Session 71

If ever there was a pastoral scene, the orchard just below the university's grounds is at least a contender. Calm, peaceful, pokemon and people moving here and there in the far distance but certainly far from an urban scene.
Linnea: "Whoa, this is real nice…"
A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of the berry trees - and now that the party is there, further from the road they can see other kinds of fruit trees too.
Tiny little earthquakes precede a THUMP THUMP THUMP signal a large venusaur, barely able to fit between the trees, trundling toward the party. "You there!"
Linnea: "Sup?"
Sam Spade: "Hello!"
Linnea gives a friendly wave.
Venusaur: "Slakes said you wish to gather shards?"
Linnea: "That's right."
Esme: "Mmhm!"
Linnea indicates her dowsing equipment.
Venusaur: "Follow me. I'll take you to a fallow field." He - you think, given the bass gravelly voice - trundles away.
Esme: "Looks like the grow all types out here. Been awhile since I've seen a proper berry farm."
Venusaur: "That we do! We have to: all types of pokemon eat from our bounty."
It is a bit of a hike. By the time the venusaur stops, only trees are visible in any direction. The party can tell they are on the eastern side, pokedex maps aside, since it is afternoon and the sun is just starting to slide behind the hill.
Sam Spade: "VERY fallow."
The venusaur snorts. "As regards shards. Really, in a sense you're weeding for me."
Venusaur: "Anyway, we're here. Do your thing."
Esme cracks her knuckles, and pulls out her rods. "Let's see what we got. Should be green, he said?"
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 4 3 6 6 1 5 5 1 3 6 6 2 6 1 5 5 2 4 5 4 4 1 5 2 5 1 (16 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 1 1 1 3 4 2 5 2 6 2 5 6 2 2 4 3 (6 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 3 3 1 3 5 6 6 2 3 4 4 5 3 3 3 1 (6 explosions)
The venusaur nods, leveraging his entire body fast enough to create a barely-perceptible breeze. "Green's what usually comes from these fields, aye."
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 2 4 6 5 5 3 5 6 4 4 5 3 6 4 2 6 1 5 3 (13 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 2 6 4 1 3 4 1 1 3 (3 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 4: 3 6 2 2 5 5 2 4 4 1 2 (5 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 6 6 1 6 6 4 5 5 6 3 6 3 1 5 2 5 (6 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 3 3 2 2 3 6 1 6 6 6 4 3 6 5 2 (5 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 3 6 3 5 5 4 5 5 2 2 2 (1 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 5 1 6 2 1 3 4 (1 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 4 5 3 5 6 5 3 (1 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 1 5 5 6 3 1 3 (1 explosions)
Esme manages to scrounge up 24 green shards, nearly doubling what she had on hand. "Oh ho!"
Linnea has a small hoard of 11 shards. "Hmm…I admire your hunting skills."
The venusaur reaches up with a vine and snatches three big, fist-sized apples, handing one each to Sam and Max before munching on the third.
Sam Spade: "Oooh, thank you!"
Venusaur: "Here. It's not popcorn, but it's healthier."
Sam Spade gives the venusaur a quick hug, then starts munching on an apple.
The apple is slightly sweeter than usual for an apple.
Esme: "Definitely some fertile land out here, but makes sense given the remoteness."
Venusaur: "Much further out and you get to homes. Not everymon likes cities."
Venusaur: "So. If you don't mind me asking, you being from Amoda where there are more humans…"
Sam Spade looks at the venusaur, nothing but curiosity on her face.
The venusaur eyes the party. "Is it true you're Urban-type?" The party can hear his capitalization. "Kind of like normal, but neutral even to Fighting and Ghosts?"
Sam Spade blinks
Linnea grins. "Urban and magical."
Sam Spade: "You know, I don't know if anyone has ever figured that out."
Esme: "I'm trying to, actually!"
Venusaur: "Magi-oh! So Magical is a type? Is there a Technological type too, or is that Science type?"
Sam Spade flops back on the grass.
Linnea: "Heh, ask Esme."
Esme: "Strictly speaking, we're Typeless, though it's not uncommon for people to have their affinities." She thumbs to Max and Linnea "Like the two Fairy-a-likes over here."
