Session 46

Arceus looms over the party, the moon passing behind to backlit for a moment. "READY YOUR ALLIES!"
Linnea: "What the fu- you know what? You wanna go? Fine. Let's do this, Mia."
Sam Spade: "Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres…Chicklet, keep your cool."
[OOC] WC GM: Chicklet, Amaterasu, Miator, and…?
Linnea: "<You're bonkers.>" "Correct."
Esme: "Well since there's atmosphere…" She recalls Lucrece, since walking is a thing. "Gervy, you're up!"
[OOC] WC GM: In that case, Sam has first init!
Sam Spade: "Well, I have to say it's certainly a pleasure to meet you!"
Sam Spade puts her hand to her lips and blows a kiss at Arceus. Sweet Kiss!
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20: 11 (11) (AC 6, -3 to Arceus's Evasion.)
[OOC] WC GM: Hits.
[OOC] WC GM: To speed things up: Areceus's evasions are all +4.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Copy that, but they're +1 till Sam goes again~
Sam Spade: "Chicklet, focus on…him!"
Arceus: "I HAVE ANTICIPATED THIS BATTLE AS WELL." Gravity spikes a bit, lowering Arceus to the plane of gravity. It definitely seems that no one will go flying off.
[OOC] WC GM: Gravity: field is Warped for 5 turns. No moves that involve being airborne; no immunity to Ground stuff for Flying pokemon; all AC rolls get +2.
[OOC] WC GM: Amaterasu is next! Though, the rest of the round is party's turns.
Linnea: "Neat."
Max Thorn: "All right. Step lively, Amaterasu, and give him an Ember!"
Amaterasu rolled up 1d20+2 2d8+26: 5 (7) 37 (3 8) (AC 2+2, Burn on 18+)
Max Thorn: "…Huh. Giving us a mulligan, eh?"
Arceus: "AS YOU SAY, 'LEVELING THE FIELD'."
The ember connects solidly!
[OOC] WC GM: Gervais!
Sam Spade: "It's a test, Max. A challenge. If he wanted us to lose, we lose."
Max Thorn: "Well, yes, but nothing about that requires him to make it easier on us."
Sam Spade: "…If he fights us without holding back, we lose."
Gervais sizes up Arceus, almost taken aback. Almost. He rushes forward, skidding to a halt as he strikes with his hind legs! [Double Kick]
Sam Spade: "If he knocks us away from the rocket, we die."
Esme rolled up 1d20+1 1d20+1: 18 (17) 20 (19) (AC 3)
Max Thorn: "This isn't 'holding back', this is 'giving us a benefit'."
[OOC] Esme: God I hate how double strike works but hey great
[OOC] Esme: Hustle gives him a -2 penalty to physical accuracy
Esme rolled up 2d6+38: 44 (5 1) (FIGHTAN DAMAGE)
The kicks plough on in - yes, Arceus is Normal type just now.
Shaymin readies a move!
Arceus gives Shaymin a look.
Shaymin hops off of Max's shoulder and backs off. "Right, right, you're testing them, sorry I got carried away…"
[OOC] WC GM: Max!
[OOC] Sam Spade: =|
Max Thorn taps a foot; Amaterasu picks up the beat, of course. [Agility Orders]
[OOC] WC GM: Miator, then Chicklet, then Esme, then Linnea.
Miator lets out a thoughtful hum - her magic draws it out, turning it into layers of warding that she can snap out at a moment's notice. [Lucky Chant]
[OOC] WC GM: Chicklet!
Chicklet likes the way Gervais thinks. Double Kick!
Chicklet rolled up 1d20+1+2 1d20+1+2: 9 (6) 15 (12) (vs AC4(w/EVA))
Chicklet rolled up 2d8+16+28: 52 (1 7) (Fighting/Def)
Anyone who's paying attention to Max may notice by now that his orange hair's slowly turning green…
Chicklet's kicks sink in a little more deeply. Anything Gervais can do, Chicklet can do better?
[OOC] WC GM: Esme!
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yeah, probably not.
Arceus actually seems Injured.
