Session 4

The first day on Route 1 is mostly uneventful. The road is long but straight. Occasionally pokemon are seen off the road, but quickly scurry away once spotted.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Any particular theme to 'em?
[OOC] WC GM: Low level, no evolved forms that you see.
[OOC] WC GM: Without fail, normal type or dual type including normal.
The wind picks up as you ascend toward the tunnel through the mountain wall ahead.
Anna Tomize shivers.
Anna Tomize: "Brr.."
Anna Tomize: "I-Ice..c-caves?"
SamanthaSpade goes so far as to button up her trenchcoat.
Esme: "No, Ice Cove."
Esme: "But we'll probably pass through a cave or two, on the way."
Max Thorn 's fine for now, his coat is a very light windbreaker.
Jack's teeth start chattering
Grass ripples in waves. There is a clear patch next to the tunnel entrance, with signs of a well used campground. And sure enough, the sun is setting as you reach the area.
Jack Layfield: Turns out shorts and a t-shirt were wrong for this weather.
Max Thorn: "…You had time to grab warmer clothing. Why didn't you?"
Tim: "The map says this tunnel will take aaall day to cross. We should stop here for the night."
Max Thorn , in the meantime, breaks out and sets up the tent he grabbed.
SamanthaSpade surveys the campground.
No one else is present. Looks like none of the other trainer groups set out with you - or if they did, they picked other routes.
SamanthaSpade: "Huh. Looks like we're the only group who decided to go to Ice Cove first."
SamanthaSpade: "…Do they know something we don't?"
Esme: "Well, nobody else had beaten the Gym, remember?"
Esme: "We get a head start, yes."
Jack Layfield: "C-c-c-oooooold…."
Tim: "We-e-ell…I don't think the groups that didn't get the badge will leave town until they do. That's…what, half of them?"
Max Thorn: "Nah, some of 'em got badges."
Max Thorn: "I think they decided Sky City was the way to go, though. Don't blame 'em."
Jack Layfield: "Why-y-y so cooooooooold…"
SamanthaSpade: "Yeah. I wish I thought that was an option, but I'd rather not put Malta in harm's way again."
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Jack has pathetic in survival guys. He is an urban dude.
Max Thorn: "In the meantime…" Max looks around for a stash of wood.
Tim looks at Jack, hugging himself. "You too? Try to move around, and stay warm."
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: So does Sam =D
Max Thorn: "…Jack and Tim, inside my tent. At least then you'll be out of the wind."
[OOC] WC GM: Tim is…not pathetic in survival.
Tim hurries into the tent!
Max Thorn: "Sam, too."
Jack Layfield: "Th-thank you…"
SamanthaSpade: "Um. You sure? I…don't know what I can do to help, but I'd like to try."
[OOC] Max Thorn: *is* there a stock of pre-chopped wood ready to hand?
Jack dashes into the tent, Sandy popping out of her pokeball as soon as he ducks his head in.
Max Thorn: "Malta'd be useful, at least; once I have wood ready, he can start the campfire."
While there is no pre-chopped wood around, there is a stand of trees, from which branches can be harvested. Several branch stumps, especially around the base of the trees, suggest this is what they were planted for.
SamanthaSpade: "Malta, you good with that?"
Max Thorn sorts through the trees for dead wood and removes those branches carefully.
Malta cheeps, then cheeps viciously, then hops around excitedly on Sam's shoulder.
Max Thorn: "…Adorable little pyro, there."
Max quickly finds enough wood for enough campfire for the group.
Max Thorn rolled up 3d6: 12 (12) (Survival to get the campfire going quickly.)
[OOC] WC GM: Not needed: that's what Malta is for.
Esme sets up another of the tents. "Is not that cold yet, only a little chilly." She pulls out her dowsing rods. "Going to scout the area a bit before it gets too dark. Call if you need something, yes?"
There are a few stone circles with ashes, designated campfire areas.
[OOC] Max Thorn: For ignition, yes. For getting the wood prepared and whatnot, not necessarily.
Max Thorn: "Go for it."
[OOC] Esme: Everyone knows you Tackle wood until it's good for fire
Max Thorn gets the wood for the fire situated just so. "Okay, Malta, time to light up."
