has the barricades shoved aside, apparently from the inside. Tread marks suggest some big vehicle backed up into this area, then left.
Sam Spade: "If she was the one Anna's dad hit, then I'm very glad Anna got sidetracked."
Linnea: "Right, nobody get ashed. I don't know greater resurrection rites yet."
Sam Spade: "That sounds like a very good goal."
Sam Spade: "…Think that was the transport that took the Professor out?"
From somewhere deep inside comes a faint, "Hello?"
Linnea: "(Oh Melo.)"
Sam Spade: "Hello?"
Linnea: "We come in peace!"
Linnea: "Don' shoot!"
Max Thorn: "Hello! Is it okay if we came in?"
The voice sounds like Petri's. "Did you bring my mommy?"
Linnea: "…"
Sam Spade: "No, but she sent us…"
Linnea pales considerably. It matches nicely with the magical sheen she's still giving off.
Sam Spade works her way deeper into the facility.
Esme follows after Sam, peeking into any nearby rooms they pass.
Linnea follows, glancing around nervously. Feeling more and more jumpy with every step.
The middle of the facility used to house elevators. The shaft collapsed at some point, leaving a series of navigable if rough ramps to a pair of underground levels.
Sam Spade is a professional, possibly paranormal, investigator, and AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOST.
Sam Spade may be cautiously mindful around ghosts, but that's different.
Max Thorn follows along as well…
Visible above are offices, then pokemon facilities, and what were probably staging points leading to the rest of the now-rubble complex.
Max Thorn pauses to check out the pokemon facilities.
Down below are glass tanks, mostly shattered, suggesting a lab set up for pokemon experiments.
Sam Spade: "Hello? Are you here, miss?"
The facilities are high above and hard to make out, but Max has seen artificial grass, ground, and other type-specific long-term pokemon care facilities and recognizes the same here.
From the lab level below comes the voice again. "My mommy put me here."
Max Thorn: "Fancy." He looks around. Any intact computers?
The second underground level, beneath the labs, appears to be power generation and storage. That would be what is keeping the defenses active. Makeshift but industrial-grade wiring comes up, through the labs, into the mess that is the building's upper stories.
[OOC] WC GM: Is Max going down to the lab?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yes.
There appears to remain no usable and easily accessible equipment above ground, without serious climbing or flight.
Sam Spade closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, then heads down.
Linnea follows shortly behind, knife drawn.
The lab level seems to have been mostly protected from outside incursion, though there was a fight even in here. At least this place was cleaned up, though: no bodies or bloodstains. Makeshift, and now abandoned, living quarters for at least a hundred lie in every direction: mattresses, clothes worn until they wore beyond threadbare, and graffiti cover everything but a few access paths.
Sam Spade pulls out Noiseless's pokeball and thumbs the button.
Sam can smell the stench of decay, though minor.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Bullet holes or explosions?
[OOC] Sam Spade: The former would be damage from the Amoda/Dojji war, while the latter would be the much more recent raidertank incursion.
[OOC] WC GM: Bullet holes, mostly. But more long-since-dead-and-rotted-away-ness.
[OOC] Sam Spade: War it was…
Max Thorn wrinkles his nose, and looks through the lab level for intact computers.
It takes Max a few minutes, but his academic training leads him to a still-functional lab space.
Sam Spade: "How long have you been down here, miss?"
Max Thorn: "…Aha. Okay, let's see…"
Max Thorn drags a chair or chair-like support over and gets to poking around, if he's able to.
There are a few computers still, wired to the power below, but long since deactivated. Most of them do not respond when Max pokes their power buttons, though one does - but the boot up sequence will apparently take a while.
In one corner of the lab is what looks like a privacy screen. The voice comes from behind that. "I've been here since my mommy took my body away."
The shattered remains of a cloning tank dominate another wall of the lab.
Linnea: "How does that even work?"