Sam Spade: "My mind is blown."
Linnea: "Yo."
Venusaur: "And - I've heard about pokeballs; are there…err…'humaballs' too?"
Venusaur: "If that's something I can ask about."
Linnea: "I've heard it's possible, though extremely uncommon…and unsavory."
Esme: "Mmmmostly no."
Sam Spade: "Would make transportation easier, though."
Linnea: "Or imprisonment."
Venusaur: "I see, I see. And…are humans raised for their task? Like, are trainers raised and trained to become trainers?"
Linnea: "In a manner of speaking…"
Linnea: "We are raised with general purpose education, and then some of us specialize."
Venusaur: "Hmm. So it *DOES* all cycle around, then? Humans training pokemon training humans?"
Esme: "Yeah, not everyone becomes a Trainer."
Linnea: "Huh. I guess it does."
Venusaur: "I see. Thank you. I had hoped it was like that."
Venusaur: "Anyway. If you're done, I'll lead you back to town now."
Linnea: "Thank you very much!"
The venusaur trundles, stomping gently back the way the party came - when suddenly the ground gives way! At first it looks like a sinkhole, but then it rapidly expands downhill, into a landslide.
Linnea: "What-"
[OOC] WC GM: Athletics, Acrobatics, or similar for everyone.
Linnea rolled up 4d6: 12 (3 1 2 6) (Acrobatics)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Focus work?
[OOC] WC GM: Sure, though higher difficulty.
Sam Spade keeps her eyes on the target, finds a rock that's not going to sink too much, and hops on it.
Sam Spade rolled up 6d6: 14 (1 1 1 5 4 2) (Focus)
Esme rolled up 4d6+1: 19 (6 5 5 2) (Athletics)
The party manages to hop from rock to rock and avoid any injuries. The massive venusaur, not so much.
With a CRASH, the party lands in a cloud of dust in a forest at the bottom of a cliff. Looking back up, it is obvious the orchard was undermined, likely by the gang of small-to-medium-sized pokemon emerging from the woods, apparently lead by a knife-wielding leering simisage.
Sam Spade runs over to the venusaur. "Hey, are you alright?"
The venusaur slowly gets to his feet, wincing. "Oww…these old bones can't take much more of…" His eyes open. "YOU! What do you ruffians want?"
Esme dusts herself off. "That was a tumble."
Simisage: "You're late on your payment, old farmer. Bad things might start to…" The simisage licks a blade and waggles eyebrows. "…'happen'."
Linnea raises an eyebrow, and makes a motion toward her throwing knife.
Venusaur: "I told you, the fruit is for everyone. Take what you want and don't bother me."
Sam Spade: "But what he wants is control."
Sam Spade: "If the fruit is free to take, then he can eat as much as he wants."
Sam Spade: "But so can anyone else."
Sam Spade hesitates.
Sam Spade: "Or is it she?"
The simisage smiles at Sam. "Ohhh, a SMART human! And it's 'she'. I laid my eggs, now I gots to feed 'em, you see."
A pansear and a panpour step forth in unison at the simisage's comment, as if suggesting they are the children in question.
Sam Spade: "Okay, thanks. Where was I?"
Sam Spade: "Oh, right! So, if she can take as much food as she wants, she can lay some by for her eggs. But that's not what she wants."
Sam Spade: "She wants the ability to deprive other people of food."
Sam Spade: "There's power in that, power and control."
Sam Spade: "It's dumb, but."
Esme winds her shoulder. "Real dumb."
Sam Spade: "In a way it's kinda reassuring though?"
Sam Spade: "I mean sometimes I feel like humanity's only contribution is banditry, but then we get to see pokethugs, too?"
Sam Spade: "So thank you for that."
Sam Spade bows deeply to the simisage.
Judging by her expression, the simisage is entirely nonplussed by Sam's words.
Sam Spade lets the evil grin flash on her face, but fade out before she stands.
Venusaur: "She's just lonely because she didn't have the guts to go with the Stormclouds."
Esme grimaces.
Sam Spade: "SO THEY ARE FROM HERE!"
Simisage: "H-hey! I told you, I have a family to take care of!"