[OOC] WC GM: I thought you Tackled wood to get wood blocks to build stuff from. :P
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: To be fair, that's all Malta can do anyway. She's Normal/Flying until she evolves.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Heehee.
Jack Layfield: "Fire, radical."
Malta hops down and starts pecking at the wood!
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Unless WC rules otherwise?
[OOC] WC GM: Go for it.
Anna Tomize: "…I-I dun wanna go in."
Anna Tomize pouts.
Anna Tomize: "Ish too cold."
Tim: "We don't have to until tomorrow." He begins digging out the night's food.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Sam, being Pathetic Survival AND Pathetic PokeEd, would have noooo idea~~
Max Thorn: "We'll be fine once we're out of the wind, Anna."
Max Thorn coaches Malta through the process, and then…is that smoke? and then a campfire?
Anna Tomize makes a sad sound somewhat reminiscent of a dog whine.
[OOC] Esme: In any case, gonna double dowse around this cave entrance
Malta cheeps and squeaks excitedly, flapping just enough air to ensure that the fire is well fed!
[OOC] WC GM: Orange Shards again, if you find any.
SamanthaSpade: "That was amazing, Malta!"
Esme rolled up 5#1d6: 5 3 6 2 3 (19)
Esme rolled up 1d6: 4 (4)
Esme rolled up 5#1d6: 3 3 4 6 4 (20)
Esme rolled up 1d6: 3 (3)
Max Thorn: "Good work." Max tends the fire just enough to make sure it's self-sustaining, then gets the other tents out and up.
[OOC] Esme: 6 Orangemobiles
Esme returns to the camp with an armful of orange shards! "Much better than the beach!"
Jack cautiously emerges from the tent, Sandy dashes out between his legs, bowling him over.
Max Thorn looks around for some boulders or chairs or so to use as seating 'round the campfire.
Jack Layfield: "Aagh so unexxtreme!"
Max finds no boulders or chairs. The camp site seems to specifically have been cleared of the former, and none of the latter were provided.
[OOC] Max Thorn: No logs, either?
Sandile: "Sandile, sand!" Sandy runs around the fire, circling it and yelping at Malta.
Anna Tomize leans over Esme's shoulder and blinks.
Esme sits down next to the campfire, pruning over her bou-AHH IT'S ANNA.
Anna Tomize: "Crystyls….?"
Esme: "Ah… yes? Ah! Yes!"
Anna Tomize: "Hallo!"
Anna Tomize: "Wut are dey fer?"
[OOC] WC GM: No big logs. Some lazy bums must have used them for firewood.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Is this better to read?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Works, yes. Thanks again.
Jack lays in a heap by the fire, feeling sorry for himself. "The great outdoors so totally suck."
Esme: "Shards, to be more specific. They have various occu-well, elemental properties. Part of my research."
Max Thorn: "…Great. Some lazy jerk used the seat-logs for firewood."
Max does find depressions where logs may have once been.
SamanthaSpade: "What? How am I supposed to look awesome sitting on the ground?"
Esme: "It's quite easy, once you know how."
Max Thorn: "I don't suppose Sandy or Sands could scrounge up some boulders…?"
Tim pokes his head out of the tent. "Did someone mess up the campground?"
Max Thorn: "Yup. No logs for sitting on."
Tim: "Sands, think you can dig up some boulders?"
Sands shrugs and burrows into the ground.
Tim: "…he'll try."
Sandy, through pestering Malta, wanders over to Jack and plops herself down on his chest.
Jack Layfield: "Not cooooool."
Max Thorn gets dinner started, in the meantime. Soon enough, sausages are cooking over the flames.
Esme cracks open a pokeball, releasing Gervais. "Gervy, help them find some stuff to sit on."
Gervais: "Nido…" He seems like he'd rather be asleep, but complies, tunneling down after the Sandshrew.
Anna Tomize leans in even closer.
Esme finds herself thrust up suddenly - a small, wide boulder, just enough for 3 to sit on, has been thrust up underneath her.
Jack Layfield: "Come on Sandy, dig with them."
Anna Tomize: "Occult…?"
This naturally causes Esme to be thrust up into Anna.
Sandile shakes her head. "Saaaaaaandile."