Esme takes a breath, then carefully patterns herself as she makes her approach. Essence forms in her hands, taking shape-Is that an Arbok? Huh! She strikes ahead, the energy snake attempting to sink in its fangs! [Bane]
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 19 (17) (AC 3)
Esme rolled up 2d10+32: 36 (1 3)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Emphasis on 'seems.' This is Arceus.
[OOC] Esme: Poison! Special. Loses a Tick of HP for the next 3 turns. -2 Penalty to all save checks.
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea's turn!
Linnea raises her hands into the air, drawing in beams of moonlight - they circle her, armor her, changing her form. Finishing her transformation, she hurls the leftover light beams at Arceus with all her might! (Shift: Enchanting Transformation, Standard: Moonblast)
Linnea rolled up 1d20+2: 14 (12) (-1 Sp.Atk on 15+)
Linnea rolled up 3d12+30: 45 (5 5 5) (Fairy/Spec)
There is the hint of a smile in Arceus's voice. "SO! YOU HAVE EVEN DISCOVERED HOW TO USE THAT TYPE."
[OOC] WC GM: Round 2! Sam!
Sam Spade: "Alright! Good work, Chicklet. Stay focused, keep on your feet!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Focused Training.
Linnea: "I'm a sorceress. I can do near anything I put mind and effort to."
Arceus shifts, features becoming…pink? The party barely has time to process this before an equally pink energy sphere rockets forth from Arceus to detonate in their midst, expanding to scorch everyone!
WC GM rolled up 1d20: 2 (2)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Orrrr~
Linnea: "Type shifting!"
…or would have, except it bounces off the force plane and off into space.
Sam Spade: "Wha-holy!"
[OOC] WC GM: When Daily moves fail…but still, Smite.
WC GM rolled up 4d10+31: 52 (10 5 4 2) (Fairy-type damage; everyone resists this by one step more than usual)
[OOC] Esme: ouchies
[OOC] WC GM: I doubt this KOs anyone.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Chicklet: 53/72. Momentum 5.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sam: 83/104.
[OOC] Esme: Esme: 77/94, Gerv: 64/74
[OOC] Linnea: Lin: 79/102, Mia: 76/82
[OOC] Max Thorn: 34/56 [Amaterasu], 74/95 [Max]
Sam Spade: "Though I suppose…"
[OOC] WC GM: Anyway, Amaterasu!
Max Thorn: "Amaterasu, give him some gas!"
Amaterasu nods, then sends forth some Smog!
Amaterasu rolled up 1d20+2 1d6+23: 21 (19) 29 (6) (Poison on even AC roll.)
Now the smog seems to dig in…though it does not seem to do much.
[OOC] WC GM: Gervais!
Gervais hops backwards with a grin, launching a flurry of spines! [Poison Sting]
Esme rolled up 1d20+1: 7 (6) (AC 2)
Esme rolled up 1d8+41: 44 (3) (Poison, Physical!)
If Arceus was not Injured before, that definitely applies now.
[OOC] WC GM: Max!
Max Thorn: "Keep up the good work, Amaterasu!" [Agility Orders]
[OOC] WC GM: Miator!
Miator conjures a ball of blue flames, juggling it telekinetically a few moments before hurling it at Arceus! [Will-O-Wisp]
Linnea rolled up 1d20+2: 4 (2) (AC 5)
Arceus is still reeling back from Gervais's attack enough that the blue flames pass right overhead - barely.
[OOC] WC GM: Chicklet!
Chicklet hesitates, then darts around Arceus, a cloud of flames following and starting to spin in a tight vortex! Fire Spin!
Chicklet rolled up 1d20+5 4d10+10+14: 10 (5) 48 (5 1 9 9) (AC 4(8))
[OOC] Sam Spade: Vortex~
Flames enshroud Arceus!
[OOC] WC GM: Esme!
…but the flames soon burst away.
[OOC] WC GM: Magic Guard: immune to Vortex.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Aww~
[OOC] WC GM: At least the HP loss.
Esme holds up a yellow shard. "N-not to be impertinent…" She crunches it between her teeth. "…but you did call me a tamperer in your domain…" In moments, her aura flares, flashing between yellows and browns-before settling on a brilliant silver. "So h-here's some wares?" It gathers in her palm, before exploding outward in a shower of light! [JUDGEMENT]
[OOC] Sam Spade: Just gonna have to settle for 48-SDEF damage.
