Session 44

The lab flashes RED as three angry blazes are forced out of the system, coagulating - a bit more slowly than usual - into three pokemon.
Linnea: "What the hell, what the hell, what the hell?!"
Sam Spade: "Linnea we need you out here!"
Linnea turns and books it right out of the system.
Linnea: "OOOOOOOOON IT!"
Sam Spade: "Malta!"
A torterra, massive and imposing…translucent, with a trevenant inside.
An infernape flexing his muscles, slowly fading into a cofagrigus.
Max Thorn: "…I don't know what possessed me to let them out all at once, but please slap me afterward."
And an empoleon, standing as if the leader of the group - likewise an image shell, which dissolves into a gengar.
Linnea sends out Lulim the -instant- she returns to the material world.
All three glare at the party and lab workers. The lab workers within striking range back away quickly.
Linnea: "So…..-" Her musing sound cuts off abruptly, and she just stares.
Max Thorn: "Amaterasu, come on out! Linnea, if you could convince them to take this outside…? I don't want to risk damage to the equipment, which they will probably attempt if and when they get desperate."
Linnea: "Listen, if it's a proper battle you all want, then by all means, let us have a proper battlefield, okay! 'mon to 'mon - leave the humans out of it! Let's go!"
Sam Spade stands ready. She doesn't think Linnea's probe will work - but to say so would only make it LESS likely.
As one, they do indeed go - right next to the pokemon storage unit.
Linnea: "You guys…"
[OOC] WC GM: Which 'mon is Esme using?
[OOC] Esme: Huh
[OOC] WC GM: Need that to finish init for round 1.
[OOC] Esme: Ah, probably Alexis
[OOC] WC GM: Got it. Round 1! Trainers first - for all their fury, these pokemon at least seem to respect the usual Pokemon League rules.
Max Thorn sighs. "Why am I not surprised…"
[OOC] WC GM: As if said rules had been drilled into them over their lifetimes.
Max Thorn: "Come on, Ammy, give the cofagrigus a good, hard Bite! Step lively, now!" [Agility Orders]
Lulim paws at the laboratory floor, staring the three of them down. [Leer]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 8 (8) (AC 2)
Sam Spade: "Alright. Malta. Stay focused, eyes on the Gengar."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Focused Orders, Tagging Gengar.
[OOC] Linnea: -1 Def CS per each!
The gengar seems to accept Sam's proxied challenge to Malta, and fires off a dark pulse!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 15 (15)
WC GM rolled up 2d8+33: 37 (2 2)
Hits for (37-Special Defense)!
[OOC] Max Thorn: eep.
[OOC] WC GM: Amaterasu & Malta!
Sam Spade: Malta returns fire! Literally! Fire Blast!
Linnea: "Oh Melo, the systems…"
Max Thorn rolled up 1d20 2d8+16: 10 (10) 22 (3 3) (Flinch on 15+)
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20+3 4d10+10+14: 13 (10) 57 (8 6 10 9) (Focused Orders, Momentum, Smite.)
[OOC] Max Thorn: Also triggering Intimidate now.
Max Thorn: "Okay, Ammy, see if you can lure them away!"
The gengar reels back - that was a hard hit, but it is still hanging in there. The cofagrigus does not seem as effected.
The trevenant whips out a wood hammer and tries to peel Amaterasu away from its companion!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 19 (19)
Amaterasu yelps!
WC GM rolled up 4d10+36: 55 (6 6 1 6)
Hits for (55-Defense)! But the trevenant takes some recoil…
[OOC] WC GM: Alexis then Lilum!
[OOC] Max Thorn: 10/56
A streak of pink comes hurtling in from downstairs, crashing into the Trevenant with a fluttering of wings!
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 4 (2) (AC 2)
Esme follows in shortly after. "What are you guys DOING up here?"
[OOC] WC GM: Miss
Sam Spade: "PC Network was shut down by angry ghost pokemon!"
Linnea: "Trying to get these clowns all away from the systems!"
Max Thorn: "These three were preventing access to the storage system."
Max Thorn: "I, uh. Foolishly yanked them all out at the same time."
Esme narrows her eyes. "Of course it's ghosts. Ghosts are getting marked up there with grass now. Ugh."
Sam Spade: "Could blame Max. But they're still freaked out about ten dozen Jaggies shooting each of them with machine guns and not even waiting for them to go down before gunning down the Champion."
[OOC] WC GM: Lilum's turn
Linnea points at the Gengar, and Lulim breaks into a short dash, pouncing forth to give it another good [Bite]!
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 13 (13) (AC2, 18-20 crit)
[OOC] Linnea: Dark vers. Ghost is super, do you handle that or me?
[OOC] WC GM: I'll handle that.
[OOC] Esme: He does, since it's applied after defenses
Linnea rolled up 2d8+31: 44 (8 5) (Phys/Dark)
While the gengar does not flinch, it is reeling from that and Malta's attacks - clearly injured, at least.
The cofagrigus tosses a shadow ball at Lilum in retaliation!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 14 (14)
WC GM rolled up 3d8+30: 35 (2 1 2)
Hits for (35-SpecialDefense)!
[OOC] WC GM: Round 2! Trainer turns!
Sam Spade: "Hit him again, Malta!" ((Strike Again!))