Anna Tomize: "Myeep!"
Anna Tomize grips Esme tightly to keep her balance.
…soft… "
Esme: "Ah-"
Jack Layfield: "Sandy seems to think her mad skillz are only for battling."
Two other such boulders surface over the next few minutes, before Gervais and Sands return.
Esme slowly, but firmly, pushes Anna back a bit.
Anna Tomize: "W-wawawawa, s-sorry…"
Max Thorn: "It's fine, Jack. Good work, Gervy and Sands."
Jack picks up Sandy and carries her over to one of the boulders.
SamanthaSpade: "Yeah! That was awesome. Thanks!"
Esme: "It is qu'est-ce que c'est…alright, boulders were involved."
SamanthaSpade plops down on the last boulder.
Esme: "But ah, right, shards. I try to avoid the 'o' word, as it seems to draw undue attention. Though, it is the right word, yes."
Tim tilts his head at Esme.
Anna Tomize: "Ooh. A-are the…thingies, umm…"
Anna Tomize: "Wavvy?"
Tim: "What sort of attention?"
Anna Tomize picks one up and looks at Tim through it.
Max Thorn distributes the food once it's done cooking. There's ketchup, mustard, and prepackaged diced onions, relish, and other condiments available, too.
Esme tilts her head backwards, looking at Tim. "The bad kind."
Jack Layfield: "Something about hocus pocus mumbo jumbo. I don't understand any of it."
Esme shakes her head. "This is normal!"
Anna Tomize: "Jaggy attenshun?"
SamanthaSpade takes some food and eats hungrily.
SamanthaSpade: "Huh. This stuff is really good! What's in it, Max?"
Tim just shrugs and begins eating.
Jack Layfield: "Nah, normal is cars and machines and elbow grease you work with your hands. Shards are weird."
Max Thorn: "Beats me, I just grabbed whatever looked good at the PokéMart."
Esme: "No no, I mean not understanding is normal! But shards are also normal. Well, these are normal-type, anyway."
Jack snags a sausage and layers it with a tower of condiments.
Esme gets in on this food before it all disappears.
SamanthaSpade: "Oh. Huh. I don't remember PokeMart food being this tasty. You must be a good cook. Thanks for doing all this, Max!"
Tim: "You means *nomf* shere're *nom* *gulp* poison type an' steel type shards too?"
Anna Tomize: "A-are dere ground type c-cards?"
Max Thorn looks pleased. "Thanks, but it all came in a box." He holds up the box. "Evening Campfire Meal: Sausage" , it reads.
Esme: "Well…" She rolls her shoulders, as though weighing whether to answer Tim's question. "Most shards have an affinity for more than one. Like these orange are normal, the fighty types and…ah, dragon! So yes, of course there are ones for poison, and the other types as well."
Jack Layfield: "The Slyph corporation thinks of everything dude."
Esme beams a little. There have been few topics she could weigh in, since she made it to the city.
SamanthaSpade: "Huh. Fair enough."
Tim: "Ah." He then looks to Max. "I heard they stock borscht for travelers in Ice Cove. I've never had borscht before."
Esme: "Borscht?"
Anna Tomize: "Snausage?"
Anna Tomize starts beaming.
Max Thorn: "Borscht is just a tart vegetable soup."
Tim: "Oooh. So it's soup. Okay."
Anna Tomize: "But…snausage…"
Anna Tomize looks crestfallen.
Tim: "Aww, don't worry, I'm sure they've got sausages too!"
Jack Layfield: "We just had sausage, Variety is the extreme spice of life."
Anna Tomize: "But…g-ground meat…"
[OOC] WC GM: Let me know when you want to move on to the next morning.
Max Thorn: "Sausage is ground meat in casing, Anna."
Max Thorn: "…In the old days they used cleaned-out intestines."
Anna Tomize: "Nooo."
Anna Tomize: "Ish salt too…"
Esme bundles up her shards in a cloth, placing them in her bag.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Move on I think
Anna Tomize gets a kind of a dazed look on her face.
Anna Tomize: "…mmm…"
The campground proves to be structured to make it especially easy to keep any wild pokemon from approaching unannounced. The party's sleep is undisturbed.