Sam Spade: "Is that pichu from here, or was he a local recruit?"
Sam Spade: "And if so, what's his name?"
Simisage: "'That pichu'?" She snarls. "'THAT PICHU'?!?" She slashes the air with her knife. "I will THANK you not to talk of the FATHER of my CHILDREN that way!"
Sam Spade: "Well I don't know his name yet, so how else can I talk about him?"
Simisage: "His name? Call him 'Pichu'. He doesn't need another name."
Sam Spade: "Alright, fair enough."
Esme: "Huh. Same Egg group."
Sam Spade: "I think I'm gonna give him back the fanart he gave me, only autographed."
Venusaur: "Hey. Psst." He leans his head toward Esme and Mokura. "When talking to folks like this, do you ever get the inclination to apply your vines to your forehead to shield youself from the stupidity?"
Sam Spade: "To Pichu, thank you for thinking so highly of my abilities. Samantha."
Sam Spade: "What do you think? Would he like it?"
Linnea: "Pretty much."
The simisage just vibrates with anger, growling.
Sam Spade: "Because I really hope he doesn't, he's kind of an asshole."
Linnea: "But as much as it pains me, it's usually better to observe the situation before taking action."
The venusaur nods at Linnea. "Yes, that's usually what works best. That, and a phone call in this case."
Venusaur: "Just stall for time."
Simisage: "I can HEAR you, old mon."
Linnea: "Mmhm."
Sam Spade: "So why did Pichu abandon you and your kids?"
Simisage: "He didn't abandon us. He'll be back. But he had a cause, and I support him as best I can!"
Sam Spade: "I mean to be fair, it seemed like his friends don't like him much either. I think they actually threw him in front of that blast."
Simisage: "…he has that effect sometimes." She pouts. "Even I've thrown him in front of a hyper beam…twice."
Linnea: "How is he so damn tough?"
Sam Spade: "A pichu dad? Probably because he's held off on evolving into a pikachu."
Sam Spade: "What do you think? Would he be a raichu by now if he had the ambition?"
Simisage: "Training. Like being thrown in front of a hyper beam. Mostly he's just headstrong, though." She sighs wistfully. "Anything he wants, he just keeps going for. That's how he wore me down and got my love."
Esme: "I'd probably find that endearing if it weren't for that whole explosion thing."
Esme: "I'm /still/ mad about that."
Simisage: "Ha! Sounds like he'll have some tales to tell when he gets home. In the mean time…" She points her blade at the party, and waves with her other hand. At least twenty sources of motion stir in the forest; apparently the gang knows how to hide. "Money. Now."
The venusaur whispers, "Just a few more minutes. Help is on the way."
Esme sighs. "You really don't wanna go."
Linnea: "Are you entirely sure you want to do that?"
Linnea: "You have no idea who we are or what we're capable of."
Linnea: "Don't be a dummy."
Simisage: "Oh yeah? Then who are yas?"
Linnea: "We are, shall we say, not from around here."
Esme: "Also-" She counts on her fingers. "Lugia's Champion, Meloetta's Chosen, Shaymin's Messiah, and…a damn good detective who may or may not have superpowers!"
Linnea: "Gosh, Esme, I was trying to be -humbly- powerful. But very well."
Sam Spade: "I almost certainly don't have superpowers."
Sam Spade: "Probably."
Esme: "We do that all the time though! I'm trying not to get stabbed or set anything ablaze today."
The simisage falters. "Ch…you…you're bluffing!"
Linnea draws her knife, which seems to take upon an eerie glow. It hums ominously.
Linnea: "Are we?"
Simisage: "Of course you are. Ha! Chosen? Champions? And so many HERE? Even Ignacia was lying about-"
The venusaur growls menacingly. "Don't you profane Ignacia's name! Don't you dare!"
Sam Spade pulls her shades off and glares at the Simisage, but then puts them back on after hearing the venusaur's words.
Simisage: "If you're all Champions, you got any proof?"
Linnea: "Depends. Do you feel like turning into a smoking hole in the ground?"
Linnea shrugs carelessly.
Esme rubs her chin. "Well I'm still pretty new to the Lugia thing…Though I did figure out how to shoot flames the other day, and I was wondering what was up with that."