Malta shakes her feathers and launches a burning [Ember] at the Gengar!
roll-as Malta 1d20+2 2d6+8+14; AC 2+Focused Training+Momentum, Burn on 18+
[OOC] Max Thorn: Agility Orders
Malta rolled up 1d20+2 2d6+8+14: 13 (11) 30 (5 3) (AC 2+Focused Training+Momentum, Burn on 18+)
Esme: "Stay focused, Alexis. Don't run into any of the equipment!"
Linnea: "Hm…"
The gengar seems on its last legs…
Linnea: "Just as a Champion's 'mon should be."
Linnea: "All the same…"
Sam Spade: "They're not as strong as I would have expected. But I suppose all their training would have been before they died…"
Linnea: "Bit rot's a harsh mistress, too."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Malta: HP 42/71. Momentum: 3.
[OOC] WC GM: That's Max's turn?
[OOC] Max Thorn: The agility orders was Max, yes.
The gengar targets Malta for some payback!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 6 (6)
…and misses, barely.
Sam Spade: "Nice one, Malta! Stay on him!"
Max Thorn: "Ammy, switch targets! Bite the gengar!"
Max Thorn rolled up 1d20 2d8+16: 18 (18) 22 (3 3) (flinch on 15+)
The gengar SHOULD be unconscious now, you think…but somehow is clinging to unlife.
[OOC] WC GM: Malta!
Malta glances at Sam for instructions, but then just shrugs and launches another [Ember] at the gengar.
Malta rolled up 1d20+2 2d6+8+14: 11 (9) 30 (5 3) (AC2, burn on 18)
WC GM rolled up 4d6+1: 17 (4 5 5 2) (trevenant's intercept)
The trevenant manages to barely push the gengar out of the way! …for better or for worse, as the ember burns the trevenant harshly!
[OOC] WC GM: Alexis then Lilum!
Alexis swiftly creeps up behind the gengar, cutting off any possibility of escape! [Pursuit]
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 17 (15) (AC 2)
Esme rolled up 2d6+33: 37 (3 1) (Dark/Physical)
WC GM rolled up 3d6+1: 10 (2 1 6) (cofagrigus's intercept)
Sam Spade: "Solid teamwork, I'll say that. They clearly were the best."
The cofagrigus takes this one, reeling from the blow.
Lulim continues staring down the ghosts, her expression grim. [Leer]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 4 (4) (AC 2)
The ghosts grin back, almost as if trained to do so in unison. (Miss)
[OOC] WC GM: Round 3, trainer actions!
Sam Spade: "Alright, Malta, focus on the trevanant for now. Take your time, do it right." ((Tagging trevanant, Focused Orders.))
Max Thorn: "Keep up the good work, Ammy, and give the cofagrigus another Bite to keep him honest!" [Agility Orders]
Esme: "They can't keep pulling that off. Stay focused and lay the pressure, 'lexis!" [Focused Orders]
Linnea: "C'mon, Lulim. Keep the damage to a minimum, we can take care of these clowns… stay on your toes!" [Inspired Orders]
The gengar backs off a bit, then hauls off and shadow punches the storage system!
Sam Spade: "Hey, that's mean!"
[OOC] Esme: Gonna use Pursuit as an Interrupt when it moves
[OOC] WC GM: The gengar? That's now.
WC GM rolled up 2d8+25: 34 (5 4)
[OOC] Esme: Exactly
The gengar barely dents the machine.
Alexis was pretty clear about not running away.
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 8 (6) (AC 2)
Max Thorn: "No no no no no no no nooooo0o…"
[OOC] WC GM: Hits
Esme rolled up 2d8+35: 48 (7 6) (Dark/Physical)
Linnea: "Ough…"
That bite took away about half of the gengar's remaining essence. It is floating there with a big bite-sized hole in its backside.
Esme: "Good hustle!"
That gengar is Injured and then some.
[OOC] WC GM: Amaterasu & Malta!
Max Thorn: "…Don't think you're supposed to tear away the butt when you bite someone on it."
Amaterasu rolled up 1d20 2d8+16: 6 (6) 22 (1 5) (Flinch on 15+)
Malta closes her eyes, focuses, and lets forth a powerful blast of fire!
Malta rolled up 1d20+2+2 4d10+10+14: 18 (14) 45 (1 4 10 6) (AC 4, Smite, burn on 19+)
Amaterasu's teeth barely scrape the cofagrigus's paint.
Malta has far more effect on the trevenant.
[OOC] Linnea: Ah now is it 'mon turns?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yeah, but that's by init.
[OOC] WC GM: ^
[OOC] Esme: ^
[OOC] Max Thorn: ^
[OOC] Esme: Alexis used her turn out of order with an Interrupt move
The trevenant is not looking so hot either, but is not clinging to (un)life like the gengar yet.
It decides to (wood) hammer away its assailant, Malta.
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 18 (18)
WC GM rolled up 4d10+36: 61 (3 4 8 10)
Hits for (61-Defense)!
[OOC] Sam Spade: Malta: 30/71 HP.
[OOC] Sam Spade: It's REALLY not very effective.
[OOC] WC GM: Alexis then Lilum!
Linnea: "Oh, jeez…!"
Alexis is quizzically eyeing that Gengar she chased down. [Acted as Interrupt]
[OOC] WC GM: Lilum!