[OOC] WC GM: The rest of Vortex applies.
Esme rolled up 1d20+2: 4 (2) (Chessa I swear to god)
[OOC] Esme: HAHAHA
[OOC] Esme: Well Smite is still a thing
Esme's attack bounces off into space just like Arceus's.
Esme rolled up 3d8+28: 36 (1 5 2) (Steel, Special but resisted one step further)
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea!
Linnea reaches out to grab a piece of moonlight, charging it up with magical force before again hurling it Arceus's way - it detonates in a [Dazzling Gleam] of light!
Linnea rolled up 1d20+2: 18 (16) (-1 Acc on evens)
Linnea rolled up 3d8+30: 41 (4 2 5)
[OOC] WC GM: Round 3! Sam!
Sam Spade: "Hit him as hard as you can, Chicklet! You too, Gervais! Even if he is such a cutie…" ((Ravager Orders on Chicklet and Gervais, Quick Wit to use Baby Doll Eyes on Arceus.))
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20: 11 (11) (AC 2+4.)
[OOC] Sam Spade: -2 Attack and no criticals for 1 round.
Arceus: "GOOD. THIS IS GOOD. NOW."
[OOC] Sam Spade: …Reckless Advance.
Arceus glows pink. Is yet another Judgment inbound?
Arceus: "USE YOUR POWER. SHAPE THE WORLD. DISCOVER WHAT WAS MEANT TO BE!"
Arceus glows brighter…and then is gone. So, moments later, is gravity. Fortunately the air is still there for the moment.
Sam Spade grabs Max's tether.
Esme blinks
Linnea: "Uh."
Sam Spade: "Chicklet! Come back!"
Sam Spade tags Chicklet with a pokeball, then yanks on the ship end of the cord, headed towards the hatch as fast as is safe.
Linnea also returns Miator, high-tailing it with the rest back to the ship. Easy come, easy go?
Esme: "Good job Gervy, but you're not a floater." She beams Gervais back into his ball, before releasing and grabbing onto Lucrece again. "Back the ship!"
Max Thorn looks around. Is Shaymin still around?
[OOC] WC GM: +100 pokemon XP each. Let's just say, Arceus gets a significance factor greater than 1.
Shaymin is indeed still there, floating, watching.
Max Thorn: "So, you've seen us in action. Anything else you want to see…?"
Max Thorn gently nudges Amaterasu back through the airlock and into the ship, but is otherwise waiting for any last words from the legendary.
Shaymin: "Yes!"
Max Thorn tilts his head. "What more, then…?"
Shaymin: "I want to see you comfort the sea. I want to see how you deal with the boiling ghosts. I want to see you fix the islands where the sea's heart lays." Shaymin's gaze rests on Esme and Linnea for a moment. "And I want to see how you deal with their homes."
Max Thorn nods. "Everything in my power to do, I will. You have my word on that."
Linnea: "Intriguing…"
Shaymin: "Even better. I know your heart. I know I have your heart on it."
Shaymin: "I trust you."
Esme grimaces slightly. "Home, huh."
Shaymin: "…you might want to ask her about it. You have some time."
Max Thorn 's lips twitch into a grin to brighten the universe. "Quite. Let's be off, then." He uses his tether to launch himself back into the rocket, with a parting wave.
Once all are inside, the distortion around the rocket dissipates, and Shaymin is nowhere to be seen.
The rocket's monitors beep back to life, one by one.
Max Thorn: "All right. Let's get back out of these suits and back home."
So, in due time, does the radio.
Jenny: "Professor! Look!"
Dmitri: "What…wait, wait…signal's back…THEY'RE ALIVE!"
Laughing and cheering comes from the radio.
Max Thorn activates the mic. "You wouldn't believe what we were up to while we were incommunicado."
Dmitri: "Looks like your cameras were recording, just not transmitting - apparently not even to your monitors. We're downloading telemetr-"
The cheering falls dead silent.
Linnea: "…"
Dmitri: "You. What. I."