Esme: "Oh!" She unclasps the Ghost Plate from her belt. "Does this count?"
Simisage: "What is…" She blinks, and her eyes go wide. "…that…that's a tool of Arceus!"
Linnea shows off the Fairy Plate.
Linnea: "That's right."
The simisage coils up. "You…you STOLE from ARCEUS and you wave it in our faces?!?"
Linnea grins wickedly. They haven't, but she was going to milk this for all it was worth.
Linnea: "I dunno buddy, what do you think?"
Sam Spade: "Dude."
Sam Spade: "Who do you think *TOLD US TO COME HERE?*"
Esme: "Nah nah, I made these myself. He gave me the thumbs up though."
Simisage: "…you're lying."
Sam Spade: "And you've put all your faith in a pichu whose friends throw him in front of Hyper Beams. Do you have any to spare?"
Esme squats down, and begins to empty out her bag. "Non non! See? Grass, Ice, Bug…Electric, Dragon…I though I had another though…"
Simisage: "You're lying thieves and-"
The sound is utterly familiar to the party, and yet utterly alien to here. The faint but growing wee-ooo wee-ooo of an approaching police siren, echoed…no, not echoed. Multiple sources, coming in from the direction of town.
Sam Spade: "Dude."
Sam Spade: "You came here to threaten someone for money."
Sam Spade: "So you could feed your kids when food is freely available."
Sam Spade: "You are a thief, who lies."
Linnea: "And I mean."
Linnea: "I don't suppose it really matters if we're lying now, huh?"
The simisage's eyes grow wide for a moment, then narrow. "Lucky. We'll talk again someday. Everyone, RETREAT!" She hops back into the forest, followed by her children. The other sources of motion stop rustling the leaves.
Linnea: "Yeah, okay, bye."
Moments later, the sun temporarily blacks out as a swarm of fliers passes overhead.
Sam Spade: "Did anyone else want to punch her in the face?"
Sam Spade: "Mind you I'm not good at doing that with my fists, which is why I started with words early and didn't stop."
One of them peels off to head down - it is a green arcanine, the exact same shade as an Officer Jenny's hair, riding a metang outfitted with police lights. "Is everyone alright?"
Linnea: "The 'saur might be a little roughed up. We're all fine though."
Esme starts putting things away. "Our big friend here took a bit of a fall, but we're alright."
Arcanine: "It was that gang again, wasn't it?"
Linnea: "Well, a gang. Maybe not that one."
Even the arcanine's voice sounds like a Jenny's. It is a fair guess this one is a she, at least.
Sam Spade: "A simisage and her associates? Yeah, probably."
Sam Spade: "Huh. You sound just like Officer Jenny."
Arcanine: "Yeah, that's the - oh." She blinks. "Oh, hey! You're those visitors from Amoda, aren't you?"
Sam Spade: "Yeah, we are!"
Linnea: "Sup?"
The arcanine bows. "Name's Jennine. Heh - I grew up a fan of tales of your Officer Jennies. I…hope this doesn't come off as cosplay to you." She gestures to her fur. Looking close, the party can see bits of gear hidden in her fur, most notably a headset.
Sam Spade: "No!"
Sam Spade: "You look awesome!"
Jennine blushes a bit, muttering, "Real smooth, Jennine, going on about cosplay at first - aaand now you're talking to yourself too."
Linnea: "That's pretty fantastic."
Jennine blinks, speaking up again. "You really think so?" Her tail wags.
Esme gives a thumbs up.
Sam Spade: "Heck yeah!"
Sam Spade: "And I'm talking as someone who's worked with a *lot* of Officer Jennies."
Jennine: "Um! Ahem! Anyway, business! I'll call in medevac - that's what you call it, right? Medevac for the farmer." She nods at the venusaur. "Most of my team's chasing down the gang, but it would be my honor to escort you back to town."
Venusaur: "I'll be fine. Just a little - ow - bruised, that's all." The venusaur is not standing on any leg.
Jennine rolls her eyes and paws her headset. "Hey, dispatch? Extra large transport, my coordinates. Farmer fell way down on the job. Yeah, potions advised if you have them handy. Thanks!"