Linnea gestures at the trevenant - "THERE!" - and Lulim leaps into action once more, tearing ghostly leaves, bark, and branches alike! [Bite]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 15 (15) (AC2, 18+ crit, 15+ flinch)
Linnea rolled up 2d8+31: 39 (3 5) (Phys/Dark)
The trevenant is bowled right over, and is going to have to spend a moment to get back up!
The cofagrigus is having a (shadow) ball, and apparently wants Alexis to have one too!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 10 (10)
WC GM rolled up 3d8+30: 38 (3 4 1)
Hits for (38-SpecialDefense)!
[OOC] WC GM: Round 4, trainer actions!
Max Thorn has a good, hard look at the gengar…
Max Thorn rolled up 5d6: 11 (5 1 1 1 3) (Pokémon Ed)
Sam Spade: "Alright, Malta. Think hard about that fire blast. I know you have another inside you…" ((Expend Momentum: restore Scene move.))
Linnea notices Max taking a look at the creature - okay, maybe it's a pokemon, maybe it got spat out by a giant computer…but it's still SOME kind of spirit, right? Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.
Linnea rolled up 6d6+1: 18 (2 1 6 1 2 5) (Occult and spending an AP)
Max Thorn: "…Linnea, how in Arceus's name is that thing still moving?!"
Linnea: "Shh…I'm thinking…!"
Esme winces; Looked like that hit fairly hard. "You know the drill 'Lexi! Keep sharp!" [Focused Training]
[OOC] Esme: Alexis: 45/71
Max Thorn: "That said…if we keep attacking it, it will die again."
Linnea: "Oh… it's angry…"
Linnea: "It's running OFF that anger…"
Max Thorn points! "You! Do you wish to die again, or to fight back against those who killed you the first time?"
Linnea: "Don't you feel it? It's…it's…"
Linnea pales.
Linnea: "We need to take care of this now! NOW!"
Max Thorn: "…So…are you saying that that's the only option, Linnea? Or…?"
Linnea: "If we don't do something, their anger will transform them into something most unpleasant."
Linnea: "So, we need to do SOMETHING."
The gengar steps back, preparing a shadow ball to wail on the storage system. It begins to glow slightly, its rage beginning to form into unown-like glyphs.
[OOC] WC GM: Is Alexis intercepting again?
Linnea: "See?! THAT!"
Max Thorn: "…I'm going to take that as a 'yes'."
[OOC] Esme: YUP
Linnea: "THAT'S NOT NORMAL!"
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 17 (15) (AC 2)
Esme rolled up 2d8+35: 40 (2 3) (Dark/Physical)
Alexis gives chase, with another pursuing strike!
Max Thorn: "Yes, I'm aware. Amaterasu…circle 'round to the side and give him an Ember for his troubles!"
Alexis plows right through the gengar, discorporating it entirely!
[OOC] WC GM: Gengar hit -100% HP exactly.
Max Thorn: "…Scratch that, give the *trevenant* the Ember."
[OOC] WC GM: Amaterasu & Malta, then Lilum since trevenant's Flinched.
Sam Spade: "Rest in peace, Empoleon."
Amaterasu rolled up 1d20 2d6+8+18: 10 (10) 32 (2 4) (AC 2, Burn on 18+)
The trevenant staggers, clinging to unlife - now that you know what to look for, it is the same as the gengar.
[OOC] WC GM: Just dropped to negative HP.
Malta DOES have another Fire Blast inside her!
Malta rolled up 1d20+2 4d10+10+14+5: 7 (5) 55 (6 9 7 4) (Smite.)
WC GM rolled up 3d6+1: 12 (6 3 2)
The cofagrigus intercepts this fire blast.
Linnea points with a trembling hand at the Trevenant, and Lulim keeps tearing and gouging away with eerie calm. Lulim don't give a shit about ghosts. [Bite]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 11 (11) (AC2, 18+ crit, 15+ flinch)
Linnea rolled up 2d8+31: 35 (3 1) (Phys/Dark)
[OOC] Sam Spade: It's 5 less damage on the attack, then. That's a Duelist bonus.
[OOC] WC GM: Round 5, trainer actions!
[OOC] Linnea: I can't use revives on ball'd pokemon, can I?
Sam Spade: "Stick with the trevenant for now, Malta! Take your time, don't let him get to you!" ((Focused Orders.))
[OOC] WC GM: Sure you can.
Esme: "Two polterpunks left. Keep up the momentum, Alexis!" [Focused All Day Errday]
[OOC] WC GM: After trainer orders, Amaterasu & Malta!
Max Thorn gives Amaterasu a Super Potion, finally.
Malta rolled up 1d20+4 2d6+8+14: 11 (7) 29 (5 2) (Burn on 18, add 5 more to base damage if the cofagrigus doesn't intercept.)
Linnea darts over to Sam, quickly poking at Malta's pokeball to release the poor creature and apply a [Revive]! "AHH sorry Sam but- just- here!"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Uhh, it's not down yet?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yeah, Malta didn't go down because it was a grass attack.
[OOC] Linnea: Ooh. Uh.
[OOC] Sam Spade: ….In fact in retrospect she should be better than she is, because it should have been…5x resist? 6x?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Ah, 8x.
Linnea belays all that nonsense and quickly applies a [Super Potion] to Malta instead! [+35 HP, keeps turn due to medic training]
[OOC] Sam Spade: Malta: 67/71 HP, Momentum 6.