Max Thorn: "Esoterica I don't think I want to investigate…"
Esme: "If he gets the computer running, maybe we'll find out."
Sam Spade: "What's your name, miss?"
Above the tank is scrawled on the wall, "MewTwo kids rule!"
Max Thorn lets Nootaikok out, anyway. The vulpix's nose wrinkles, though he's soon exploring the area.
Ghost: "Mommy never gave me a name, and then she took my body."
Max Thorn: "Would you like a name?"
There is a muted thump from behind the screen. "I want my body back! Make mommy give me my body!"
Linnea: "… … ."
Esme: "Hrm."
Sam Spade: "Is it okay if I come around the screen?"
Nootaikok soon finds, in the next room over, the almost rotted away remnants of pokemon chow long past its expiration date.
Max Thorn: "I can't give you *your* body, but…I could give you *a* body, maybe."
The ghost just makes another thump in response to Sam.
Linnea: "I-I'm not volunteering!"
Sam Spade: "Please?"
Ghost: "I want MY body back!"
Nootaikok sneezes, then explores some more.
The voice does not seem to be acknowledging Sam's request.
Max Thorn: "I know you do, and I'd be happy to give you your body back if I could. But…do you see the Amodan vulpix I brought with me?"
Sam Spade hesitates, her memory pushing over possibilities. One comes to her, and she bites her lip and steps around the screen.
Max Thorn checks on the booting computer to see if it's finished.
Behind the screen, Sam finds an amber orb, almost as tall as she is, mounted on some jury-rigged platform with thick bundles of wires streaming out into the walls. Inside the orb appears to be a girl - at a glance, she looks like she could be Petri's daughter - clad only in a simple black dress with white lace frills. This dress lags just behind the girl's movements as she looks at Sam; apparently it is a projection to preserve the girl's modesty.
The girl's face is permanently tear-streaked. One eye appears covered in mascara - not a bruise, but makeup - and the way the dress hangs on her suggests emaciation.
Sam Spade frowns, then plops down to sit.
Sam Spade: "Okay, that's…not what I was afraid of."
Sam Spade: "…Huh."
The girl thumps on the orb's surface with one fist. "Where's my mommy?"
Sam Spade: "South. She left when the tanks came in."
Sam Spade: "Do you know what she did with your body?"
As Max looks, the computer finally finishes booting up - with several disk and memory errors leading to aborting the graphical user interface, but Max at least has a command prompt.
Ghost: "She took it! And wouldn't give it back!"
Linnea: "…and what if we can't find it?"
Max Thorn gets to pulling up whatever information he can, both about the war and its aftermath, and regarding the lab's experiments.
Max finds most of the disk has been corrupted, but he can pull up a few log entries.
Ghost: "My mommy has my body! Find her and you'll find it."
Linnea: "Wait."
Linnea: "WAIT."
Linnea: "… …"
Linnea: "Horrifying realization time."
Sam Spade: "It's not impossible, no."
Linnea: "Maybe the person that sent us here…WAS your body?"
The girl nods. "Mommy took my body."
Esme perks.
Linnea: "So she literally…and…"
Sam Spade: "Hmm."
Esme: "That's why she laughed!"
Sam Spade: "This is gonna be tricky, huh."
Linnea: "Fascinating…and utterly revolting."
Max Thorn flips open his pokedex and takes notes from the log entries.
Nootaikok comes across a coffin, inscribed with "Mark 1" .
Esme: "Hmm. I guess some advanced soul-transfer technique or something? We could probably punt her out of there."
Max Thorn: "Would you be willing to use a different body until we could reunite you with your mother?"
The girl frowns. "Take someone else's body?"
Nootaikok sniffs around the coffin, then barks. It comes out basically sounding like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W9xKvQl2CQ
She balls both fists and trembles a bit, occasionally glitching a shoulder past her projected gown.
Max Thorn: "Yes. Temporarily."