Sam Spade: "Sure!"
Sam Spade: "We can swap stories on the way back."
Jennine smiles. "Good thing they just restocked. I heard a supply convoy from Amoda just g-" She blinks. "Wait. You…are you the ones with that wailord in the harbor?"
Linnea: "That'd be us. Maybe a little unusual."
Jennine: "So YOU'RE the wandering medics! Or was that just your friend?"
Linnea: "Some of both."
Jennine: "Is that boy really the son of a Joy? He doesn't look like it."
Sam Spade: "He doesn't talk about his mother much."
Sam Spade wouldn't let butter melt in her mouth.
Jennine: "He operates that machine so well, but I couldn't tell if that was the machine or him. And his companion - uggh, I know it's not their fault they don't learn to speak properly, but I can't help but hear that and think 'barbarian'." She shudders, as her metang ride begins to float back toward town.
Sam Spade: "Honestly, if there was one pokemon in Amoda who could learn to speak, it would be Sands."
Jennine: "So…what's the line on pokeball law in Amoda? I mean, I know a wild pokemon with no attachments can be…caught…but are there rules against separating registered families or something?"
Sam Spade walks for a moment without saying anything. After a moment, she opens her mouth, hesitates another second.
Sam Spade: "No. No there are not."
Sam Spade: "Consequences, sometimes. Not always. But rules, no."
Jennine: "Ooh, I gotcha. The laws just haven't been written yet, but they're enforced?"
Sam Spade: "Wouldn't that be nice?"
Jennine: "Like…what happens if you catch someone who's already been caught?"
Esme: "That one, at the very least, can't happen due to restrictions built into the technology."
Jennine: "Oh?"
Linnea: "Most of the time."
Jennine: "Tell me about these restrictions."
Esme: "W-well…more or less when a pokemon is-" She pauses. "Joins a trainer, the ball makes a registration link to prevent it from being interacted with by other balls."
Jennine: "Oh? Hmm…and what if a pokemon registers as her own trainer?"
Sam Spade blinks, then turns to Jennine and gives her a sly grin.
Sam Spade: "You'd need someone you really trust, I think."
Sam Spade: "But if you had a pokeball, and you pokeballed yourself, and then someone let you out?"
Sam Spade: "And then you buried that pokeball where no one could find it?"
Sam Spade: "…I don't know if you could get captured by anyone else."
Jennine: "Would you need to actually use a pokeball to get registered?"
Esme: "Yeah I'll be honest, I have no idea how that would interact with the PC/Registration System, specifically. That's more Max's thing."
Sam Spade: "And Max headed straight back to the wailord."
Esme: "I only kinda hijacked that for Luc."
Jennine: "I'll look into that. That might make it safe for us to visit Amoda." Her tail wags as her expression turns starry-eyed. "And then maybe I could meet an Officer Jenny!"
Sam Spade pats Jennine on the shoulder.
Sam Spade: "Good luck, Jennine!"
Jennine spits fire into the air - even her fire is green - skywriting, "Hope And Progress!"
Jennine: "My motto for this kind of thing."
Sam Spade: "I like it!"
Linnea: "Ooh, I like that."
Linnea: "Words t'live by."
The forest has been thinning out - enough to permit safe flame-skywriting - and now buildings come into view ahead. The wailord's tail peeks out beyond the coastmost building.
Jennine: "That's your ride over there, right? If you can find your way from here, I have some research to do."
Jennine's metang peels off, a silent chauffeur, carrying her into town.
Sam Spade: "Bye! Good luck! Hope and Progress!"
Esme waves. "That could have gone worse."
Sam Spade: "Very!"
Linnea: "At least they're not as daft as Stormderp."
Sam Spade: "Kinda want to work on something with Chicklet now, though…"
A commotion comes from up ahead, roughly where the wailord is docked.
Sam Spade accelerates.
Esme: "Never a dull moment!"
Linnea follows after Sam.
The street leading to the harbor is packed with pokemon.
At the dock, a second gangway has been set up leading to the pokemon center machine. which Tim furiously operates on one set of patients after another. Wisps of smoke can be seen rising from it. Sands guards the first gangway, making sure nobody boards the wailord except directly to the machine.