Morning announces itself in its typical visual way, by sunlight beaming over the horizon. For at least some of the party, this is the first dawn they have personally witnessed.
SamanthaSpade tried not to witness it, but Malta's excitement prevents that.
Jack Layfield: "Woah, Sunrises actually are that pretty."
SamanthaSpade: "Quit jumping on my head, you silly bird!"
Max Thorn 's already up and cooking breakfast. This time, however, he got an iron grate out so he could do eggs, bacon, gravy, and travel-biscuits.
Sandy is out and about chasing other pokemon in circles.
SamanthaSpade: "….Well, at least what Max is cooking smells like it's worth getting up for."
Max Thorn: "Jack and Sam, how do you like your eggs?"
Jack Layfield: "Over easy brah."
SamanthaSpade: "Whatever's easiest, really."
There is also a kettle that smells suspiciously like coffee.
Esme pokes her head out, rising with a stretch. Gervais sleepily trudges out. They shake themselves awake in unison.
Anna Tomize rolls over in her sleeping bag. Meeps starts headprodding her to get up.
Anna Tomize: "10 moor minutesss…"
Max Thorn slides Jack's eggs onto a plate, then cracks the next pair for Sam. Everything else is self-serve.
Jack Layfield: "Sweet, eggs. You know, the best part of this is we have a chance to catch some ice-type pokemon. That'll be awesome."
Sandy nabs one of Jack's eggs before he can eat it.
Esme grabs a biscuit, breaking off half of it for Gervais. She nods to Max "Merci."
Jack Layfield: "Ack, why you little…."
Sandile: "Sandile! San- San-san!"
Esme: "I am not too familiar with Ice types, so anything we come across would be interesting!"
Sandile scurries up Jack's back and hops atop his head, avoiding his reaching arms.
Tim has grabbed the biggest biscuit, and is trying to get his mouth around it. Sands helpfully nibbles the edges so Tim can manage it.
Jack Layfield: "Dang."
SamanthaSpade munches contentedly, ignoring the fact that Malta is doing so as well.
[OOC] WC GM: Normal training hour before heading into the tunnel, I assume?
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: That'd be the best plan, yeh
[OOC] Esme: Word
Max Thorn slides the remainder onto his own plate and starts packing up again. He drafts whoever looks bored.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Yesh.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Yeah, agility training plus speed as trained stat for sandile, jack trains attack and speed with athlete
Anna Tomize stands up and faces Meeps down, preparing to assert herself.
Anna Tomize: "M-Meeps…s-sit!"
[OOC] WC GM: Alright. Esme, you'll want to do one of your daily douses here, I suspect.
[OOC] Esme: if only I had Novice Command, Gervais would be 9 and get double kick :(; Also, yes
[OOC] WC GM: If not both.
SamanthaSpade heads away from camp a little, working with Malta on picking targets.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Agility Training with Antheia.
The Mareep starts prodding her about. Anna takes a step backwards and trips, falling down on her butt.
Jack and Sandy go jogging, with the occasional sprint.
Esme does her usual Focus Training with Gervy in the morning, before doing another round at the campsite before they head out.
Meeps feels accomplished. (Inspired training)
Tim tries to help Max pack up, but Sands keeps digging holes to try to drag Tim in - until Tim scolds Sands for messing up the campsite. Sands gets to patching the holes.
Esme rolled up 5#1d6: 3 1 5 3 1 (13)
Esme rolled up 5#1d6: 2 2 5 4 2 (15)
[OOC] Esme: Tres
Once training and packing are done, the tunnel awaits! It is…a fairly long tunnel, with old but still-working electric lights every so often. A bit of examination shows hidden solar panels at the tunnel entrance, presumably ferrying power to the lights.
Even from out here, the occasional squeaks of zubats can be heard.
Jack Layfield: "Oh man, I could catch a zubat, they're radically fast."
Esme perks, then remembers she forgot to get pokeballs anyway.
SamanthaSpade: "Huh. It's not any warmer than it was outside, but the cold's not nearly as biting. That wind really did make a difference."
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Didn't we get given pokeballs?
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: No, but Max is a pokeball expert and can make them on the cheap.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: And I believe he did offer.
[OOC] WC GM: But there are no materials for it yet.