Ghost: "Unfair! Make mommy give MY body back! Don't take someone else's body!"
Linnea: "But…we don't have your mother OR your body here."
Linnea: "If someone would willingly cohabi- er, share bodies…"
Max Thorn headtilts. "But…what if the body's owner invites you in? Would that be okay?"
Esme: "She's in that orb, couldn't we just put her in something else?"
[OOC] WC GM: Is anyone checking the coffin or Nootaikok?
The girl shakes her head. "Take body. Can't share."
Linnea goes to check the coffin as she speaks, since Nootaikok is raising a racket.
The coffin looks a bit makeshift, but has none of the environmental damage the walls have. It was clearly assembled after the invasion.
Nootaikok stops barking and wags, looking pleased with himself, once Linnea comes over to the coffin.
Esme: "…Though given it seems to be /all/ of her in there a suitable vessel may be hard to find."
[OOC] WC GM: Opening it?
Linnea peers at the coffin, running her hands along the vessel BEFORE opening it. Maybe something can be sensed within?
[OOC] Linnea: Can I make an occult check?
[OOC] Linnea: not opening it just yet
[OOC] WC GM: No need for a check: this kind of thing is autopass for your skills.
No life can be sensed within, though Linnea's nose gets a distinct earthy smell. The impression is…somewhere between a dead tree and a boulder.
Linnea: "Nothing THAT unusual I can sense in here, so…"
Max Thorn: "Would an unoccupied body be okay, then?"
The girl tilts her head at Max, apparently not understanding.
Linnea cautiously lifts the lid, peering down into the coffin.
Max Thorn: "I'm trying to figure out how we can transport you to your mother without worrying about maintaining power to that sphere you're in."
At first it looks like the coffin has a human body after all - but no, this is all minerals and stone, like a fossilized human. It takes Linnea a moment to realize this resembles an old, withered…petrified Petri.
Linnea: "… oooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii."
Max Thorn: "…Do I want to know, Linnea? Or is this going to be another one of those instances where I'm going to be utilizing barracks language for ten minutes straight?"
Linnea: "Yes and yes."
Max Thorn sighs.
Linnea: "It's a petri-Petri."
Sam Spade: "Encouraging."
Sam Spade: "Wait, what?"
Max Thorn: "Let me guess: the mother's occupying the daughter's body."
Linnea: "YEAH."
Linnea: "This is what I was getting at in the first place."
Linnea: "Ain't that some shit?"
Max Thorn: "Welp. I'd be in favor of wringing her neck, but I kinda want to let her daughter have her body back."
Linnea: "Yeah."
Sam Spade: "Agreed!"
Linnea: "Thing is? She may be even older than we thought. This is Mark 1."
[OOC] Max Thorn: So what all did I get out of the log entries, anyway?
[OOC] WC GM: Typing them up.
Linnea: "Meaning she'd have to have lived out the original body… Mark 0, if you will."
Max Thorn: "Well, ask Nootaikok to help you find more."
Linnea turns to Noota. "You hear that? It's time for detective work."
Sam Spade hears Linnea's words and rises back to her feet.
Nootaikok lets out a cheerful bark, then goes sniffing around for more, wagging cheerfully.
Sam Spade: "Noisless, can you go looking for Petri-shapes?"
Noiseless darts to the air.
The one coffin is the only one present, unfortunately. Max's pokedex beeps as it registers cleaning up the first batch of log entries, then starts on the rest.
Log Entry: "…as much child rearing as pokemon science. MewTwos must be raised in harmony with a child, so we have engineered kids to grow up with their partners…"
Log Entry: "…same technology I used to make my daughter. Too busy with work to have a family, they said…"
Log Entry: "…Amodans don't realize we're doing this for world peace. Of course we'll protect them! We share this small continent; they're our other halves. They don't agree…"
Log Entry: "…still don't know how any of us survived. But we're trapped here. Of the children, only Timothy lives, and even he only because his MewTwo is keeping him…"
Log Entry: "…lost control, it seems. The raidertanks, as we've started to call them, apparently went feral. Scouts say there's a mega evolved one - probably just some larger manufactured unit…"
Sam Spade looks over the coffin.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Are there any ways to have connected it with the orb?