Esme: "Oh."
Esme: "That would do it."
The street is completely filled close to the harbor. There seems no way - at least through the street - to get back to the wailord without dislodging pokemon.
Linnea: "Good grief…"
Esme: "Can you blame them?"
Sam Spade: "No, but I don't know how long the machine is going to hold out."
Linnea: "Not really, no."
Linnea: "But if the machine breaks we're going to have a riot on our hands."
Esme peers over the crowd. "Yeah, It's going to need some tuning. It's getting overworked."
Sam Spade: "Linnea, you mind helping me talk the crowd out of rioting while Esme and Max get the machine stabilized?"
Sam Spade: "At least I assume Max is back."
Linnea: "You got it, boss."
Sam Spade: "I sure hope he didn't get lost…"
There is no sign of Max.
Linnea: "I could make more patch medicine if needed, this doesn't seem particularly emergency-like… just a lot of 'mon here."
Sam Spade: "….Esme, will you need help? Because I think he might have gotten lost."
Esme: "Hrmm…Maybe Alexis can give me a lift over."
[OOC] WC GM: If Sam's going to go looking for Max, Focus check.
Sam Spade: "I think Malta can help me cover at least some of that distance."
Sam Spade rolled up 6d6+1: 27 (5 3 6 1 6 5) (Focus)
Sam remembers that the party's pokedexes can share location information. A quick check shows Max's registering from what appears to be a hospital, suggesting he is less "lost" than "shanghaied" .
Esme whistles, and waves up to her Scizor who has been following along overhead. "Hey Lexi!"
[OOC] WC GM: So, flying over the crowd?
Sam Spade: "Linnea, can you get past the crowd do you think, or should I stick with you and try to…rally them from here?"
[OOC] WC GM: Or just Esme flying over?
Linnea: "Honestly I'd feel a lot more at ease along with you, if that's okay."
Alexis pauses in flight, then swoops down to the party. Esme lifts her arms, taking a grab around Alexis' wrists. "Mind carrying me down to the pier to help out Tim?" Alexis begrudgingly abides, somewhat clumsily gliding over with the added weight.
Sam Spade: "Alright. Let's go get ourselves yelled at."
[OOC] Esme: No mountable, but Power 7 and Sky 7 so should be doable
Sam Spade looks around the crowd and finds a reasonably high place where she can get some attention, then heads there.
Linnea follows Sam, unsure of what's going to happen, but figures Sam would find the right sort of words.
Sam Spade: "Oh, hey, Linnea. How many of those healing patches do you have, and how many are you willing to part with?"
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah, for a brief trip like this that's fine.
Linnea: "Fifteen Full Heal patches, fifteen Hyper Potion patches, six Revive patches, and I can always make more. So as many as we need."
Linnea: "It's a lot easier to extend your medicine when you're not in the middle of a heated battle."
Sam Spade: "Alright. Okay, you can do this Sam, this is just like…nothing you've ever done before."
Tim's eyes say it all as Esme lands. Without a word spoken, his whole body pleads, "Help?"
The healing machine is glowing red in places. Esme is fairly certain that never happens under normal conditions.
Sam Spade cups her hands around her mouth to form a megaphone.
Sam Spade: "EXCUSE ME!"
Esme hops down as soon as she is able. "Merci mon chou! Now then…" She moves to inspect the machine. "This looks overheated."
Many pokemon turn to look at Sam.
Sam Spade: "Now I know why you're here! You're here for Tim and his healing machine!"
Linnea: "Hellooooooo!"
Sam Spade: "But they tell me that the machine is working too hard and…something about something."
Beads of sweat slowly run down Tim's face as he processes one batch of pokemon after the next.
Sam Spade: "I'm sorry, they tried to explain, but the only one that made sense was when they told me the magic smoke was about to get out of it."
Sam Spade grimaces.
Sam Spade: "I don't really get technology that well."
Linnea: "It's overloading."
Sam Spade: "Something like that."
Esme tries to remove some paneling to check the internals without getting burned in the process.