The trevenant glows with power, its own runes forming.
It bellows; all present recognize the Destiny Bond in their own way. The temporary soul chains link even the trainers - and some of the lab techs - to the trevenant, as well as their pokemon.
Max Thorn: "…Oh, Arceus."
[OOC] WC GM: Alexis then Lilum!
Linnea: "No…nononono no no no, please don't…"
Alexis…turns to the Cofagrigus. The tree will have to wait. She sharply glares, looking for an opening! [Leer]
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 21 (19) (AC 2)
Destiny Bond use by those on the verge of death, let alone re-death (or un-undeath; the exact wording is unclear), has not been well researched for obvious reasons.
The cofagrigus is leered at, right and properly.
[OOC] Esme: -1 Def CS, etc etc
Esme: "If we can stop it from moving without taking it out, the bond should be undone…but that's tricky."
[OOC] WC GM: Lilum's turn!
Esme: "…Or if it goes down to something other than a direct hit. Hm."
Max Thorn: "I could send Nook out to confuse it…?"
Linnea: "I, uh…"
Linnea: "This would be BAD for Miator."
Linnea: "And she's still dealing with the shock from…well."
Linnea: "A-anyway! Lulim, get the other one!"
Lulim ceases her assault on the TERRIFYINGLY ANGRY TREE and launches herself at the un-living coffin! [Bite]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 6 (6) (AC2, 18+ crit, 15+ flinch)
Linnea rolled up 2d8+31: 38 (2 5) (Phys/Dark)
This bite does more damage than Amaterasu's.
The cofagrius glares at Lilum, and a darkness spreads between the two. Lilum is Cursed!
[OOC] WC GM: Round 6, trainer orders!
Max Thorn: "All right, Amaterasu, come back! Nook, go!"
Sam Spade: "Take the Cofagrigus, Malta. Get in there and tear his face off!" ((Reckless Advance, Tagging Cofi.))
Malta: "Fletch!"
[OOC] Esme: We're doing faux-league, so does it still use my poketurn to switch?
[OOC] Max Thorn: ^
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah.
[OOC] Esme: Mmk
"… Sol." "Ah, shit."
Esme recalls Alexis. "Good job! But time for a change in strategy… On you, Luc!"
[OOC] WC GM: Malta's turn after trainer orders
[OOC] WC GM: Of which - Linnea's turn is the only one remaining
Linnea: "Just… stand guard for now, Lulim. Be ready." [Inspired Training]
[OOC] WC GM: K. Malta!
Malta darts past the Cofagrigus, planting a [Peck] on its head!
Malta rolled up 1d20+4 1d8+6+14+8: 14 (10) 34 (6) (AC2 Phys/Flying, Trip on 18+.)
Malta looks a little unsteady on her feet - she is currently Vulnerable!
The cofagrigus is vulnerable in its own way, wobbling much as its fellows did…
Max Thorn: "…Hopefully you can shut it down before it can unleash its own special."
The trevenant vanishes, its rage-runes fading away a moment later. This is literally textbook; all of the trainers present recognize Phantom Force from their classroom training.
[OOC] WC GM: Lulim!
Max's pokedex beeps with an incoming message.
Linnea grits her teeth. "Just…just hold on, Lulim. They're goading you into the curse. Just let it be…" [Pass]
[OOC] Sam Spade: Destiny Bond is done now, yes?
The cofagrigus tries to bait Lulim further, tossing another shadow ball.
[OOC] WC GM: Yes.
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 9 (9)
WC GM rolled up 3d8+30: 44 (7 3 4)
Max Thorn: "Yup. We know where that trevenant's gonna strike, so set a trap for it, if you can."
Hits for 44-(SpecialDefense)!
Max Thorn pulls his 'dex out and taps in an affirmative.
[OOC] Linnea: not-very-effective
[OOC] WC GM: Round 7, trainer turns!
[OOC] Linnea: So-ah, right
Lulim bears the hit with an eerie grace, paws digging into the floor again. [66/82]
Max Thorn: "All right, Nook! Quick as you can, now, get to the storage system and get a Powder Snow going!"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Agility Orders
[OOC] Sam Spade: Can pokemon hold their turns?
Esme kneels to pat the goopy-gon. "Alright Luc, I need you to help wittle what's left of them down, alright?" [Focused Training]
[OOC] WC GM: To act at lower inits? Sure. Though to be clear: this specific turn I'm allowing any move to count as an Interrupt against the not-normally-Interruptible Phantom Force.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Okay.
[OOC] WC GM: Because you are pretty sure exactly where it will appear, which is not normally the case.
Sam Spade: "Alright, Malta. As soon as that dead tree comes back from wherever it went, I want you to BURN IT DOWN."
[OOC] Max Thorn: activating Dual Tech: Antipode. :V
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea's and Sam's turns?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Ah, tagging the trevenant, if that wasn't clear, and Focused Orders.
Linnea: "… … …"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Linnea taking no turn?
Linnea continues to stand ready, waiting. Any uncertain movement by her or Lulim would end in catastrophe…or so she felt. [Inspired Orders]
Sure enough, the trevenant appears right where the gengar did, aiming to strike the storage system!
[OOC] WC GM: Anyone waiting to wail on it, go!