[OOC] WC GM: That will take some checks, though you have no idea if the remnants within can be animated.
Sam Spade: "Esme, do you think maybe Petri had this hooked up with her daughter?"
Sam sees signs that the minerals spread over a long time - certainly more years ago than the war.
Esme: "What, the coffin thing?"
Max Thorn hmms. "Well. One thing gleaned so far; the mewtwos have to be raised alongside kids. I think this lab's where they originated."
Esme gives it a once-over.
Sam Spade: "Always nice to have confirmation."
Linnea: "That explains the psychic refuse…"
Sam Spade: "…That, and there's the fact that Petri's daughter doesn't have a name."
Max's pokedex beeps with the second set of log entries ready:
Log Entry: "…made him a son. I worry, though: he's like a puppet. How much of him is left, or is he just his MewTwo's…"
Log Entry: "…split. Instead of Timothy, he just goes by Moth now. His son is Tim…"
Log Entry: "…rallying for revenge. I'm keeping the lights on here, but if he thinks he can get the survivors…"
Log Entry: "…'Team Jaeger'. I'll admit it fits: we've been fighting monsters long enough…"
Sam Spade: "I don't know if that's because she's currently a ghost and something mystic about being a ghost means you don't know your own name - or if it's because Petri either had, or made, a daughter for the purpose of stealing her body and thus never bothered to give her a name."
Esme frowns and casts a knowing glance at Sam. "If this was her plan, why would she?"
Sam Spade: "Yeah."
Esme stands. "Nothing here. Just a box."
Sam Spade: "Great."
Esme: "Given the facilities…" She rubs her chin. "She probably used one of the cloning vats for it."
Esme: "Maybe get lucky and find one of those intact?"
Sam Spade listens to the log entries.
Max Thorn: "… Huh. *That's* interesting." He relays the first two entries from the second batch.
Another batch of entries finishes even as Max reads.
Log Entry: "…got out, but he left us trapped here. We're safe under the defenses for now…"
Log Entry: "…mistake. I shouldn't have brought a child into this world. I won't live to see her grow up, not with my condition…"
Log Entry: "…make it right. She won't have to grow up in this ruined world. I'll take the burden…"
Log Entry: "…done, though it broke our last cloning machine. I never did get around to naming her…"
Esme: "Ah."
Max Thorn: "That explains /that/. Hmm."
Sam Spade: "Mmm. So the answer is better than the one I'd thought. Insane and evil, but not malicious."
Max Thorn: "Dunno about 'not malicious'."
Esme: "Condition, huh."
Sam Spade: "Malicious would be done with the intent to hurt. This was intended to not hurt, but was stupid and hurt anyway, because insane."
Sam Spade: "So still evil."
Sam Spade: "Probably the Petri-fication?"
Max Thorn: "Wish I had more computing power than this; would be interesting if we could recover more information on Petri."
Esme: "Maybe can help with that." She releases Lucrece. How's that disk digestion coming along?
Max Thorn checks. Any more log entry fragments to recover, or was that the last of them?
The final set of log entries come up.
Log Entry: "…still around?!? Impossible, and yet I still hear her…"
Log Entry: "…a machine to trap her. My daughter, still with me, but she's upset…"
Log Entry: "…say she's not human. Well of course she's not human, she's a ghost! But they say the readings…"
Log Entry: "…won't hear of it. You don't argue that much in a survival situation. Now they won't argue…"
Log Entry: "…keeps asking for her body back, so I put up a screen with sound dampening…"
Log Entry: "…other colonies say the raidertanks have learned to phase through. Those who are left here insist on evacuating…"
Log Entry: "…can't take it with us. And they still insist that's not her. They're trying to pull me away so they can evac-AUTOSAVED-"
Max Thorn: "…"
Max Thorn: "Oh…kay. Going to turn it over to you, Esme. I have some cursing to do."