Sam Spade: "Anyway, they need to do something? to fix it, which may be as simple as spraying water on it or may be as complicated as pulling all the pieces to let them dry in the sun? I don't know."
Sam Spade: "But we can help at least a few of you over here if you need it. Just to give them some time while they get the machine sorted out."
Sam Spade: "…Is that okay?"
Linnea starts setting up a makeshift medical station, placing various patches and bandages here and there.
Sam Spade is bright and cheerful and charming and personable and not at all panicking.
Less than the entire machine is red-hot, so Esme easily finds ways to look at the guts. Said guts, though, are in near-constant use - thus the heat.
The part of the crowd looking at Sam and Linnea mutter, send glances to the long line to the wailord, and converge on the station en masse.
Esme: "Hrmm."
It feels kind of like a swarm battle, without the battle.
Linnea cracks her knuckles. "Form up orderly now. One at a time, rougher injuries first."
Sam Spade frowns.
Sam Spade: "Huh. Some of the pressure off Tim, but not enough maybe."
Esme perks up, seeing the crowd instead set their sights on Sam and Linn. "Oh. Right. Work quickly!" She pulls out a blue shard, and a bit of leftover scrap. "Let's see if I can hobble together a heat sink while they're distracted."
Sam Spade: "….Kinda tempted to do something rash, but nah, long term consquences."
Linnea: "What's that, Sam?"
[OOC] WC GM: Esme: Tech Ed check
Sam Spade: "Nothing, I don't want to distract you."
Sam Spade: "…And starting a riot would definitely distract you…"
Esme rolled up 6d6+1: 17 (2 4 2 6 1 1) (Science!)
Linnea: "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaam."
Linnea: "We were avoiding a riot in the first place."
The heat sink at least greatly slows further heat buildup, though Esme spies a new problem: Tim begins to shake, breathing hard. It seems the technological component of the operation is not tne only thing beginning to wear out.
Esme replaces the paneling. "And for problem two…" She moves to pick up Tim, whether he liks it or not, and put him away from the machine. "Take a break."
Sam Spade: "I know, I know, plus it'd distract you. And Esme. And Tim."
The customers who had been about to be served begin to pile up. Sam's mental pre-riot detector pings.
Tim, at least, is in no condition to effectively protest.
Linnea: "Calmly now! Crowding around like this will only worsen your conditions! You will be treated one at a time!"
[OOC] Linnea: Can I roll Command?
Esme slips out her totally-not-pokedex in which a certain assistant had been resting. "Luc, mind taking over the machine for a bit?"
Sam Spade takes advantage of the crowd around Linnea to move to the crowd around the wailord.
Sam Spade: "Excuse me!"
Sam Spade: "Hi! How are you?"
In a surge of electricity and goo(?) Lucrece emerges! It chirps in assurance before assimilating with the Pokecenter machine.
Esme: "Temporary solution, at least for a bit. Should reduce wear as well, Luc's efficient!"
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea: sure
Linnea rolled 4d6+1 and got 5, 3, 3, 3 ( Total: 15.0 )
The crowd grumbles but obeys, shifting from a swarm around Linnea's position to a queue that just happens to encircle it like a seviper.
Sam Spade: "Now I no nobody likes waiting, but that thing is glowing red, that's not good."
Sam Spade: "So why don't we spend some time while she's fixing it talking?"
Sam Spade: "So, I think they call this triage - is there anyone at risk of permanent damage if they don't get helped quick?"
Esme finally, takes a few red shards and grasps them in her palm. A few moments, a flash from within, and a sharp *TWING* later, a makeshift Fire Bracer. "I'll need this back, but I can slap it here on the back to at least get the rest of the excess heat… should be good to go now!"
Crowd At Machine: "My leg's broke." "My back is sore." "My wings won't let me fly yet." "I've got a claw in my chest." "That's because you're carrying it there. You're fine." "Someone put a poison needle in my breakfast apple."
Sam Spade: "Aww, that one's just mean."
Sam Spade: "…Unless they're Poison type and they were just trying to claim your apple I suppose."
Esme claps her hands together and calls out to her comrades. "We should be good to go again over here!"
Sam Spade: "And please! Orderly fashion! Esme's tougher than Tim, she won't be happy if you rush her."