[OOC] WC GM: You can get them in Ice Cove.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Oh well, I bought some in character gen anyway
[OOC] Esme: You've got the touch, you've got the power
Max Thorn keeps an eye out for the materials for making pokéballs, of course.
[OOC] WC GM: Perception check, Jack and Max.
Max Thorn rolled up 2d6: 5 (5) (Perception)
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d6: 4 (4) (perception)
Max knows these mountains are rich in the metals used to make pokeball mechanisms, among many other things. Unfortunately, he does not spy open veins of metal.
Tim: "Umm…Jack?"
Jack Layfield: "What kiddo?"
Tim: "Why is there a zubat on the back of your neck?"
Wild zubat gets surprise round! Wild zubat uses Supersonic!
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Ah, apparently I am going to have a surprise visit at 4:00 and need to go. >_<
[OOC] WC GM: That's alright.
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 16 (16)
Jack's ears are ringing!
[OOC] WC GM: Jack, your turn!
Jack Layfield: "AUGH, UNCOOL!"
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Later, Lauren~
[OOC] Esme: Holla
[OOC] WC GM: And after Jack, any other trainer that wishes to participate.
Jack throws Sandy's pokeball. "Sandy, Get out and halp!)
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: I'm in~
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: This is a full-contact fight, right?
[OOC] WC GM: Right.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Okay, just making sure~
[OOC] WC GM: The zubat doesn't even have a concept of things like the League.
Max Thorn: "I've got pokéballs if you need them."
SamanthaSpade: "Malta, stay out of it, Jack was saying he wanted a Zubat friend."
Esme: "He /did/ call it…"
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Should I go? Was Jack choosing Sandy his turn?
[OOC] WC GM: Sounds like.
Jack Layfield: "Stop criticizing me and Heeeeeeeeeeelp!"
[OOC] Jack Layfield: could I do more?
[OOC] WC GM: Roll to shake off Confusion.
SamanthaSpade: "Alright. Hey, Zubat, I have a secret for you!"
SamanthaSpade whispers something to the Zubat that no one else can hear. Samantha used Confide!
SamanthaSpade rolled up 1d20: 4 (4) (vs AC 2)
[OOC] Esme: Releasing a pokemon is a Shift action, so in theory he'd have another turn
[OOC] Esme: See: page 229
Anna Tomize sits back and watches the Zubat.
Anna Tomize: "Wavs…"
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Ick. Chessa does not like Samantha.
Jack Layfield: . roll 1d20 ; Confusion
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 9 (9) (Confusion)
[OOC] Esme: Yay act normally
The zubat flutters away, considering it. Does this zubat understand words? No, it must have been the tone…
Jack flails and smacks at the zubat.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: -1 Combat Stage to Special Attack.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Jack uses strength!
[OOC] WC GM: Roll the attack.
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 10 (10) (ac 2)
[OOC] WC GM: Hit, roll damage.
[OOC] Esme: Remember, just like in the games, you can't capture it if it faints!
Jack Layfield: ,roll 2d8+17 ; damage
[OOC] Esme: . instead of ,
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d8+17: 26 (26) (damage)
The zubat wings away erratically, clearly impacted.
[OOC] WC GM: And now any of the party's pokemon that wish to participate.
[OOC] WC GM: Sandy! And is there anyone else?
[OOC] Esme: Nooope
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Meeps is usually just hanging out of its ball
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: No, Malta is keeping clear. No point in everyone ganging up on it.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Is anyone gonna try to catch this or should Meeps just blast it?
[OOC] WC GM: Jack's presumably going to try to catch it.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Then yeah I'ma stay back
[OOC] WC GM: Alright, Sandy's action then.
Sandy leaps forward to defend her doofy flailing trainer.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Sandy uses bite
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 1 (1) (ac 2)
Sandy bites thin air!
[OOC] Jack Layfield: YOU HAD ONE JOB SANDY
The zubat tries to bite as well, but aims for Jack's neck!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 9 (9)
SamanthaSpade: "Max? What are his chances of capturing the Zubat?"
WC GM rolled up 1d6+6: 12 (12)
[OOC] WC GM: 5 HP damage to Jack
Zubat looks a very slightly bit better. That must have been Leech Life.