Esme: "Hrm."
Max Thorn finds an empty room to do that in. It…takes a while.
Lucrece comes out of pokeball…different. Upgraded.
Esme: "Oh! I'm half surprised that worked."
Esme holds her pokedex up near the orb. Definitely not a pokemon, right?
Pokedex: "Rotom. Its body is composed of plasma. It is known to infiltrate electronic devices and wreak havoc."
The girl pauses, then sweatdrops.
Esme: "Huh. Both wrong and right."
Sam Spade: "…Um."
Ghost: "Make mommy…give body back?"
Sam Spade: "…Rotoms can talk?"
Sam Spade: "I don't remember Patton talking…"
Esme: "By themselves, typically no."
Sam Spade: "Mmm."
[OOC] WC GM: If Esme or anyone else is checking the orb, Tech Ed check.
Max Thorn returns just as he hears this. "Give them a speech synthesizer, they'll talk just fine."
Esme: "But if they have control of some electronics, they can usually use its functions…"
Max Thorn goes to inspect the orb now.
Sam Spade: "Ah."
Max Thorn rolled up 5d6: 16 (3 5 3 3 2) (tech ed!)
It is exactly as Max theorized.
Max Thorn: "I think we're gonna need a drone."
Linnea is still poking around with Noota, investigating any further coffin-like objecterie and taking notes.
Sam Spade sighs.
Ghost: "No! My body back! Not drone! Want help friends! Need my body to help friends!"
Sam Spade: "Which friends?"
Ghost: "Friends! Outside! Can't come in because blasty!"
Esme: "Theeeere we go."
Sam Spade: "Yeah."
Max Thorn: "That answers that."
Esme: "So not as bad as we thought!"
Esme: "Still pretty out there, but I'll take it."
Sam Spade: "Well."
Max Thorn: "Still going to have to talk to Petri about what we found, but there won't be any wringing of necks required."
The girl thumps the orb's surface again. "Mommy took body! New friends took me in, sent me back! Please make mommy give body back!"
Sam Spade: "…We might have missed something on the logs, but it still definitely sounds like Petri took her daughter's body…though since it turns out our witness was an enemy infiltrator…"
Max Thorn: "I have to wonder if the girl she talked about is still in there somewhere."
Sam Spade: "…Unless Petri's daughter turned into a Rotom when she…died?"
Sam Spade: "…Is that possible?"
The girl nods.
Esme: "Oh, absolutely."
Sam Spade: "Uhuh."
Esme: "Remember, slow inevitable crawl towards the end, then ghost is the weird after-end stuff."
Sam Spade: "Mmm."
Max Thorn: "Anyway, let's see what Lucrece can dig up."
Ghost: "New friends took me! Took everyone dead! Kept us around! Made many many bodies, but sent me to get my body back."
Sam Spade: "Ohhhhhh crap."
Esme: "Hrm. That explains how they keep multiplying."
Sam Spade: "Yeah. Vicious cycle."
Max Thorn: "…So /that's/ how they reproduced. And I think the Mega version's taken the role of 'mother' for 'em."
Sam Spade: "Raidertanks kill, then the new ghosts go into raidertank bodies."
Esme: "Don't like that. Lucluc! See if you can get anything more out of the servers?"
Lucrece whirrs and bubbles, before half-phasing/half-seeping (so gooey!) into the active console.
Max Thorn: "…That is kind of unsettling, Esme."
The computer whines and shakes under the intense inspection.
[OOC] WC GM: Max's pokedex is still hooked up for file transfer, right?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Yes.