Jenny: "These readings say you fought Arceus."
Esme: "Oui!"
Max Thorn: "We did."
More silence from the radio.
Esme: "I should've pokedexed him, but we were all caught up in the moment."
Sam Spade: "…Crap."
Max Thorn: "Hello? Are you still there?"
Tim: "Professor, even if they didn't catch Petri, does fighting Arceus count as a gym challenge?"
Dmitri: "…yes. Yes it does."
Max Thorn: "About that…"
Max Thorn: "…Shaymin caught her. She's doing penance for her crimes."
Max Thorn: "We'll, ah, run into her in Gaela."
Esme squints.
Tim: "Gaela? Then we'll need to get you transportation."
Esme: "What happened to your hair?"
Max Thorn: "…Got a mirror?"
Esme pulls out a compact, and faces it towards Max.
Max Thorn: "…Huh. Probably a side effect from when Shaymin pawed at my cheek."
Sam Spade: "Is that even poss-well. Legendary."
Max Thorn: "They've done stranger things."
Esme looks herself over. Checking…good. No green. No pinks. Not contagious, so far.
Linnea: "Maybe you got magicked?"
Dmitri: "Just a hunch, but…could someone pokedex Max?"
Max Thorn: "Well, I mean, I *did* get touched by a legendary."
Sam Spade hesitates, then…pokedex's Max.
Pokedex: "Weak signal detected; results may be inaccurate. Shaymin. It can dissolve toxins in the air to instantly transform ruined land into a lush field of flowers."
Linnea: "…huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh."
Linnea: "Neat!"
Linnea: "You've been Shayminned."
Sam Spade: "…Is that…good? Bad?"
Linnea: "You're a real Shayman now."
Linnea straightfaces.
Esme coughs.
Max Thorn playfully swats Lin's shoulder for that.
Linnea cackles.
Max Thorn: "Anyway."
Max Thorn pokes at the rocket's controls, turning it around and aiming it back home.
The controls are unresponsive.
Max Thorn: "…"
It looks like autopilot is still locked in, with roughly another orbit and a half - a bit over two hours - until landing.
Max Thorn: "Well. We've got another two hours up here, it looks like."
Max Thorn: "So. Esmé. Tell me about your home."
Max Thorn: "I need to know everything, or as much as you can share, to do the work I need to do."
Esme is conveniently writing up notes all of a sudden. "Hm? It's a swamp."
Max Thorn: "Natural or man-made? Is it healthy wetlands, or has human activity damaged it?"
Esme: "Pretty heavy industrial presence, probably a bit too much. I didn't really live in the… uh, metropolitan parts."
Max Thorn hmms. "Then I'm going to guess there's a fair amount of environmental pollution, given Shaymin's interest."
Esme: "Where I lived was mostly alright, but we also worked to keep it that way. Maintaining the Rites, and all that."
Max Thorn: "Rites, huh…? Could you tell me about those, please?"
Esme rubs her chin.
Esme: "Maybe?"
Esme: "You remember how I usually introduce myself, correct?"
Sam Spade shakes her head from the porthole where it is currently located.
Sam Spade: "Not really, no. So much has happened…"
Esme sighs. "Esme Duval, of the Fontaine-Duval Estate. There's two parts to my family. The Fontaines half basically maintains all our relations with the public world. The Duvals, we uphold the Rites of Long Passing. A really, /really/ old tradition of mysticism."
Max Thorn nods, tapping notes into his own pokédex. "Go on…?"
Sam is able to get a good view of the planet, passing by so far below.
Esme: "It's pretty simple, reverence for the forces of death and decay. While many would turn their nose up at them or view them as unpleasantries, instead embracing the understanding of how vital they are to nature. All things must come to an end, so that new beginnings may flourish- you get the idea."
Max Thorn: "Well, quite. Nature is rife with examples of such."
Esme: "There's far more to it, but through that understanding we form bonds with the local pokemon and cultivate-keep balance in the area so that it doesn't stray too far from one end of the other."
Max Thorn: "Ah! That's…I think that's what Shaymin's asking me to investigate, then."
Esme: "…and in doing so tap into our own elemental nature and the whole magic thing."
