Session 88

[OOC] WC GM: Take it away, Pen!
[OOC] WC GM: And anyone else who's doing stuff just before bedtime.
Linnea stumbles out of her room sleepily. It seems like she's wearing a new hat - purple, fluffy, stereotypically witchy-shaped. It cackles. Wait, no, that would be Foless, now a Mismagius, who takes to the air and floats about happily, reveling in her newly boosted levitational powers.
As much as Esme is looking forward finally to sleep in a bed as opposed to the back of a whale, she's finally got a chance to get some work done. She gets together that bit of scrap she salvaged back in Sandbar and begins hammering away into the night on her latest test.
Morning, when it comes, comes with the scent of bacon, waffles, and coffee.
Sam Spade: "…Food!"
Linnea: "COFFEE."
Linnea follows the scent, her ghostly pal wheeling through the air close by.
Arrival at the kitchen finds bacon - and berries of various kinds - in the waffles. Coffee, tea, and milk are to the side. A special mug has been set up for Linnea; notably, the four parents are staying clear of the line between said mug and Linnea.
Linnea: "…"
Sam Spade: "…Good morning."
Linnea just flat stares, messy hair and droopy expression radiating "what" .
Sam Spade: "…Well *you* look different, Foless!"
Esme is (somewhat) unceremoniously carried into the kitchen over Gervais' shoulder. Looks like she's not completely awake yet.
Amelia seems to be leading the cooking, Luchs looking on and taking notes. Lambert and Saya are quietly chatting.
Linnea: "Yeah, she got all magic and magnificent. I think she found the dusk stone I had been working on while we were adventuring. Good for her, really."
Max Thorn seemingly teleports from bed to a chair in the dining room, with no intervening stops. There must have been one, since he's dressed and wasn't when he'd gone to bed, but…
An espeon head-and-tail balances a plate laden with food, carrying it to just in front of Max. An umbreon likewise ferries a cup of coffee to him.
Linnea: "So, what's the mission for today, huh? I was hopin' I'd have the time to go out and pick up some stuff before we head out again?"
Sam Spade: "I think they want us to chase down the rest of Stormderp."
Max Thorn transfers both to the table in front of him, giving each eeveelution a scritch between the ears and some petting before they move on. "Mornin', my dears. Hi, Mom."
Sam Spade: "We had a talk with the Xatu last night, but they didn't leave town."
Luchs: "As expected, what's left of Team Stormcloud didn't make much of a fuss last night: they were licking their wounds and seeking shelter. But if you could please make sure they're all out of town by sunset."
Amelia: "Good morning, kiddo. Luchs here has been giving me some new recipes."
Luchs: "You're doing fine with them."
Saya gives Linnea an approving glance. "I must say, I like your new hat."
Esme: "Mor-*yawn*-niing." She pats Gervais, who sets her down.
Lambert eyes Esme, then asks Sam, "Is she the type you have to funnel coffee into? Because we have a funnel."
Amelia chuckles and gently elbows Lambert. "Now, now, dear."
Linnea: "I mean, you can certainly try. It sure would explain a lot."
Sam Spade: "I have to admit, that seems dangerous at best."
Sam Spade: "…Though something looks different about you, Esme."
Sam Spade: "Were you up late working?"
Esme: "Mmm?"
Esme: "Ahh~. Keen as always Sam."
Esme taps her bracelets, which look a bit different from yesterday. "Third revision! Incorporated a bunch of the stuff we salvaged in Sandbar. Probably won't cause any memory loss."
Max Thorn: "'Probably'?"
Linnea: "That's comforting."
Sam Spade: "That's disconcerting. At best."
Esme: "I mean, there's no /reason/ it should."
Esme: "But I threw a Psychic Plate in there, so who knows."
Sam Spade: "Uh….huh."
Linnea: "…"
Max Thorn: "I…see."
Esme: "Well I used-" She points to the anklets. "A Normal on those, and-" The clasp on her her belt. "A Steel on that one, and nothing weird has happened yet."
Linnea: "Esme, do we even know what weird means anymore?"
Esme eyes Linnea. "It can always get weirder."
Linnea: "Now I'm curious."
Esme: "Still worried my hair is going to change like Max over there. I like my hair!"