A dossier file soon crops up with Moth's face. "Name: Timothy (UNRECOVERABLE)/Aliases: Ten, Moth/Occupation: MewTwo Partner, Team Jaeger Leader/Status: Presumed Alive"
Max Thorn looks it over.
File: "Notes: The last survivor of our MewTwo program, and now our last, best hope. Having somehow taken over Fort Blaston - with Gaelan help, reportedly - he is rallying the colonies, one by one, to emigrate to Amoda. Under his leadership Dojji may yet survive."
[OOC] Sam Spade: With Gaelan help from Iggy?
File: "Medical notes: Mortally wounded in the war. Took a bullet that would have caused fatal psychic backlash had it landed in his MewTwo. Only survives with constant psychic input from his MewTwo. DO NOT attempt to encourage him to reball his MewTwo; the result would be fatal."
Max Thorn: "…well, that'd be one way to settle that, if we were so inclined. Not sure it's necessary yet, though."
File: "Observational notes: Bears a grudge toward those who manufactured that bullet. Psychic readings suggest his mind and soul may have decayed until his body is a mere puppet. The medical examiners are only required to test whether his body is biologically alive."
Sam Spade leans against the tank with the orb in it and sighs.
Another file comes up, showing a section of desert cliff, with someone leaning onto a mostly-invisible wall coming up out of the cliff, causing visible ripples and gently glowing blue-white lines to appear in the wall - presumably for the benefit of the picture.
Max Thorn: "All right, so I think our next goal, after we get everything out of the computers that we can, will be to locate the megatank and try to engage with it. We will probably need this rotom for that."
File: "Theories conflict about the Weather Wards, as they have come to be known. Obviously, current conditions preclude the kind of extensive testing needed to confirm our hypotheses, but best evidence suggests they are being maintained by someone or something in Dojji. Since they were first reported shortly after the invasion, Mega Raidertank is the obvious and popular suggestion."
File: "What is known, is that they prevent weather and pokemon - including raidertanks - from crossing. Lugia and her birds have been reported several times trying to break through, without success. Dojji beyond the wards has been eroded away, until - so far as we can tell - only the portion within the wards now remains."
Max Thorn: "I'm kinda curious, though, as to whose ghost might be in the megatank."
File: "Humans, technology not possessed by rotoms, and inanimate things can pass through. It is even possible to smuggle pokemon out while they are inside pokeballs, as discovered by accident while trying to capture raidertanks."
File: "As a personal note, I find the video of that raidertank poppnig out of its ball only to find itself above water endlessly rewatchable. It helps me calm down every time they've taken another of my friends."
File: "Addendum: catching and releasing a raidertank into the wall shunts it fully inside or out, depending on the center point of the release."
File: "Addendum: Apricot Colony just left. I guess we're out of that option to remove raidertanks."
The computer begins emitting smoke. The monitor and indicator lights shut off.
Max Thorn: "See if you can figure out how to shut down the defenses without actually doing so. We'll have to fight our way out after that, but…"
Max Thorn: "…welp."
Esme: "Whoops. Luc, get out here." The blobbygon complies, though ever so slightly singed. "Good job you!"
Sam Spade: "Is it worth it?"
Max Thorn: "Maybe the defenses going down will distract them long enough for us to get out."
Sam Spade: "Keeping the raidertanks tied up for a bit doesn't sound like a bad thing."
Esme: "Well maybe if we let them down, we can also convince…" She peeks over at the orb. "…Her to convince them not to shoot us?"
Max Thorn: "That's part of what I was thinking, yeah."
Ghost: "Mommy…not here? Mommy got past friends?"
Max Thorn: "Not here, no."
The girl grimaces. "Mommy…left. Mommy took body far away. ARRRRRGH!" She POUNDS the orb, which finally reacts to her.
The orb topples, to and fro, then pops out of its socket and clunks to the floor.
The girl blinks at this, then smiles with evil eyes at the party. She punches the orb again, sending it rolling with clear intent to smash.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License