Esme: "Though the rest of my family is far more traditionalist than me. More like Lin, in that regard."
Esme: "Pretty sure I saw Meme turn into a puddle once. Not really my thing."
Linnea: "That sounds incredibly awkward."
Max Thorn: "Hm. Anything you think I'd need to know beyond all that, then?"
Esme: "For now. Like everywhere, there's a fairly heavy Jaeger presence." She looks worried, scratching the back of her head. "Part of why I ended up leaving were the rumors about Sandbar and how they were picking up people who weren't exactly 'normal'."
Max Thorn: "Yeah. My parents went into hiding for much the same reason."
Esme: "While we have some stock in the industry around there, I'd say most of your issues and my issues probably go hand in hand."
Max Thorn nods, then turns to Lin. "How 'bout you…?"
Esme: "But other than that…It's great! So many precious gooeys everywhere!"
Linnea stares out the window. "Feels…odd, being tasked with investigating and clearing out a particularly little patch of land, compared to all this."
Linnea: "Except, you know…it all fits together in one way or another. And we end up working to keep all of…this…our home."
Esme takes a seat, leaning back in a bit of exhaustion.
Linnea: "I wonder how many others are out there, being tasked with missions of similar importance? We can't be the only ones, and it's not just all Jaggers and Stormclods out there."
Esme: "Feels odd being tasked with anything after God asks you to punch them in the face."
Sam Spade grins at Esme.
Sam Spade: "That was fun, though."
Max Thorn: "Something my mother was fond of saying… Arceus works through the hands of humans. I would add, all of the legendaries do. Each in our own way."
Linnea: "It was. Though, uh…maybe it was a test."
Linnea: "Though, I'm glad we didn't fail to be dumped into space or whatever."
Sam Spade: "Oh, it was obviously and totally a test. …Or did you mean maybe we didn't do right by agreeing?"
Max Thorn: "They're not always free to act, after all. And sometimes we humans, idiots that we are, render them unable."
Linnea: "You know…"
Linnea: "Some say that the gods act through us. Now, you can say what you want about omnipotence or not, but it still takes a lot of power to be able to consider the entirety of the world you created. So by working through humans and other such mortals…you'll always have a myriad of perspectives about how your world is growing and changing."
Sam Spade: "Really, though…"
Sam Spade: "…If there's one thing to be laid at the feet of those who started the MewTwo wars, it's breaking the balance."
Linnea: "No kidding."
Sam Spade: "I don't think that they were quite so well-bound before that."
Sam Spade searches the globe for familiar lands.
Max Thorn: "Mmm. I think a lot of it is that there's such a power imbalance between them and the world that being involved directly would squish everyone involved like a bug."
Max Thorn: "Be like trying to crack open an egg with a sledgehammer."
Sam Spade: "Yeah, but there were plenty of lesser divinities in play…till people started capturing them, and making souped-up duplicates."
Linnea: "I don't like where this is going, no…"
Esme: "They aren't very good at the subtlety thing, though I suppose that comes with the territory."
Sam manages to catch fleeting sight of Amoda and Dojji far below. Another orbit to go.
Linnea: "I only hope that in the future, we do not act with such irrationality that one is forced to crack eggs with sledgehammers."
Sam Spade: "Speaking of which, any idea what we should be doing about-wait. Is the microphone still on? Dmitri, can you hear me? Tim?"
Max Thorn: "That's what we're here for, Lin: being the fine pick that gently cracks the egg without destroying utterly the contents of it."
Linnea: "Mm…"
Linnea: "I mean, after us… but it'd be better to focus on now, yeah…"
Dmitri: "We're still here. What's up?"
Sam Spade: "Nothing, just got nervous for a second. How are things with Haroun?"
Sam Spade: "Sorry neither Captain Jenny nor Haroun will be getting Professor Petri today."
Sam Spade grimaces, but isn't going to ask what the group should do with Ten with Jaegers listening. ESPECIALLY TIM.
Tim: "Haroun's out getting ready to take on Team Stormcloud. I hope they'll just go away once they learn Petri's not here."
Sam Spade: "Hard to say, with Stormderp."