[OOC] WC GM: Jack's turn!
Jack Layfield: "OW THAT HURT!!!!!"
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 7 (7) (confusion)
Jack hurts himself in confusion
[OOC] Esme: bonk
[OOC] WC GM: …Sam's turn, then.
[OOC] Esme: resisted struggle attack on self
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d8+13 : 14 (14)
SamanthaSpade: "C'mon, little Zubat, don't be like that!"
[OOC] Esme: 3 HP dollaz
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Swift action: Manipulate Maneuver. Attempting Charm.
SamanthaSpade rolled up 1d20: 13 (13) (vs AC 2.)
[OOC] WC GM: Hits
SamanthaSpade rolled up 4d6: 15 (15) (Charm check vs Charm/Focus.)
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Eh. Best case, not as useful as I'd hoped. It automatically fails its save but it loses the Infatuated condition next round, and only doesn't attack me, not Jack. =/
The zubat flutters off, blinking, confused in its own way.
[OOC] WC GM: Sandy!
Jack Layfield: Sandy leaps on the attack undeterred.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Sandile uses bite
Jack Layfield rolled up 1d20: 8 (8) (acc 2)
[OOC] WC GM: Hit
Jack Layfield: . roll 2d8+22
Jack Layfield rolled up 2d8+22: 33 (33)
Zubat disappears into Sandy's jaws! Then comes out again, unconscious.
SamanthaSpade blinks
SamanthaSpade: "Wait. Jack."
[OOC] Jack Layfield: Damnit
SamanthaSpade: "Jack. Jack, you okay?"
[OOC] Jack Layfield: I shouldn't have done that, but jack was too confused to order sandy not too ;-;
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: I was gonna throw some cutting words, but then I remembered the Confusion.
Jack Layfield: "Whuzzat, who's going on?"
Esme: "Aww…poor zubat."
[OOC] WC GM: 1 XP to all of the party's pokemon. Yes, all; if you have IC way of measuring this, you have IC license to notice the oddity.
SamanthaSpade: "Jack! Jack, focus. Can you see me?"
Jack Layfield: "Sam, izzat you?"
Anna Tomize: "Aww..no catch."
SamanthaSpade: "Yeah. Yeah, that little zubat had you pretty dazed. It's down for the count, now, though."
SamanthaSpade: "Sorry. I might have tried to catch it for you, but I didn't realize it had you so zonked."
Jack Layfield: "Awwwwww. I wanted to catch it. Dangit Sandy"
Sandile looks sort of embarrassed, She thought her trainer was in real trouble.
SamanthaSpade: "I'm sorry. If I'd been thinking - but ah, well, I'm sure we'll find another."
Jack Layfield: "Bleugh, yah, let's keep going."
Anna Tomize looks at Sandile.
Anna Tomize narrows her eyes really closely at Sandile.
SamanthaSpade: "Um. So, ah, it's alright to just leave the zubat there, right? Cuz if it's not…"
Anna Tomize: "C-c-can you o-open yer mouth pliss, Sssandy?"
SamanthaSpade: "I'd rather not. But I imagine taking it with us would be pretty bad when it woke up…"
Sandile opens her jaws wide.
Anna Tomize starts inspecting.
Fortunately, no bits of the zubat remain inside.
Anna Tomize: "…Huh."
Esme was looking over the fight with her pokedex.
[OOC] WC GM: Then Esme would have noticed the +1 XP - including to noncombatants.
Esme: "Zubat would've been nice, too! Though according to this there should be more around if you want to try ag- Huh."
Anna Tomize: "Wut izzit?"
Anna Tomize tilts her head. Really far. Wow she's flexible.
Esme: "Malta and Meeps got some experience?"
Tim looks a bit taken aback at how far Anna's head tilts.
Anna Tomize: "Meeps did?"
Meeps stands proud. Of course it did, it seems to say.
SamanthaSpade: "….Why would that happen? All Malta did was nothing. Which is what I asked her to, of course."
SamanthaSpade gently scratches Malta's chin.
Anna Tomize: "Mebbe they watched…?"
Esme hovers the camera over Max. "So did An…Anty? Antheia! Right."