Luchs: "By the way, once you're up and about, I got a message from Nurse Joy last night. Some friends of yours checked into the pokemon center. I told her to tell them you were here, and that I'd ask you to check in on them in the morning."
Linnea: "Oh? Did they say which friends?"
Lambert: "That'd be the ones searching hard for the gym? I noticed a bunch of pointed searches on the town's network last night after all of you had gone to bed. I, ah, may have modified the results so you could get some sleep."
Linnea: "Much appreciated. Though, that's more than a little concerning."
Luchs shrugs. "Some lady in white, a kid, a sandshrew, and a marowak. The kid was doing the talking."
Linnea: "Huh."
Max Thorn eyes Esme. "I don't think you'll have to worry about your hair. They all have their own ways of marking their own. Right, Lin?"
Linnea: "Ehehe…"
Sam Spade: "Ah, yeah, they are in fact our friends. I think."
Max Thorn: "Traveling companions would probably be a better way to put it. The marowak came with us from Gaela."
Amelia raises an eyebrow and looks at Max. "If she's from Gaela, does she talk?"
Sam Spade: "She does! Her name is Skel, and she's a researcher."
Sam Spade: "…Who was sort of dragooned into coming with us. She's still a bit…nervous. Around trainers."
Max Thorn: "Yup. But she's probably keeping a low profile due to Amoda's reputation there."
Lambert: "A researcher? Well. I'd like to speak with her, if you can get her over here."
Amelia: "Now, dear."
Linnea: "Just be respectful about it and there should be no issue, assuming they have the time."
Lambert: "Professional connections!"
Esme: "She's into shardwork. Very much worth it, if you can get her to talk to you."
Esme: "But yes, very nervous, at the moment."
Max Thorn sends Tim a message for Skel, indicating that his parents would be interested in talking with her and that he'll vouch for their being good people.
Luchs: "Our house will be more than welcoming to your friends. It'd be nice to hear how Gaela's getting along."
Max's pokedex soon rings with an incoming call.
Max Thorn answers. "Hello?"
Tim: "WHERE ARE YOU?!? I spent an hour searching the net last night and it kept telling me to go to bed! I think one of the administrators was trolling me."
Lambert at least has the courtesy to look sheepish.
Max Thorn: "With my parents," Max says mildly. "And yes, they were-to ensure /we/ got our sleep, at least."
Tim: "Nurse Joy would only say you're at the gym, but I can't find a gym anywhere in this town!"
Max Thorn: "She was protecting our sleep too, but since we're all up now…" He gives Tim the address.
Haley: "He did search the town, once we got in. I think this town being so nice has him on edge."
Tim: "Be right over!" He hangs up.
Two minutes later, the doorbell rings.
Max Thorn puts his 'dex back into his pocket. "That'll be them."
Saya: "Could someone get it?"
Antheia floats over to the door and opens it, then smiles and steps to the side.
Tim walks through, looking around. Sands, Haley, and Skel are behind him, in that order.
Tim: "So…the gym is somewhere in here?"
Luchs smiles. "Welcome, traveler, to the Brooktale Gym!"
Max Thorn: "Hey, guys."
Tim: "…" He blinks. "Since when is a house a gym?"
Linnea: "Since…well, family's house, family calls the shots."
Linnea: "Heheh."
Linnea: "It's certainly big enough to include one!"
Haley nods. "A gym is wherever and whatever the gym leader says it is."
Luchs: "Oh! YOU'RE the new Sandbar gym leader I heard about."
Max Thorn: "I've heard there are gym leaders who don't bother having a formal gym, and just conduct business wherever they happen to be."
Saya looks at Luchs, looks at Haley, then loud-whispers to Linnea, "Introducing gym leaders to one another is normal for you?"
Linnea: "To be honest, I don't know what's normal anymore."
Luchs nods. "That's right. Some of the tales I've heard of Bay Island's gym leader - heh, I heard she even tried to meddle in a gym badge tournament held all the way over in Dojoholm not too long ago."
Sam Spade: "And Metro City."
Max Thorn: "'Normal' is in the eye of the behol-ack!" The eevee who'd been following Max yesterday picks that moment to jump up onto him, from floor to lap to shoulder to head.
Max Thorn: "…You're pretty adamant about sticking with me, aren't you." He scritches the eevee, who chirps cheerfully in response.