Max Thorn: "Wonder if we could convince 'em to go scour Dojji."
Sam Spade: "If someone manages to convince them that Petri isn't at the University, they might leave. Or they might decide there's some other abomination against pokekind and attack anyway."
Tim: "Actually, I'm hoping they'll build a boat we can hijack."
Sam Spade: "Or of course they may say 'bah, it's humans and so-called tame pokemon who are telling us-' oooooh."
Sam Spade: "That…"
Sam Spade gets a decidedly evil grin on her face.
Max Thorn: "As in, direct 'em toward Gaela?"
Sam Spade: "Yessss."
Sam Spade: "The best lie is the truth, after all."
Max Thorn: "I'm kinda curious to see what Shaymin did with her, myself."
[OOC] WC GM: Alright, all done in space? Fast forward to landing?
[OOC] Esme: On da ground
[OOC] Linnea: do et
[OOC] Max Thorn: Works for me.
The party drifts along. Space, once you get used to it, can actually be a little boring for all the literally nothing there is up here.
Eventually, without warning, the rocket turns and shudders, the false gravity of deceleration returning.
Dmitri: "You should return to your seats now."
Sam Spade does so with some alacrity.
Max Thorn 's already in his own seat, and Amaterasu is, of course, inside her ball.
Esme startles awake. "Bwuh?!"
It takes a few minutes before deceleration gets serious, this rocket having such an efficient engine it was designed to retro-burn rather than use aerobraking.
Even so, the rocket does rattle as the air thickens outside. Cameras give a view of the approaching clouds, then of Amoda below. It almost seems random where you will land - hitting a spaceport from orbit is like hitting the top of a mountain whose base is beyond the horizon.
But, through a miracle long practiced, the rocket does home in on the spaceport, and the landing pad, coming to rest exactly where it took off from.
Shortly after landing, there sound the clangs and clanks of the gantry reattaching, then the airlock door swings open on automatic.
Max Thorn disembarks. Whew, what a ride. "Best. Amusement park ride. Ever."
The party had not noticed the air inside the rocket getting a bit musty, but the sudden influx of fresh air is hard to miss.
Linnea: "Spaaaaaaaaaace."
So is the applause from outside.
Linnea: "Though, it's amazing being back hom-"
Linnea: "Oh, hi."
Max Thorn steps out, blinking in the sunlight…
Sam Spade takes one tentative step after another, till she finds her footing once more.
Dimitri, Tim, Jenny, and several university types are on hand to greet the party. Aside from Tim (and arguably the party) there are no Jaegers in sight.
Esme: "We're back!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Nah, we're not Jaggies. We're on their recruiting path, but well shy of the yes/no phase.
The other two Nurse Joys from the pokemon center step forward to offer assistance to any of the party who stagger. The mohawked Nurse Joy is apparently still busy at the storage facility.
[OOC] WC GM: Some of them consider you already "yes"ed.
Max Thorn: "Kinda wish Jack had been here for this rockety ride."
[OOC] Sam Spade: That would be THEIR problem~
Sam Spade: "I miss Anna. I wonder what she'd have thought of that."
Sam Spade: "…Especially meeting…you know."
Max Thorn: "Indeed."
Linnea: "Eh?"
Esme: "Given how many we've run into at this point he'll probably stumble into a few on his own, knowing him. Boy can't sit still."
Max Thorn: "True."
Once the entire party is out, Dmitri steps forward. "As you have completed our gym challenge in legendary fashion, it is my pleasure to present you all with the Astro Badge!" He hands over a white-on-black starburst-with-starfields badge, glimmering in the sunlight to a level that can only properly be called "shiny" , along with 8 1,000-pokeyen coins surrounding the badge, each.
Max Thorn pockets the coins and sockets the badge into his case. "I'm honoured."
Esme does likewise. "Merci!"
Linnea lets out a low whistle. "Dang…"
Sam Spade: "Thank you!"
[OOC] WC GM: +1 trainer level for badge obtainment
[OOC] WC GM: Since we had a hard stop around now, anyone mind if we logend there?
[OOC] Max Thorn: Works for me.
[OOC] Esme: sure

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License