Max Thorn: "Correct."
Sands prods Tim.
Tim: "Huh? Oh, sorry, it's just that she looked like-"
Sands PRODS Tim.
Tim: "Ow! What is it?"
Sands points to the party.
Anna Tomize blinks.
Tim just blinks.
Anna Tomize: "Hallo."
Anna Tomize waves.
Tim: "Uh…hi?"
Sands facepaws.
Anna Tomize: "Iss errything Okai?"
Max Thorn: "…Do you have an Exp Share on?"
Tim: "Yes?"
Anna Tomize: "Oooh."
Anna Tomize: "Oooooh."
Esme tosses out Gervais, giving him a scan, too. "Those are a thing?"
Sands bows at Max.
Max Thorn: "Oh. Well, there's your explanation."
Tim: "The other handlers didn't want to bother, but I figured it miiight help? I mean, you seem like you'll be doing different things."
Jack Layfield: "It's cool."
Tim: "Though…there weren't many of them anyway…"
Tim: "I dunno if even the boss would want one around. But I'm in charge of you, so it's my decision…right?"
Anna Tomize: "O-oh! D-dankyou…"
Max Thorn: "Yes, they're a specialized machine that, through mechanics you don't have the education for me to explain, transmits experience from one Pokémon to another. Some models also share with humans, and some share with everyone in a group."
Tim: "Mine only shares with pokemon."
SamanthaSpade: "That's…pretty neat, I guess. A bit creepy, but also very useful."
Tim: "Thanks!"
Tim: "I'm not sure if it'll balance things exactly once you start catching pokemon, but for now at least it's a perfect split…"
Sands prods Tim and shakes his head.
Tim: "Huh?"
Esme quirks an eyebrow with a smirk. "I don't have, or you don't have?"
Sands makes five scratches in the air - then a sixth, points to himself, and shakes his head.
Tim: "…everyone BUT you?!?"
Max Thorn: "It's not split, it's a flat rate to all affected by it."
Tim: "…I should get that fix-"
Sands puts his paw on Tim's hand and shakes his head.
Tim: "You're okay with it? Alright…"
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Almost time for me to go.
[OOC] WC GM: That's alright. After this scene, I'll start setting up for the next.
[OOC] Jack Layfield: I have to leave soon too
[OOC] Max Thorn: I'm going to split now, too.
[OOC] WC GM: NP, can set up w/Esme and Sam.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Works for me, I guess
The zubat soon wakes up and flutters off - in no state to be fought or caught.
SamanthaSpade: "Okay, that's what I was worried about. Um."
Its fluttering echoes down the tunnel…and echoes, and echoes from up ahead…wait, that's not that one zubat…
SamanthaSpade: "So, I guess we just start-"
SamanthaSpade: "…Um."
ZUBAT STAMPEDE!
Esme: "Oh good, more!"
Anna Tomize: "Myeep!"
Meep takes this as a sign to attack.
SamanthaSpade: "Um. That's rather a lot."
Jack Layfield: "Sweet, I can catch one now!!!!"
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Can I attack pre-combat?
The lights from ahead blot out under the cloud of zubat.
[OOC] WC GM: This isn't the combat.
[OOC] Anna Tomize: Also need to go in like 4 minutes.
[OOC] WC GM: You can attack, but for effect only: they'll pass over.
[OOC] WC GM: The combat is what they're running from.
A quick count shows somewhere over 100 zubat in the swarm, flying toward the group with no sign of slowing down.
Malta darts off of Sam's shoulder, hovering in front of Samantha's face, ready to take down any Zubat that dares attack her friend!
[OOC] Anna Tomize: I need to go, sorry. >_<
[OOC] WC GM: Then go. Like I said, actual combat next time.
Sandy turns about, ready to take on all of the zubats!
Esme ducks down, reaching into her pocket…
And then, from far behind the zubat swarm, the party hears a muffled explosion.
SamanthaSpade: "Um."
SamanthaSpade: "That doesn't sound good."
Esme frowns. "Rarely is."
Just before the swarm hits, the explosions are followed up by strange pops in rapid succession.
SamanthaSpade: "Aaaand those are guns."
Esme: "Buhhh?"
Tim freezes and pales - and the zubats block out sight.