Tim, likewise, is currently buried in flareon, vaporeon, and jolteon apparently practicing licks and short-range tackles ( "Cuddle" not being an officially recognized move).
Linnea: "Maybe you'll have a new friend to go with you?"
Linnea: "There certainly seems to be no shortage of 'vees in your family."
Esme: "The Bay Island leader is somewhat…eccentric, but she's away on personal matters for a bit."
Lambert: "Any of them you befriend, if they want to go with you, take 'em."
Luchs: "Oh? You know her too?"
Saya: "I heard she's been pining for a lost lover."
Sam Spade: "Not anymore!"
Esme snorts. "Not anymore."
Esme: "Heh."
Max Thorn: "My parents've been raising them for decades, so yeah."
Sam Spade: "That's the personal business."
Linnea: "Maybe I could use a vee…but my roster's filling up. I wonder, I wonder…"
Max Thorn: "I think everyone's has been, Lin. Feel free to make a fuzzy friend."
Skel is sticking to the wall, just taking this all in with wide eyes.
Haley looks at Max and Linnea, then the four parents. "…huh. So…you're related to them?"
Linnea leans down and earscritches a nearby Eevee, who churrs happily.
Max Thorn gently pokes his rider. "If you're gonna come with me, you should at least go say hi to my friend over there." The eevee headtilts, then chirps again and bounds back down to the ground and pads over to Skel.
Linnea gestures toward her parents while continuing to dote upon the little foxlike critter. "Yeah. Luchs, Saya."
Max Thorn: "Yup. Mom" -he gestures to Amelia, then to Lambert- "and Dad."
The four parents bow as one, then Luchs steps forward to shake Haley's hand. "New gym leader, huh? If you've got some time, I should acquaint you with the basics."
Haley: "That'd be great. Your children are heroes, sir."
Linnea: "Ah…gosh…"
Luchs: "You can tell me all about it once they're out on their gym challenge."
Linnea picks up and hugs the 'vee to hide a slowly spreading blush. The creature didn't expect to be used as a mask, and squirms. "Oof- sorry…"
Max's eevee headtilts at the marowak, a curious expression on her face. She chirps in greeting, which actually vaguely sounds like "hi" .
Skel looks at the eevee, eyes a bit wide. "…hello?"
The eevee flicks her tail, and she continues on with some more chirps. She offers her name, which doesn't translate in to Amodan or, really, any other human tongue, and inquires after Skel's.
Sands prods Tim and points at the party, prompting Tim's response. "Oh, right. Ah…I checked, and there are no local Team Jaeger resources other than you. So I need to ask you to enforce security on our behalf: apparently, some of those Stormcloud pokemon are still around and set to cause trouble."
Skel: "…Skel. Just, Skel."
Sam Spade: "Ha! That's fine. That's our gym challenge, actually."
Tim: "Yeah, figures. Priority targets are the bank and the pokemart: we're worried about robberies."
Linnea: "Oh, dear."
Tim: "We don't know what their objective is, but we think they were intending to regroup in Sky City with whatever loot they could carry."
Tim: "So, please make sure they don't loot this city. Petro Swamp they'll probably just move through without sticking around, for…err, reasons you already know."
The eevee responds with a few more chirps, and she /almost/ manages to keep Skel's name intact. ( "Pleased to meet you, Skel." )
Linnea: "Tryin' to carry loot through a bloody swamp…They keep getting dafter and dafter."
Tim: "Easier than moving through Elysium unopposed."
Max Thorn: "I think the aggrons and so on will move on on their own accord; they were focused on cleaning up the wreckage, last night."
Skel continues to stare at the eevee, then tentatively gives a few headscritches.
The eevee wags, leaning in to them.
Sands tilts his head, frowning a bit, at this before slowly moving in to very carefully give chinscritches in complement to Skel's.
The eevee wags more, looking pleased by the attention.
Tim: "Anyway, I've passed word to the bank's shift director to expect you to show up some time in the next hour, so he can go over security with you. Apparently he has a Stormcloud nest under video surveillance, so you can start there."
Luchs: "…you're talking like you're a Jaeger admin."
Max Thorn: "It's…complicated. But he has authority."