Nook rolled up 1d20 2d6+8+15: 3 (3) 31 (5 3) (AC 2, Freeze on 19+)
Linnea snaps open her eyes. "Curse or no, now or never! We've got to save these systems! COME ON, LULIM!"
[OOC] Max Thorn: *frowns at Chessa*
Malta rolled up 1d20+2+3 2d6+8+14+5: 8 (3) 34 (2 5) (AC2 Spec/Fire, Burn on 18+.)
Lulim lunges at the Trevenant, snarling even as the curse burns! [Bite]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 19 (19) (AC2, 18+ crit, 15+ flinch)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Nice!
[OOC] Max Thorn: wahahaha
Linnea rolled up 4d8+31: 58 (5 8 8 6) (Phys/Dark)
Lulim: 50/82
The trevenant, with all its fury, discorporates under the triple attack.
Linnea: "Yes! Ahahaha, yes yes yes!"
Max Thorn: "Just gotta handle the cofagrigus, now."
The cofagrigus looks at Max, looks at his pokedex, then breaks and dashes toward the fusion lab, bandages reaching out to try to seize the equipment.
Sam Spade: "Hey! You get back here!"
[OOC] WC GM: Lucrece!
Lucrece launches a ball of goop at the fleeing Cofagrigus, it latching on and embedding itself in the ghost! [Toxic]
[OOC] Esme: Can't miss!
The cofagrigus gets coated in poison as it grabs for the overpowered laser.
[OOC] WC GM: Turn 8, trainer turns!
Max Thorn: "Nook…take careful aim, now, and give the cofagrigus a Confuse Ray!"
Sam Spade: "Malta, Cofagrigus! Go, but don't be crazy!"
Lulim's eyes -glint- and she BOLTS after the Cofagrigus, slamming into it! [Pursuit, boosted DB]
Linnea rolled up 1d20: 7 (7) (DB2, 18+ crit)
Esme gives Luc a thumbs up. "Perfect!" [Focus all day]
Linnea rolled up 3d8+30: 44 (5 3 6) (Phys/Dark)
[OOC] Linnea: oh right-
Lulim: 34/81
[OOC] WC GM: After trainer turns, Malta & Nootaikok!
Linnea dashes forward, enough to recall Lulim, then send out…a Gardevoir?
Linnea: "… Mia?!"
Nook rolled up 1d20: 5 (5) (AC 2, Confuse)
Malta lobs an [Ember]!
Malta rolled up 1d20+2+3 2d6+8+14: 13 (8) 31 (4 5) (AC2 Spec/Fire, Burn on 18+.)
Linnea: "<Huh…? What's going on? I was having the nicest of naps, and…Arceus's arse, what's going on?!>"
The cofagrigus stumbles around, wielding a laser about as big as it is…
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 5 (5)
Linnea: "How did you-" "<What is it humans say? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?>"
…aiming the laser straight at Miator…
Max Thorn: "…Oh, Arceus…"
…only to find out the hard way, it was holding the laser backward.
She notices just in the nick of time and -
Linnea: "What?" "<What.>"
WC GM rolled up 6d12+55: 99 (1 11 7 11 3 11)
Max Thorn: "What a way to go."
The cofagrigus discorporates in a large beam of LASER.
Linnea: "Uhhhhhh…"
Linnea: "I'll take it!"
Max Thorn checks on the storage system, now that the danger is passed.
The storage system has been dented a bit, but seems to be functional now.
Sam Spade: "Huh."
Max Thorn: "All right, let's see…" Max walks over to the computer system and checks on connectivity.
[OOC] WC GM: 150 pokemon XP per trainer
Esme: "So this was about ghosts stopping the what now?"
All connectivity checks report green, now that the blockage is gone.
Max Thorn: "Those three pokémon were blocking access to the storage system. Now that that's fixed, the storage system is accessible again. Finally."
Linnea: "Soooooooooooooooooooo…"
Linnea: "Hot sparking damn!"
Esme: "Huh. Neat."
Sam Spade: "…What happened to the fourth?"
Esme: "Were they the only things in there?"
[OOC] WC GM: For the record: yes, that's a DB 20 laser the cofagrigus tried to appropriate, that's now lying on the floor.
Sam Spade: "No, they were blocking the rest in and forcing them to sleep."
Max Thorn: "There was a fourth, I think, but one of those three had forced it to sleep."
Scrolling through the index of pokemon, Max finds three anomalous entries - presumably the Champion's other three pokemon, forced to sleep with the rest.
One of them apparently in front of Max, the other two previously.
Esme was in fact moving to check out said laser; At least turn it back off, anyway.
Sam Spade: "And…we should probably get the word out. There are a lot of pokemon who have been in here for far, far too long."
The laser has several obvious OFF switches, as if the lab staff was worried about its power too.
Esme: "Well…there's still the whole Jaeger limit thing."
Max Thorn: "Oh, quite. Esmé…power down that laser, if you please."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, but."
Max Thorn runs a records check to generate a list of pokémon whose masters are now dead and who are confirmed to not have any living heirs.
Esme flips one of the several. While taking some notes of course.
Linnea: "All these cooped up critters… jeez…"
Max Thorn: "My plan is to go through the masterless pokémon in one-on-one interviews and let them decide for themselves what their disposition's going to be."
Esme coughs.