Esme: "OH. Oh. Ooooh."
SamanthaSpade: "Think we can run fast enough to keep up with the zubats when they run?"
SamanthaSpade looks at Anna.
SamanthaSpade: "…Yeah, probably not."
Soon enough, the zubats are past. There is no sign of Tim or Sands.
Esme: "Pokedex said they fly pretty fast. So no."
SamanthaSpade: "Malta-"
SamanthaSpade: "Tim? Tim!?"
Some distance behind the party, the zubats come to a halt, chittering excitedly to one another.
[OOC] WC GM: Perception check if you're looking for Tim.
SamanthaSpade rolled up 3d6: 11 (11) (Perception)
Tim is Not Here. You see a patch of disturbed dirt where he was - looks like Sands tunneled, and either he or Tim filled in the hole afterward. But which way did he go?
SamanthaSpade eyes the patch of ground and bites her lip.
SamanthaSpade: "I don't know where Tim is - he may have caught up with the zubats if Sands is REALLY fast. But if he's not, and he needs to come back here, I think we might need to deal with whoever scared off all those zubats."
Esme frowns. "I think we'll have to deal with them regardless."
SamanthaSpade: "Agreed. …I really hope we're ready for this…"
More submachine gun fire comes from up ahead, along with brief flashes of light.
SamanthaSpade: "Aaaand there's no cover around here, is there. If there's one thing I've learned in my days as a private investigator, it's that you always want something heavy between you and a gun."
There are a few rock outcroppings visible ahead - stalactites and stalagmites. It might be possible to sneak up on whatever is up there.
Esme winces. That sound is gonna take getting used to… What a terrible thought.
SamanthaSpade looks around the group, puts her finger to her lips, and taking very careful, light steps, starts making her way towards the outcroppings.
As she gets near, a fist-sized metal cylinder arcs through the air, landing just opposite one of the outcroppings.
SamanthaSpade drops to the ground on the far side of the outcropping from the grenade.
The grenade explodes, the blast wave passing by her thanks to her cover.
SamanthaSpade is pretty much frozen, but anyone looking closely at her mouth can tell the word she is saying starts with an f.
A man's voice echoes from ahead. "Lucky deflection. Let's see you do that again!"
Seconds later there is another explosion, this one nowhere near as close.
Esme quickly slinks up to that cover. Explosions she can deal with.
[OOC] WC GM: Peering around the cover?
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: Um. Maybe. If I can gather the guts to do so.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: I dunno if Sam agrees with Jenny, but submachine guns and grenades? We're pretty far out of our league.
[OOC] SamanthaSpade: OTOH…
Esme rolls a small, black and red… kinda pokeball? out of her pocket, and caaaarefully eyes around the rock.
[OOC] WC GM: Actually, you aren't. I won't spoil why just yet, but it's a point you've made to me repeatedly. ;)
Malta flutters over the cover that Sam is hiding behind and starts cheeping angrily at the mysterious strangers.
Malta: "Cheep! Chip chip CHIRP!"
A man and a woman in what looks like some mishmash of desert survival gear and tactical armor, armed with Team Jaeger carbines and accompanied by two sandshrews, harry…in the darkness it is hard to tell, but it looks like a large blond man in military surplus fatigues and either a pikachu or a raichu.
All six figures freeze at Malta's interruption.
BlondMan: "…what?"
SamanthaSpade: "Malta! What are you doing!? These people will kill you!"
DesertMan: "Reinforcements?!?"
SamanthaSpade darts her head out of cover, then freezes for a moment
DesertWoman: "He'll bleed out. GET THEM!"
The man, woman, and sandshrews turn their attention to the party.
The blond man and chu duck behind the last unshattered cover in the large cavern ahead. Sunlight comes from the opposite side - looks like you're almost through the tunnel.
[OOC] WC GM: Alright, last setup before combat, then we'll end log until next time.
Malta ignores the man with chu. She glares furiously at the other two, still chirping furiously.
Esme quickly releases Gervais. "We're in for some trouble, Gervy."
SamanthaSpade cautiously stands, ready to drop behind cover at a moment's notice. Her fingers are crossed, and she's hoping her gambit will at least not get her killed.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License