Tim nods. "What Max said. And while they're dealing with the bank, I'd like to talk to you about your children helping me overthrow my dad."
Sam Spade: "If it helps, the Stormderp Prophet actually thinks Tim is *the* Jaeger admin."
The eevee chirps again, then bounds back over to Max and up on to his head.
Skel looks slightly disappointed, but at least is not completely wallflowering now.
Max Thorn: "I'm sure the other eevees and eeveelutions would love to hang out with you, Skel. If you're willing, that is. Or you could talk with my and Lin's parents."
Sam Spade: "Or you could come with us. But that might cause problems with you for Stormder- er, cloud."
Tim looks to the party. "Oh! Nurse Joy asked me to ask my enforcers - that'd be you - to be a bit sensitive with the bank director. Apparently she washed out of the police, so they sent her to the town where there was no real need for a police officer."
Max Thorn: "I…see."
Tim: "So, ah, try not to bring that up."
Sam Spade: "…So don't call her Bank Officer Jenny."
Max Thorn: "I mean, Brooktale /is/ one of the safest cities in Amoda."
Sands tugs Skel's hand, gently dragging her toward the back where the remaining eevees and eeveelutions are.
Saya smiles. "THE safest. Well, after Elysium."
Linnea: "…Chilling."
Max Thorn: "All right, guess we'd better get going, then."
Saya: "They only have to worry about the dead. Have you been to Elysium? I hear it's quiet and relaxing and *boring*, with not much to do all day but meditate and pray and have funerals."
Saya: "Oh, and make soup. I heard there's this cauldron a lot of them tend to lately?"
Esme: "We fixed the ghost sea, so probably?"
Sam Spade: "Who knows? There's a lot of rebuilding going on there."
Saya: "Ghost…sea…?"
Sam Spade: "Which wasn't our fault."
Esme: "…Might need a new Gym Leader though."
Esme: "Also not our fault."
Tim: "I'll tell you all about it."
Tim: "But that soup was made of thousands of souls."
Lambert: "…well, then. Have fun at the bank!"
Max Thorn: "I'm not sure I'd want to step out of line in a city where doing so could get you a new companion, in the worst possible way."
[OOC] WC GM: Doing anything en route to the bank?
[OOC] Linnea: I'll save my shopping until after we check out/save the mart, it's no rush.
[OOC] Linnea: The bank is the bigger deal here.
Linnea recalls Foless for the time being, sending out Lulim. The Absol is the real enforcer of Linnea's gang, after all.
Antheia stays behind, but Titania pops out of her ball to tag along.
Chicklet walks proudly alongside Sam!
Esme struts alongside Gervais.
Amodan National Bank is…actually somewhat rare. Although almost every city has an ATM, the only actual offices are here, Metro Beach, Wirehold, and Scale Mount.
And the branch offices are small, part of other buildings.
[OOC] Max Thorn: To be fair, modern banking completely obviates the need for branch offices, and presumably ANB makes full and extensive use of 'dex features to support depositing cheques, paystubs, etc.
Here…this is a bank. A friendly but secure glass (actually probably transparent plastic) front facade, bricks allegedly backed by reinforced steel plating on all other sides. Supposedly they selected the material based on what multiple hyper beams failed to penetrate.
[OOC] WC GM: Almost completely. There are still a few things one may need to walk in and talk to someone about, such as loans. But yes, most banking in Amoda is electronic, and linked to pokedexes and the like.
Neatly trimmed bushes and mowed grass frame the back and sides of the bank.
One tree, toward the back of the lot, looks out of place, its roots causing small hills in the grass.
Max Thorn eyes the tree. Is that a sudowoodo?
Hard to tell without getting close, but if it is, it's a giant of its kind.
It is the right proportions, though. And the bark does seem suspiciously smooth.
There seems to be something like a treehouse in its branches.
Max Thorn walks toward it, cautiously.
Which definitely seems off. A treehouse, on bank property?
The tree does not immediately react.
Sam Spade: "Excuse me, do you know if they're open yet?"
[OOC] WC GM: Who is Sam speaking to?
[OOC] Sam Spade: The tree
There is no immediate answer.
Max Thorn has a closer look at the tree.