Max Thorn: "The ones whose owners are still alive will, of course, have those owners contacted."
Esme: "Noble! You have fun with that."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, we have plenty of time before the rocket comes back and we find out that Professor Petri isn't on it."
Max Thorn: "Well. I say 'one-on-one', but really, I think I want an allied psychic-type pokémon on hand for those who can't talk."
Max Thorn: "If Miator's willing, Linnea…?"
Linnea: "<I have…>" "…no problems here."
[OOC] Linnea: Ah, that should be one sentence flowing into another, not interrupting
Esme: "I could lend Luc too if you need. Might go a bit faster if you don't have to withdraw half of them."
Linnea and Miator both step forward.
Max Thorn: "Thanks much, both of you."
Max Thorn places a call to Dmitri. "All right. Storage system is green, if a bit dented. I'm going to run through the masterless pokémon and interview 'em while we're waiting for the rocket to return. I want to give them the option to determine their disposition."
Sam Spade: "Hey, Max. Do you know where the Pokemon Center is?"
Dmitri: "Thank you. And I have good news: I have confirmed the rocket will be landing back here in a few hours. Unless your quarry has somewhere to go in space, she should return at that time. I'll have security waiting."
Max Thorn: "Uhhh. There's a push-button down the hall; if that's not enough, the medical lab's in the next building over."
Sam Spade: "Okay, but we should probably check in at some point. And…the gym leader?"
Max Thorn: "If you want to do that while I'm conducting interviews…?"
Max Thorn: "As for the gym leader, um. You talked to him on the way here."
Sam Spade blinks.
Max Thorn: "Or, uh. I think I qualify to act as one, now. Professor?"
Esme: "/I'm/ going to take the opportunity to use a fully operational research center to get some work done."
Dmitri: "Ha! You've got a way to go, Researcher. But yes. Any of the full Professors at this university qualifies as Scale Mount's gym leader."
Sam Spade: "Well, we're supposed to make a challenge for a badge, or Tim will be confused."
[OOC] Max Thorn: If we want to timeskip for the interviews…?
Dmitri: "Handling a pokemon team is one of the requirements, especially since some of the students are pokemon."
Esme: "Campground boulders do not make for good workbenches."
Max Thorn gestures at the storage system. "*That* would qualify as a challenge, Sam, if I'm not mistaken."
Sam Spade: "But did it."
Dmitri: "Gym challenge, huh? I'll think of one - later."
Max Thorn: "…Or we could do something else, too. Eh."
Dmitri: "Right now there's work to do. I'll get a repair crew for the storage system."
Sam Spade: "Alright, then. I'm going to go make sure Malta's up to form."
Max Thorn: "If you want a proper pokémon center, there's one dockside, too."
Max Thorn: "Anyway…I'm going to go get started on those interviews."
Esme: "Ah yeah, Professor Dimitri! When you get a chance do you have someone who could look over my thesis?
[OOC] Max Thorn: I presume that the list Max requested was generated at some point…?
Dmitri: "Huh? I'll have time once I'm done reviewing the rocket logs, if you'd care to send it over."
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah. Pretty much automatic - it took a few minutes' processing given the data set size.
Esme: "Hee! Merci!"
Max Thorn routes a copy to Esmé's pokédex, to be copied to Luc.
The lab crew are more than happy to direct Esme to an unoccupied but well-stocked workbench. The tools are attached by cords to prevent theft.
Max Thorn calls up the first pokémon on the list…
A bit under 10 percent of the pokemon have trainers who are either officially deceased, or whose pokedexes have been offline for over a year.
The first such pokemon is a pikachu. She looks at Max blankly.
[OOC] Max Thorn: oh god, ~560,000 pokémon to interview.
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah, the party's going to only make a small dent after several hours.
Linnea sighs and and gives Mia a look. "<Ah, well, here we go.>"
Esme leaves Luc in Max's hands. It'll hop into the system at request!
Esme: "Now then…" She cracks her knuckles, pulling that laser from earlier over to her near the workbench. "…time for a breakthrough."
Max Thorn: "I regret to inform you that your keeper has died while you were in the storage system. Consequently, I want to give you a choice as to what you want to do. Do you want to be released in Amoda, or would you prefer to move to Dojji and help repopulate it? Or you could help out here in Masonic Carpenters U, or go back into storage. The choice is yours."
Pikachu: "Pika?"
Max Thorn looks to Mia.
Sam Spade shudders and is glad she didn't volunteer for that, then departs.
[OOC] WC GM: Sam is headed to the medical lab, yes?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yes.
Linnea pinches the bridge of her nose. Oy…
Sam's destination is a "pokemon center" in the same sense that Dojji had become "a desert" .
Cloning equipment, pokemon treatment stations, tissue printing, regeneration machines like the one at Fort Blaston, and at least three Nurse Joys are visible to Sam at a glance just walking in the front door.
Linnea: "Your trainer is gone. What should we do?"
Pikachu: "Pika?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Was hoping Mia'd translate that 'Pika?' :p
Linnea: "Oh, this one doesn't understand."
[OOC] WC GM: Translates as "Huh?"
Linnea: "… still doesn't."
Linnea: "Melo, but I'm not qualified for this…"
Max Thorn doublechecks the pikachu's entry in the system.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Aaaand that is why Sam bailed as soon as she possibly could.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sam is a detective. Not a grief counselor.