The crowd at the machine pushes itself onto said machine, resuming the rush.
Linnea: "Sheesh…"
Sam Spade: "AND YOU WON'T LIKE IT IF SHE'S NOT HAPPY!"
[OOC] Sam Spade: Putting some Command into that if I may?
[OOC] WC GM: You may.
Sam Spade rolled up 6d6+1: 20 (5 3 3 2 2 4) (Command)
Sam Spade: "So please! Neat, orderly line! Friendly line!"
Sam Spade: "Because if she's not happy she'll be sad, and if she's sad, I'll be sad, and we'll all be sad…"
Between Sam's coaching, and the limited space on the gangway, a line - somewhat akin to flow through a high-pressure pipe - resumes toward the machine.
It takes roughly another hour of work, but with the help of Linnea's station, eventually the surge subsides to a low flow, before administrators from the hospital plant a sign in front of the wailord saying, "Stop pestering our visitors. If you're hurt, the nearest care center is two blocks up the street."
The administrator - a human, for once, in white scrubs - bows to the party. "Sorry about this."
Sam Spade: "Oh thank goodness."
Sam Spade hugs the administrator. She looks exhausted. She may even *be* exhausted but you'd never know.
Esme wipes the sweat off her brow, having done another series of tune-ups. "Wait, they're gone? Are we finally done?"
Linnea: "I hope so…!"
The amdinistrator - a middle-aged woman, dark hair in a professional bun - returns the hug. "And on behalf of the care centers, I apologize for, ahem, 'borrowing' your friend. We had many questions for him. He will be back here later tonight, I promise."
Tim is fast asleep, Sands standing watch over him.
The machine finally stops glowing red after some minutes.
Esme knocks on the machine after it cools down. Luc all but oozes out with a low 'boop', utterly deflated. She lifts it up, placing it on the machine. "There there, you've earned your own turn."
Sam Spade: "Thank you, ma'am."
Sam Spade yawns.
[OOC] WC GM: Fast forward to morning?
[OOC] Sam Spade: Works.
[OOC] Esme: Zoom zoom
Sleep eventually comes for the party as well - and by the time they wake, the wailord is already in motion. Tim and Skel are making breakfast; Max is back but asleep, and Melo-in-skitty-form is catnapping.
Tim: "Good morning! Skel showed up before you woke, so I figured we should just get going."
Esme snores, lying in a pile of Cleanse Tags she had apparently been working on throughout the night.
[OOC] WC GM: Actually - given the time, let's wrap up here.
[OOC] Esme: Gonna roll these real quick then
Esme rolled up 6d6: 22 (1 3 6 6 5 1)
Esme rolled up 6d6: 24 (5 6 4 5 2 2)
Esme rolled up 6d6: 21 (4 3 4 1 3 6)
[OOC] WC GM: Yeah - you can still get in a quick dowse. Esme may have woken during the early morning for it, then went back to bed.
[OOC] WC GM: Linnea too?
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 4 2 1 2 6 2 4 (1 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 4 2 5 5 3 4 (0 explosions)
Linnea rolled up 6d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 2 1 5 4 6 5 3 (1 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6 6 4: 38 (6 1 6 3 4 5 4 2 4 3) 6 () 4 ()
[OOC] Esme: doi
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 2 6 4 5 1 4 4 3 2 5 3 (1 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 5 3 1 2 5 4 2 6 4 2 4 (1 explosions)
Esme rolled up 10d6, success >= 4, exploding >= 6: 2 5 2 5 4 6 5 4 5 2 3 (1 explosions)
[OOC] WC GM: Also, +1 trainer level for all for clearing the island without causing a riot, on any of multiple possible occasions.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Yaaaaay
[OOC] Esme: Yaaaay no riots
[OOC] Sam Spade: In which case Sam now has Move Tutor
[OOC] Esme: Can I have gone down by the harbor to get Blue?
[OOC] WC GM: Or better yet: dowse while underway. Get shards from the open ocean.
[OOC] WC GM: They're blue.
[OOC] WC GM: Anything else, or shall I logend?
[OOC] Esme: All good here
[OOC] Linnea: all good.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License