Max Thorn rolled up 6d6: 17 (1 2 4 6 3 1) (Pokémon Ed)
At close range…yep, it's no tree. The big giveaway is when the brances move out of the way of twin cannons, looking like a blastoise's, slowly emerging from the treehouse and aiming at the party.
Sam Spade: "Now that's just rude."
Linnea: "Welp."
Sam Spade: "We're just friendly visitors, couldn't you give us some directions?"
Sam Spade bats her lashes at the angry tree.
There is a bit of very muffled muttering coming from the treehouse.
[OOC] WC GM: Perception check, anyone looking at the cannons.
Max Thorn rolled up 5d6: 14 (2 6 2 3 1) (Perception)
Sam Spade rolled up 5d6: 14 (2 1 2 5 4) (Perception)
Esme: "We getting shot at?"
Max Thorn: "I would strongly advise you to move on, my friend, and /not/ attempt to raid the vault."
Linnea rolled up 3d6: 14 (6 2 6)
Sam Spade: "Only if we keep standing between the guns and the vault."
Linnea: "Yeah, they're trying to kill two birds with one stone here…"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Anything from the PokéManiac check?
Sam Spade tries again with a little more *oomph*, and flutters her lashes at the thing. Baby-Doll Eyes!
[OOC] WC GM: PMing that now.
Sam Spade rolled up 1d20: 12 (12) (AC 2, and no crits.)
[OOC] Sam Spade: Sorry, to be clear - the sudowoodo can't crit for one full round.
Max Thorn: "Definitely a Sudowoodo. They've passengers."
Max Thorn: "…Lin, could you do up a Reflect?"
[OOC] WC GM: N/A, but I'll PM the reason, which Sam would get.
Titania moves out to be in front of Max, and looks anticipatory, somehow.
Sam Spade: "Shoot, those aren't his or her own cannons - and there's something…?"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Would either of Grassland or Forest be applicable terrains?"
[OOC] WC GM: Sorry, this is Town.
Linnea: "…I don't have that, I don't think…"
[OOC] Max Thorn: Nuts.
Esme grins. "Got ya covered!"
Sam Spade: "Those are definitely tank shells in there!"
[OOC] WC GM: Esme, setting up a Reflect? If so, give me a Occult check.
Esme rolled up 6d6+1: 27 (3 1 4 6 6 6) (Reflecto)
…it is not until afterward that the party's minds process the sequence of events:
The cannons fire. Esme's barrier begins forming. Two tank cannon shells strike the still-forming shield. The shells ricochet into the air. Esme's barrier finishes forming. The shells detonate. The party feels the shockwave, though mildly, through the barrier.
Sam Spade: "….I love you Esme-"
Linnea: "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEK-"
[OOC] WC GM: Party's actions?
Sam Spade: "Chicklet! Break the left cannon! Hit it as hard as you possibly can!" [Tagging the cannon, reckless advance]
Max Thorn: "…Right. A fight it is, then. Titania, wait for an attack you can actually Mimic, please."
[OOC] WC GM: Consider it as one round of combat, and the enemy's already acted. Esme's action was the end of the prior round.
[OOC] Max Thorn: Unless she can mimic the cannons, that is. which I doubt.
Linnea claps her hands together, reinforcing the existing barrier with an [Aromatic Mist]! All allies in range (burst 1) get +1 Sp.Def CS!
[OOC] WC GM: The cannons, yes. The tank shells, no.
Lulim paws the ground eagerly, making ready for battle. [Swords Dance]
[OOC] WC GM: The cannons were Hydro Cannon with ammunition.
[OOC] Sam Spade: Are they targetable?
Titania seems to grin maliciously, and two ghostly cannons of her own materialize. [Mimic]
[OOC] WC GM: They are. Your best guess is they belong to a blastoise staying otherwise just out of sight.
Gervais cracks his knuckles, and [Hone]s his [Claws]!
Chicklet darts up the tree, wingtips clenched into fists! FLAME CHARGE!
Max Thorn , in the meantime, pulls out a coin and flicks it at the sudowoodo. It…turns into a scattering of coins in the process. [Pay Day]
[OOC] WC GM: Roll attacks.
Linnea: "Nice, niiiiice."
Chicklet rolled up 1d20+1 2d6+10+18+8: 19 (18) 39 (1 2) (Trip on 18+ and +1 CS to Chicklet)
[OOC] Sam Spade: WOO! TRIP! Not crit, I think.