This pikachu was all of 1 month old, barely evolved, when her trainer died.
Sam Spade: "The PC network is back up."
Max Thorn: "…Oh. That explains it."
Sam Spade: "….They could probably use some help sorting out the pokemon that were…"
Sam Spade: "…left behind."
One of the Nurse Joys - wearing pink leathers, with her hair in an attempt at a mohawk - glances over at Sam. "They fixed it? What was wrong?"
Max Thorn hastily recalls the pikachu, for later handling by a specialist.
Linnea: "Oh…this bodes ill…"
Linnea: "My poor heart…"
Sam Spade: "Um."
A gallade submits himself as next, once the pikachu returns. He almost seems to be smirking at Max.
Sam Spade: "Well, the Champion's pokemon…figured that there was no point in going on. For any pokemon. At all."
Max Thorn: "…I think you already know what I'm going to tell you."
Sam Spade: "So they locked it from the inside…"
…it is less of a surprise when the gallade speaks. "Yeah. I managed to stay awake. Heh, 'lucky' me."
Max Thorn: "I'm sorry to hear that. So, what would your preference be, then?"
Gallade: "Hmm, think I'll help fix what my 'friends' put wrong. Ah…thanks for beating them, by the way. I tried to put them to rest myself, but that wasn't happening."
Linnea: "Psychic and fighting…kind of bad against ghosts. I'm sorry."
Max Thorn: "…Wait a minute…"
Nurse Joy: "And you unlocked it from the inside?"
Max Thorn: "…You're not a gallade. Are you."
Sam Spade: "Ish? Max managed to force the ones holding the barrier out, and we fought them."
Gallade: "Well. I am NOW. Was born human."
Sam Spade: "…Unfortunately, to the death…"
Max Thorn blinks.
Sam Spade: "Anyway, with them…out…the barrier came down."
Sam Spade: "…I think I'm going to need a minute."
Sam Spade finds a chair and sits down, hugging Malta to her chest.
Max Thorn: "Interesting. How did you manage that?"
Gallade: "Yeaaah, umm…she's dead now, right? I think I was the only one of the Champion's pokemon to survive - I balled myself once I saw what was going on."
Nurse Joy sheds what cockiness she displayed in an instant, kneels next to Sam, and hugs her wordlessly.
Linnea: "I see…"
Max Thorn: "…I'm not sure I buy that." *Was* a gallade on the champion's team?
Sam Spade: "Too many ghosts…"
Linnea: "I won't blame you."
Gallade: "She kept it private, buuut…well, I think three of us were like that. Fell in love with her, she replicated Bill's experiment, wound up on her belt fighting for her. Weren't supposed to speak in public."
Gallade: "Three…maybe two. We didn't talk much to each other."
Sam Spade: "Thank you. I'll be fine. I've just…they fought to the death."
[OOC] Sam Spade: Huh. Wonder if Ter was one.
Nurse Joy squeezes Sam.
Linnea: "Yeah, that's kind of gone to hell now, huh."
Gallade: "So what's been happening while I've been under?"
Sam Spade: "And when they were losing - when they were dying - instead of letting go, they gave everything they had to try and kill the pokemon that they were keeping asleep?"
[OOC] WC GM: Maaaybe.
Sam Spade: "And the raidertanks. They killed people to make more ghosts to stuff in empty raidertanks."
Nurse Joy tilts her head at that.
Max Thorn relates the events since the champion's death, at least what he knows of 'em, anyway; the gallade can look it up later.
The gallade listens, facepalming more than once as Max tells the tale.
Max Thorn: "…So anyway, you're thinking about hanging out here in the university, right? Or were you gonna travel around Amoda?"
Esme took awhile to get started, but soon the curious, and thunderous, CRACKing of shards coalescing begins to ring from her workstation.
Gallade: "I might as well stay here for now, help organize counselors. It'll take months to help all those pokemon who don't have somewhere to go."
Linnea: "Anyone else in there you know of that would be good for that?"
Linnea: "We're going to need a team for this."
Many lab techs look in Esme's direction as the CRACKing begins. Soon Esme has a crowd of onlookers.
Gallade: "Hmm, I don't know. I mean, we were all asleep in there, not a good way to get to know other pokemon."
Max Thorn: "Quite. I'll be more than happy to accept your assistance with that, seeing as to how my first attempt was a month-old, freshly-evolved pikachu."
Max Thorn 's face looks bleak when he finishes that sentence.
Gallade: "By the way, you said you ran into Rese?"
Esme looks up, but motions as though it's obvious what she's up to. "Ok, so there's the ground ones…did the steel ones, and I think I have enough to try Bug, too."
Max Thorn: "We did, yeah. Did you want to get in touch?"
Gallade: "Eventually. Be nice to see my daughter, at least."
Max Thorn blinks.
Max Thorn: "Be happy to help with that."
Max Thorn hmms, then calls up the next pokémon on the list for realsies this time.
Gallade: "Thanks. As to the ones in here…we should probably start by getting the word out to those trainers who are still around."
Linnea: "We can send service-wide announcements, right?"
Linnea turns to Max.
Esme holds up a Ground Bracer in one hand, and a Ground Booster in the other. She attempts to put them against one another, only for them to repel in a small shower of sparks. "Not going to be easy…"
Max Thorn: "I was going to send a form email, yeah."