Max Thorn rolled up 1d20 1d8+28 1d8*36: 17 (17) 30 (2) 36 (1) (AC 2)
Esme tosses an X Attack at Gervais, who chomps it down.
The cannons retract - more like get shoved back - into the treehouse, which closes metal shutters.
The sudowoodo turns around, towering over the party and glaring at them…and then digs, at speed, into the ground!
Max Thorn: "Crap."
Linnea: "Y'know, I've seen a lot of shit in my life, but I've never seen a godsdamned tree burrow."
Esme grumbles. "Ground moves."
There is a big hole in the ground. What does the party do?
Linnea: "… Wait! They're going to burrow into the vault!"
Max Thorn: "Now would be an excellent time for the vault to levitate…"
Max Thorn texts the bank's security officer, warning her of a potential underground attack on the vault.
Linnea takes a quick look into the hole - is there enough of an angle to climb or tumble down instead of plummet?
Sam Spade: "Can we go that way? We should tell the bank what's going on."
The hole is near-vertical. Though there is at least room to fly down.
Sam Spade: "Come on!"
Linnea: "Someone fly down! The rest of us, let's see if we can meet them in the vault itself!"
Max quickly gets a reply that the floor is shielded, to thwart diggers.
There is a rumbling…
Max Thorn responds with, "Is the shielding strong enough to withstand a Mega Sudowoodo using Dig?"
Sam runs to the front of the bank, looks at the first security guard she sees, and says "Jaeger business! We need to talk to the bank manager…"
At first, it looks like the vault is trying to levitate.
Sam Spade: "NOW."
[OOC] Max Thorn: I swear to god, if there's a cartoonish 'BONG!' from this I'm leaving. :P
…and then, right in front of Sam, the whole bank rises up in the sudowoodo's arms.
Max Thorn: "…"
Sam Spade: "…Well."
That, at least, is a new form of bank robbery.
Titania aims at the sudowoodo with her ghostly cannons and lets rip.
[OOC] WC GM: Roll it!
Titania rolled up 1d20 4d10+28: 20 (20) 55 (8 8 5 6) (AC 4, Smite/Exhaust)
Max Thorn rolled up 4d10+75: 95 (5 4 4 7)
[OOC] WC GM: CRIT!
Linnea: "BLOODY HELL!"
[OOC] WC GM: …and it being super effective…eh, sure.
Water. On a sudowoodo. The titan SCREAMS mid-ascent, fumbles and lets the bank slide off, then leaps out and runs away!
Esme: "Hah!"
Max Thorn: "*Excellent* work, Titania!"
[OOC] WC GM: Let's call that +100 pokemon XP each.
Sam Spade: Sam runs to the door, grabs the guard's arm. "Are you okay? That was the weirdest kind of bank robbery I've ever seen."
The bank staff are shaken but apparently okay, as they get back to their feet.
Titania, for her part, just dazedly moves back to Max and pops back in to her ball.
The only guard visible is a certain green-haired lady who looks out of place in a business suit instead of a police uniform. While she does have a pistol, it is still holstered.
Linnea: "… Mel?"
DirectorJenny: "Are you from team Jaeger?"
Sam Spade: "Kind of?"
Sam Spade: "We're just trainers on our journey, but we're all the help that's available."
Linnea: "That."
Jenny gets back on her feet. "Thank you. I wasn't expecting them to try to steal the bank."
Max Thorn: "Truthfully, neither did we."
Linnea: "Pretty much that."
DirectorJenny: "We should be fine now. I'll…find some way to get the bank back in position."
Sam Spade: "…Okay. We'll…just go chase them, then. Thank you."
Sam Spade feels a little awkward.
Linnea: "Uh…later!"
Jenny points behind the party. "You might be too late, unless you can shoot down an airship."
Max Thorn turns 'round with a sigh.
Sam Spade does so as well.
Indeed, a few blocks away, several balloons - actually drifblims - are tearing the pokemart loose from its foundations.
Linnea: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOP FUCKING UP MY TOOOOOOOOOOOOWN."
Esme: "Going the direct route, huh."
Sam Spade: "Come on!"
Linnea grumbles and starts tearing off toward the pokemart, Lulim close by.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License