Max Thorn motions to an empty console. "If you want to get started on that…?"
The next pokemon is a dragonite, who comes out in a protective stance. You can almost see the outline of the trainer she was guarding in her pose, before she realizes she is alone and stands up.
Max Thorn repeats the spiel he'd given so fruitlessly to the pikachu earlier.
Linnea: "…stand down, it's over now."
The dragonite looks around a bit, then walks over to a map on the wall. She points to the cemetary near Dojoholm, then at Elysium Valley, then gives Linnea and Max a questioning look.
Max Thorn: "You want to visit the cemetary at Dojoholm, then go to Elysium Valley? Can do."
Linnea: "Indeed."
Esme gives it another try, this time bracing herself against the force. As they clash the sparks keep flying, a low thrumming beginning to ring through the lab as she manages to forcibly hold them together.
The dragonite shakes her head, then points at the two cemetaries, then in front of her.
Dragonite: "Ite?"
Max Thorn: "…Mia, could you interpret, please?"
Linnea: "Which one, she says."
Max Thorn: "Ohhh." He facepalms.
Max Thorn: "Let me check."
Max Thorn queries the cemetery records for both locations.
It takes a moment to trace through the records, since this is not a common data query, but this dragonite's trainer is listed as buried in Elysium Valley.
Max Thorn: "Elysium Valley."
The dragonite nods in thanks, walks out the door, takes off, and soars southward toward her trainer's grave.
Max Thorn: "…That was relatively straightforward."
Max Thorn proceeds to the next entry on the list…but before he does that, he gives Luc a copy of the list and asks her(?) to start from the bottom.
The thrumming builds…and builds…until with a flash of light, Esme is sent flying back off her stool with a CRACK like thunder shaking the building.
Two of the lab techs catch Esme - or try to. She winds up prone atop them.
Esme: "Ow."
Esme: "Did that work?"
The next pokemon on the list is a charmander - barely conscious, bleeding from bullet holes apparently there upon being stored.
Linnea: "<Sweet merciful->"
Mia immediately tries to stabilize the poor creature with a Heal Pulse.
Esme picks herself up (thanking the techs), and checks the bench…
The bleeding stops, but the charmander is still barely moving.
Linnea: "Someone get staff! Get this one to medical, possible regeneration needed!"
One of the lab techs gathered around Esme looks over at Linnea's shout, and hops to, picking up the charmander then scurrying off to the medical lab.
Linnea: "Phew, thanks…"
Everything else was blown the the floor-but a small brown tablet of crystal rests at the center of the blast. A familiar symbol resembling a cracking mountain is engraved upon it.
Esme: "HAHAHA YEEES!"
Max Thorn checks the next entry on the list to make sure there's nothing untoward before he calls it up.
Fortunately, the equipment on Esme's workbench is charred but otherwise unharmed, as if this lab was built with SCIENCE! in mind.
Esme: "Honestly raises some more questions, but it did give me the answer I wanted."
Esme: "Plate."
The next pokemon is a wartortle, cannons out, looking for targets. Fortunately, there are no Team Jaeger uniforms present; Tim has apparently decided to be elsewhere just now.
Max Thorn repeats the spiel.
Linnea: "S-stand down…"
The wartortle's head tilts, then eyes widen. Finally, the wartortle retracts into shell, twin water jets streaming from where its head went as blubbering cries echo from within.
Esme: "If you guys could get me some like, cushions or something? I'm gonna see if I can replicate that. A few times."
[OOC] Esme: Daww
Max Thorn: "…"
Max Thorn recalls the wartortle for now, flagging the entry for grief counseling, then goes on to the next.
Lab Tech: "Blast padding, got it." The tech snaps her fingers, and within half a minute a four-man flunkie team appears with a padded palanquin and movable padded blast barriers.
Esme blinks. That was fast.
Next up is a persian, who yawns and stretches upon materializing.
Esme: "Alright then!"
Lab Tech: "Heh. It's useful to be prepared."
Linnea: "Hm…"
Max is starting to sound rehearsed now…
The persian blinks at Max's spiel, then puts paws up on the panel and looks through the list, soon pointing at a rattata's entry and looking up at Max questioningly.
Linnea: "Oh for-"
Max Thorn crosschecks to make sure the rattata belongs to the same trainer as the persian.
Max Thorn: "You're not going to eat it, are you?"
It does not. This was just the next rattata on the list.
The persian smiles, cat-like.
Max Thorn: "Sorry, no."
The persian manages a "Siaaaan" that sounds remarkably like "Awww" , then hops off and heads for the door.
[OOC] Max Thorn: This would make a convenient pausing point, I think…?
Esme repeats her forging process twice more. The second attempt is only minimally less thunderous as the first. The third is far more subdued, with her even managing to catch herself as she falls.
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah. I wanted to set up for next session, but if we can get Esme and Sam through their bits - or will Sam recover next session?
Two more plates now adorn the first: one green with the symbol for Bug, and another with the symbol for Steel.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sam just needs some time to sit.
Esme: "Welp, that's a good sample size for whether that's a one-time deal or not. Sources say: No." She winds her shoulders. "Thanks for your assistance! Now…" She grins. "…for integration."
[OOC] Esme: and I'm good for on-screen shenanigans

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License